Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Olympic Games

Has anyone read this article about the new scoring system in gymnastics? I swear, you only have to change a few words here and there and voilà, you have an article about COP.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Has anyone read this article about the new scoring system in gymnastics? I swear, you only have to change a few words here and there and voilà, you have an article about COP.
    I just read it this morning, and I found it quite interesting. The Tech scores are very much like the CoP but the performance scores remain stead fast which is not like the CoP. A gymnast can indeed get a perfect performance score. I like that aspect better than giving points to so many of the component scores. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I just read it this morning, and I found it quite interesting. The Tech scores are very much like the CoP but the performance scores remain stead fast which is not like the CoP. A gymnast can indeed get a perfect performance score. I like that aspect better than giving points to so many of the component scores. JMO.
    Thank you for the article, I had heard that there was a new scoring system in gymnastics.The article was quite interesting.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I heard this too this morning. Also nbcolympics.com is reporting that Chelsie Memmell is hurt as well but she will be competition but it might only be on the uneven bars!!! But they are not sure...the women start this Sunday.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Oh no! Poor Chelsie. Life is so unfair sometimes.

It was just reported that Sasha Artemev will replace Morgan Hamm.

As for Chelsie Memmel...she apparently injured her ankle in training on Monday and during podium training this week, she has only been doing the bars. However, there are only two women that could go to the all around final and I don't think that the US team would have picked her to go...that's a lock for Shawn and Nastia.

I could just scream with frustration. And cry. It just doesn't seem fair, but that's elit sports for ya.

I should be studying!
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    As for Chelsie Memmel...she apparently injured her ankle in training on Monday and during podium training this week, she has only been doing the bars. However, there are only two women that could go to the all around final and I don't think that the US team would have picked her to go...that's a lock for Shawn and Nastia.
    The US team would not have a choice about who is going to the all-around final. That is determined by the top two finishers in each team's preliminaries. Chelsie, if healthy, could have knocked one of them out of the all-around.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
    Oh no!!!!!! Not Morgan! I found out about Chelsea Memmel the other day but at least (thus far!) she can compete! If Artemov can do his routines consistantly (yes, this is a big "if") then the US men can still have a shot at the podium. Of course I am always happy to see any outstading athlete from any given country compete!

Bring on the Olympics!

eliza88

Quote Originally Posted by Alsace View Post
    The US team would not have a choice about who is going to the all-around final. That is determined by the top two finishers in each team's preliminaries. Chelsie, if healthy, could have knocked one of them out of the all-around.

I don't think that anyone had a change of beating Nastia and Shawn. They are heavily favored to win.

I probably should have been more clean about that in my message. I know that the US doesn't have a choice in picking who goes to the all around.

Equestrian competition. And it's not on at 3 am!

The equestrian television coverage schedule is as follows:

Date: Program-Time (EST) on Channel
    Aug. 9: Eventing: Dressage-2:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. on USA
    Aug. 11: Eventing: Cross- Country- 6:00pm-8:00pm OXYGEN
    Aug. 12: Eventing: Jumping Team Gold Medal Final-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
    Aug. 13: Dressage-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
    Aug. 14: Dressage Team Gold Medal Final-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
    Aug. 15: Show Jumping-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
    Aug. 16: Dressage Individual - 5:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. MSNBC
    Aug. 17: Show Jumping Team Gold Medal Final 1st Round-10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m on NBC
    Aug. 18: Show Jumping Team Gold Medal Final Round- 6:00pm-8:00 p.m. OXYGEN
    Aug. 19: Dressage Individual Gold Medal Final - 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
    Aug. 21: Show Jumping Individual Gold Medal Final- 10:00am- 1:00 pm on NBC

NBC actually managed to get the IOC to change the gymanastics and swimming shedule to the morming (like 7 am China time) so it could be shown live in the US!! They are 12 hours ahead of the East Coast of the US. If you watch the today show they are televising from China at night and the nightime News is televising from China in the morning.

Today on the Today show they were interviewing Roddy Gaines, who is doing the swimming commentary. He was saying that Michael Phelps was going to have to start his competitions at like 7 in the morning!!! He said that it was a big adjustment for the swimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    NBC actually managed to get the IOC to change the gymanastics and swimming shedule to the morming (like 7 am China time) so it could be shown live in the US!!
    Wow, that is nice, to be able to see the event live rather on tape. Does anyone know when this event will take place?

Actually swimming starts on Sunday and ends on August 21st.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast