Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Olympic Games

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    All swimmers who compeated in the relay at any point in the competetion get medals if the team wins one.

Thank you, Silverblades........that's what I was hoping......42

I really felt good about Jason Lezak getting his first Olympic medal, a bronze. He'll have that for the rest of his life. After all, he deserved something for saving the US team in that first relay.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 08-15-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Jason

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Hooray for Jason Lezak

This gave me a chuckle.
    The Brazilian beach volleyball team chose a rather odd place to put their 3 letter country code:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/mm/photo/...121203_m03.jpg
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 08-15-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Hooray for Jason Lezak

This gave me a chuckle.
    The Brazilian beach volleyball team chose a rather odd place to put their 3 letter country code:

OOPS - This early dimentia, or is a just a senior moment? I think his name was Jason and not Justin.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 08-15-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: It was Jason--I changed it above for both our sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    This gave me a chuckle.

that is ... wow

am I the only one who is really tired of the Michael Phelps love fest? Last time I checked he wasn't the only one on the team (and in that relay he wasn't even the one who saved the day IMHO!) blah.

NBC is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    am I the only one who is really tired of the Michael Phelps love fest? Last time I checked he wasn't the only one on the team (and in that relay he wasn't even the one who saved the day IMHO!) blah.
    There are three topics in the US-american media (I mean la times, nyt, sports illustrated, USA today): Phelps, Gymnastics, and the bad bad China

I found that out while I tried to find a report on Shalane Flanagan in the newspapers. She won Bronze for the US in the 10 000 meters today. Which is a fantastic achievement, she has beaten the Kenyans, the Russians and had a fantastic competition. But apparently nobody noticed.

If they can prove that some of the Chinese ladies are underage, that would be a bit of cheating given the age rule. Think Asada in 2006. Not to my liking but most poster then stressed the Rule.

However, I think there is too much fuss over the lipsyncing. It is after all just entertainment. No medals were awarded.

Custom Title

age controversial

In a documentary made in 2003 about China's preparation for 2008 Olympics (Dream Weaver Beijing2008), Deng linlin and Jiang Yuyuan, among others, were filmed entered chinese gymnastic national team at 2003 at age 11 and 12.

So, how old are they in 2008?

the youtube link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUGx-...eature=related

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    NBC is annoying.
    Toni, Toni, I love Michael. He gives his team mates all the credit. He is great sportsman. Matter of fact I have been thinking of changing my avatar to Michael.

Dee

Landing my axel..............again skatergirl45's Avatar
    I like Micheal, but so many others have won medals at the Olympics. The Olympics are not about how many medals you can win but about trying your best on the world's biggest stage.

Also, how many Americans know that an American qualified for the finals of the stepplechase? How many know what the steeplechase is?

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl45 View Post
    I like Micheal, but so many others have won medals at the Olympics. The Olympics are not about how many medals you can win but about trying your best on the world's biggest stage.

Also, how many Americans know that an American qualified for the finals of the stepplechase? How many know what the steeplechase is?
    I have the same problem with posters in figure skating who are not interested in the whole sport (except one division), and ignore upcoming talent in Juniors and Novice, but that's been changing lately. Maybe if there was (is) and Equestrian Forum might give you more discussion to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Toni, Toni, I love Michael. He gives his team mates all the credit. He is great sportsman. Matter of fact I have been thinking of changing my avatar to Michael.

Dee
    well I don't see him that way, but more power to his fans... I just get tired of the Olympics coverage being all about his events. There are other sports, and way better stories in the games than Michael Phelps.

Unfortuantely, none of them sell as much as the Michael Phelps story. NBC's ratings increased each day he won another gold.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I just get tired of the Olympics coverage being all about his events. There are other sports, and way better stories in the games than Michael Phelps.
    Toni, that's not Michael's fault. What has he done that makes you dislike him so much? I did my own research on him and what he has accomplished has touched me so much. I love how he says you can do what you set your mind out to do. When I worked with disable children one of the things I would not allow them to say was I can't before even trying. This is one of the stories about his life that really touched me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/sp...ewanted=1&_r=3

Another thing I like so much about him is his devotion to his mother and sisters. There is not many times that after he competes does he not go and give his flowers to his mom. The look in the below picture made me cry....because that's how my mom used to look at each of her children. It's almost like he's saying...did I do OK, mom??

Yes, there were other wonderful stories but the comments made were about Michael and I responded to those comments.

Dee

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast