The Olympic Games | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Olympic Games

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I just don't come away from any of his interviews thinking 'what a genuine guy' he just rubs me wrong. I think he buys into the media's portrayal of him... kinda like Evan Lysacek in the last couple of years...

yes, it's not his fault that the media loves him, but I dunno... his demeaner just isn't my style I guess.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I love Michael Phelps! He seems a humble guy and cares about others very much. I also loved Jason Lezak, a hero in Michael's quest. With some luck, Michael has accomplished something that no one will ever surpass in the near future. Such accomplishment deserves media's hype and center of the attention. I, for one, loved Michael stories and never felt enough of the coverage.:bow:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Do you also have trouble to decide what to watch sometimes? Right now there was football (some people on this world have the audacity to call it soccer), on the other channel cycling, then on one channel there was synchronised swimming, then there was of course gymnastics on another channel - I went with that in the end (was worth it: the Ukranian on the Bronze spot looks like he is tearing up every second, he never won anything before this day!).

Unfortuantely, none of them sell as much as the Michael Phelps story. NBC's ratings increased each day he won another gold.
That's what it is all about. NBC knows how to sell their wares and Phelps is the biggest ware. Ratings were zooming. Another big seller will be the Decathalon if and only if the US has a standout. Some of those US sprinters were not at their best. Carl Lewis, where are you?

gio

Medalist
Women volleyball

USA team today beat Italy 3-2 in quarterfinals. I didn't expect that, because last year Italy won the Europeans and the World Cup with ease and I was expecting them to medal.

China beat Russia for 3-0. Russia won the World Championships in 2006 and is out.

Russia and Italy, the two reigning World champions are already out in quarterfinals.

USA will face Cuba (92, 96 and 00 Olympic Champion) and China (04 Olympic Champion) will meet Brazil.

You have to be proud of your girls!!! The US team is really good. Logan Tom, Lindsey Berg, Tayyiba Haneef, Kimberly Glass, Danielle Scott, Heather Bown such great stars.

What about those Jamaican sprinters? Can Jamaica produce a runner for the mile or more? The Hurdles seem to be for the US. We'll see what the Boldt of Lightning will do next.

Medusa

Record Breaker
What about those Jamaican sprinters? Can Jamaica produce a runner for the mile or more? The Hurdles seem to be for the US. We'll see what the Boldt of Lightning will do next.

I should be happy that the Jamaicans are kicking some US-butt - but this pesky human rights situation there is spoiling my fun (+ the questionable doping policies). Same with China, I always wished that there was a country that would take over the summer medals table (the way Germany stole the top spot at the last winter olympics :clap:) - but does it have to be China? Why not Australia, France or the UK? I want the US back on top... I just can't be happy if countries like China, North Korea etc. win so much, of course I can be happy for the athlete himself - but it somehow seems a bit bitter at times.

Isn't there an impartial medical screening to test for Dope? I know its a random test, so some athletes take the risk. Still without the test, difficult to prove.

The Jamaican team has been protesting that the drug testing at the Olympics was so extensive that it interferred with their preparation.

http://www.pr-inside.com/jamaican-sprinters-needled-by-drug-tests-r753857.htm

Jamaica is one of the few few countries that does not have it's own national drug testing programs for its athletes. But Jamaican sprinters have been tested over and over at international meets, with not a single positive result.

Still...whatever they've got, I want some of it. :laugh:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Jamaica is one of the few few countries that does not have it's own national drug testing programs for its athletes. But Jamaican sprinters have been tested over and over at international meets, with not a single positive result.

The problem is just that with a National Anti Doping program the athletes are controlled all the time, their houses can be searched, they have to tell when they go on holidays etc.

There are so many ways of doping that can be scheduled around the international meetings - the Jamaicans can do whatever they want on their little island.

Blood doping for example, especially autologous blood transfusions, is practically undetectable, the only way to find the ones who do that is the searching of labs and homes - and sudden unexpected controls, because you can detect irregularities after blood transfusions (that's why nobody is so stupid and does blood doping right before a competition).

jennylovskt

Medalist
I should be happy that the Jamaicans are kicking some US-butt - but this pesky human rights situation there is spoiling my fun (+ the questionable doping policies). Same with China, I always wished that there was a country that would take over the summer medals table (the way Germany stole the top spot at the last winter olympics :clap:) - but does it have to be China? Why not Australia, France or the UK? I want the US back on top... I just can't be happy if countries like China, North Korea etc. win so much, of course I can be happy for the athlete himself - but it somehow seems a bit bitter at times.

Better not to go down this path of thinking because it will make yourself more and more unhappy as China is rising in all the perspectives.:) What the human rights got to do with the sports any way?:scratch:

There are so many ways of doping....
The big scandal so far seems to be the equestrian events. Evidently, some forms of horse doping are allowed and some aren't and it's not easy to tell the difference. Already the favorite in men's jumping was disqualified before the event, and now they have just taken away the ladies bronze medal in show jumping from Sweden.

One trick that is allowed goes like this. There is some kind of substance that they can rub on the horses' forelegs to make the skin more sensitive, so that it hurts more when they hit a barrier. This gives the horse more motivation to jump higher.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
One trick that is allowed goes like this. There is some kind of substance that they can rub on the horses' forelegs to make the skin more sensitive, so that it hurts more when they hit a barrier. This gives the horse more motivation to jump higher.

Do you speak German? Because the German wiki has a compilation on these methods - it's generally called "Barren", and the method you described is one of them. There are other ways, it is (or was, not so sure about that) quite common to do it actively. A horse comes near the bar, it jumps and right during the jump two people raise the highest bar so that the horse crashes into the bar and therefore tries to jump as high as possible the next times. It's forbidden - but contrary to the usage of these substances, nobody can prove that with a doping test.

jennylovskt said:
What the human rights got to do with the sports any way?

Well, it's just me, I am not saying that everybody should see it this way. I generally feel better if someone from France, UK, Japan, Ireland or even the US wins. It's hard to explain - but I think of these people at the Olympics as a part of the future in their respective countries, they are influential in their home countries etc. - and seeing them win and waving their flags, talking about how proud they are to achieve this for their country etc. - even if the situation in their countries is abysmal (e.g. Coventry from Zimbabwe) or questionable in terms of human rights (China, Russia, Jamaica, Cuba etc.) - it makes me fee uneasy.

I know that they are not allowed to voice any kind of protest during the medal ceremonies and competitions. But they could say something in an interview or something like that.

Sport is political - it's not supposed to be, but it is. Why else is China trying to impress everyone with their zillion Golds? And why are the US so desperate to win this contest? Because it's about prestige, the success during the games reflects the strength of the country, of the political system.

These athletes they are "campaigning" for their countries - and I wouldn't want to campaign for some of those countries. I know that there is probably not much the athletes can do about this - but I don't have to be happy if they win. These athletes have a certain responsibility (I generally mean athletes aged 21 and above, I doubt you can expect anything from the younger ones), what they say, how they act - has a certain impact.

For example - if Weir was asked what he thought about the political situation in Russia and he would say that he doesn't really care, Russia is still Russia, and that he thinks that the other countries overreact - then I would probably be a bit disgruntled. I would still be able to enjoy his skating - but I possibly would prefer Lambiel winning over Weir from then on. If Plushenko returns I won't be able to cheer for him as I have before his retirement - because I know about his political opinion and activities now.

I know that this makes me a bad sports-fan and a bad figure skating fan (because we are all here to enjoy the skating and athletic + artistic achievements aloone) - but I just can't help it.

I am a huge fan of Kasparov though...

Last edited:
Do you speak German?
Despite studying it for four years in college and doing a two-year post-doc in Bonn, I am absolutely atrocious at this skill. :frown:
I am a huge fan of Kasparov though...
Speaking of cheating in sports, did you follow the "toiletgate" scandal in the last world chess championship match, where the defending champ was accused going to the bathroom after each move surrepticiously to consult his computer? :laugh:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/sep/30/chess.gdnsport31

What does this have to do with figure skating? The match was in Elista, Kalmykia (President Ilyuzhinov is also presideht of FIDE) -- the very place where Michelle Kwan visited on her second good will mission. (Here she is on the Moscow leg of the trip, with Plushenko and gymnast Svetlana Khorkina. :biggrin: )

http://exchanges.state.gov/intlathletics/apde/imgs/slideshow/russia/005_2.jpg

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
What I liked so far: team Jamaica in Track & Field (Usain Bolt in particular). They must be doing something differently in their training, and it's not some kind of illegal stimulants.

What I didn't like: a "cute" little girl lip-synching to another little girl's vocal track at the opening ceremony. The original girl would look just as pretty with a bit of make-up and her hair done:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8rMzPLaadEQ

What I liked so far: team Jamaica in Track & Field (Usain Bolt in particular). They must be doing something differently in their training, and it's not some kind of illegal stimulants.

What I didn't like: a "cute" little girl lip-synching to another little girl's vocal track at the opening ceremony. The original girl would look just as pretty with a bit of make-up and her hair done:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8rMzPLaadEQ
They are fantastic. They are all in different US colleges, and most likely training separately.

Johar

Medalist
Holy moly! Svetlana Khorkina looks so much different now! Thanks Mathman, for posting that pic! Wow.....

Medusa

Record Breaker
A hip hip hooray for Matthew Mitcham! I was basically routing for everyone who would be able to beat the Chinese - but now I am extremely happy
:clap::clap::clap: