Fedor Andreev might not be competing next season :-( | Golden Skate

Fedor Andreev might not be competing next season :-(

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
(previous post deleted)

What I wanted to say was classified as a rumour, so if you want to know what's going on with Fedor, you can send me a PM.

If you're a fan of his skating, I strongly suggest that you send him an encouraging letter ASAP before he makes his final decision. Fedor doesn't have an agent, but a representative at Skate Canada will forward any fan mail to him directly.

Skate Canada
865 Shefford Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1J 1H9
Att: Laurie Malizia

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If a skater loses motivation his first crack at a return to the sport because he didn't finish high enough to make the team, then his motivation wasn't really there in the first place.

It takes hard work to succeed at figure skating, and if Andreev isn't prepared to do the work necessary to get there, then maybe it's best that he gives up the sport. He has to want it bad enough to do what it takes to get there.

all that

Final Flight
Honestly. The guy is away from skating for years, throws his hat into the ring at the last minute, doesn't use a real choreographer for his programs, doesn't even bother to learn the rules about jumping passes, etc., and expected to make the National team over guys who have consistently practiced and worked to make the team for years?! Please. Good looks will take you far in life, but at some point you really do have to put some work into things. Maybe he should just stick to racing cars.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You guys raise some valid points, but I don't think there's anything wrong in wanting to send him some moral support. He does enjoy performing for the crowd, and I just thought it would be a nice gesture for his fans to let him know that we still love his beautiful skating despite his not-so-great finish at this year's Nats.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Giving him "moral support" will just feed his ego and boost his perception that somehow he 'deserves' to be on the team because once upon a time way back he was considered an up-and-comer. He didn't follow through on his promise then, and now after a casual try, he's ready to pack it in because he didn't make the team.

What he needs is BACKBONE, DETERMINATION, DRIVE and HARD WORK, not "moral support". Just wanting to be on the team doesn't get you there, you have to EARN the right to wear the team jacket.

He has to have the skating chops to get where he wants to be. Good looks only take a guy so far..... :sheesh:

npa

Match Penalty
What he needs is BACKBONE, DETERMINATION, DRIVE and HARD WORK, not "moral support". Just wanting to be on the team doesn't get you there, you have to EARN the right to wear the team jacket. :
I agree with you on 100%. Why he must be in team& Because he want this< or maybe because he is good looking guy? Or maybe because his GF is one of the lider in ice dance? I think, that he really must work hard with new rules, with jumps, with his skating.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Um, I don't know why you guys are suddenly painting Fedor as a diva, but I NEVER said that he felt "entitled" to be on the national team with that lackluster performance, nor did I mention anything about his looks, his former up-and-coming status, or his girlfriend playing a role in how he should be ranked. He's not a narcissist like Sandhu, believe it or not. In fact, I've been informed by people who have met Fedor that he's a sweet, gracious and down-to-earth fellow.

All I stated was that he was very disappointed in himself that he didn't make the Top 5 and now he's unsure if should continue his competitive career. That's it. We can criticize his poor work ethic and his ignorance of the CoP, but there's no need to make up a story and turn him into something that he's not.

I don't deny that there are major problems that Fedor needs to fix, but I also think this is the first time he actually cared about how he did (even though he didn't acknowledge this to the media or even to himself at the time of the competition). The negative expression on his face while his LP score was being announced said it all. He used to see figure skating as his job, something he "had" to do rather than what he loved to do, but this past season he skated for himself. In the past, he usually puts on a jokey attitude in the K&C after a bad performance (e.g. clapping his hands, putting on a big smile). This time, those low marks stung him.

So yes, I agree Fedor needs a backbone, but I also believe he needs to know that he still has some fans (though clearly there aren't many left, not on this board, anyways) who care. It might help him to see the situation in a more positive light. 8th is pretty decent considering the long absence and his relatively short training period, and I just hope he realizes this before he makes up his mind.

My letter to Fedor wasn't completely sugar-coated, btw; I did point out his weaknesses. The tone is supportive, but stern, so I very much doubt this will inflate his ego and encourage him to continue his sloppy approach to the sport.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's fine that you want to encourage Andreyev to continue competing. But you suggested that other fans should get on board and do the same.

My posts explained why other fans (such as myself) might feel that would be inappropriate.

all that

Final Flight
Um, I don't know why you guys are suddenly painting Fedor as a diva, but I NEVER said that he felt "entitled" to be on the national team with that lackluster performance, nor did I mention anything about his looks, his former up-and-coming status, or his girlfriend playing a role in how he should be ranked. He's not a narcissist like Sandhu, believe it or not. In fact, I've been informed by people who have met Fedor that he's a sweet, gracious and down-to-earth fellow.

All I stated was that he was very disappointed in himself that he didn't make the Top 5 and now he's unsure if should continue his competitive career. That's it. We can criticize his poor work ethic and his ignorance of the CoP, but there's no need to make up a story and turn him into something that he's not.

It's hard to debate what you did and did not say in your original post because you deleted it. What I can say is that your replacement post is very different from the original one. Next time, if you want to debate a post you made, and the responses to it, please don't delete your post.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's hard to debate what you did and did not say in your original post because you deleted it. What I can say is that your replacement post is very different from the original one. Next time, if you want to debate a post you made, and the responses to it, please don't delete your post.

As I stated at the top, I had to remove my original post because it was categorized as a rumour. I'm sure you and chuckm (npa missed the original posting by only a couple of hours) recall that I mentioned how I got the information. I then announced why he's seriously questioning his skating career, and I pleaded quite desperately (remember this emoticon? :bow:) to all of his fans that they should write him an encouraging letter in the hopes that it might convince him to stay until the 2010 Olympics. It's everyone else who added the imaginary "entitlement" angle because of his looks and whatnot. I just wanted to make that point clear to everyone who happens to be perusing this thread since they might get the false impression that Fedor is an egomaniac.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have seen Fedor´s skating live in Finlandia Trophy and liked how it and his person looked on the ice. He was away from the skating so long, that it takes more than just one season to become competitive. If he still wants to continue in skating seriously, he needs CoP-programmes created by an expert, a good coach and very, very much hard work, in my opinion.

If a skater loses motivation his first crack at a return to the sport because he didn't finish high enough to make the team, then his motivation wasn't really there in the first place.
And this, I believe, is what PASSION is all about.

all that

Final Flight
As I stated at the top, I had to remove my original post because it was categorized as a rumour. I'm sure you and chuckm (npa missed the original posting by only a couple of hours) recall that I mentioned how I got the information. I then announced why he's seriously questioning his skating career, and I pleaded quite desperately (remember this emoticon? :bow:) to all of his fans that they should write him an encouraging letter in the hopes that it might convince him to stay until the 2010 Olympics. It's everyone else who added the imaginary "entitlement" angle because of his looks and whatnot. I just wanted to make that point clear to everyone who happens to be perusing this thread since they might get the false impression that Fedor is an egomaniac.

Something else I remember you saying is that he seemed very disappointed to have not made the National Team. This is what set me off and made me write the post that I wrote. What does Fedor have to be disappointed about? It was pretty obvious that he was approaching the sport rather casually last year -- was skating for the fun of it. He said it himself so many times. How else could one make a mistake of the type he did -- missing a jumping pass and instead including an invalid spin? A mistake like that has nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with seriousness, discipline, and respect for the competitive aspects of the sport. 8th place is amazing place to reach for a casual skater. If he actually thought he'd get a spot on the National Team with such an approach though, that's not only arrogant, but disrespectful of all the other skaters who have trained very hard for years with focus and discipline to make the team.

Fedor has no reason to be disappointed with his placement last year -- he skated very well, and the reason his scores were low was because he didn't bother to learn the rules of the sport. It seems like all he needs to do is sit down with a rulebook, and he'd be set. If he's questioning his ability to do that, maybe he's not really interested in skating competitively. There's nothing wrong with that -- Fedor would make a fantastic show skater.

I hope your letter, and letters from his other fans, gives him the motivation and encouragement he needs to make the right decision for himself.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
It's fine that you want to encourage Andreyev to continue competing. But you suggested that other fans should get on board and do the same.

My posts explained why other fans (such as myself) might feel that would be inappropriate.

I have trouble understanding your post, chuckm. Siberia82 said "If you're a fan of his skating,....". That means if one is specifically a fan of Andreyev's skating, not just any skating fan. How can it possibly be "inappropriate" to suggest that a skater's fans support him?

Siberia82, I think you are a caring and loyal fan of Fedor's, a fan that any skater would love to have. :clap:

Moderator's note. The original post on this thread was modified by the poster at the request of the moderators. The original version of the first post contained rumor and conjecture about Fedor's plans which we could not verify, hence the request.

Unfortunately, this has caused some later posts to seem inappropriate as a response to the original post.

Sorry about that. Carry on. :)

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Is he or isn't he -- only he knows for sure! :laugh: Fedor is a wonderful person and a joy to watch on the ice. Last year, he decided at the last moment to make a comeback and did a great job - showing more passion for skating than he has for years.

Where oh where are you, Fedor??

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Golden Skate relies on having good relationships with skaters, coaches and officials in its capacity as a source of reports and interviews. For that reason, we have a strict privacy policy, as documented in our guidelines:

Quote:
Skater/Coach Privacy Policy
Golden Skate respects the privacy of skaters, coaches, and officials in the sport. Golden Skate does not permit or condone undocumented gossip about their personal lives.

Any post which airs unsourced rumors will be edited.

It is definitely hard not to engage in rumors about Fedor though! So little is known, and so many would like to see him skate again.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Fedor would make a fantastic show skater.

Yes, he would.... but who would hire him? He doesn't have enough laurels (at least not for major shows like Canadian Stars on Ice, where seems to have a national champion minimum.) I guess that's why I kinda freaked out when the possibility came up that Fedor would hang up his skates. I don't think there are many opportunities for him if he joined the pro circuit since he's "only" a 1999 Canadian junior champion and a 2003 Canadian bronze medalist.

Siberia82, I think you are a caring and loyal fan of Fedor's, a fan that any skater would love to have. :clap:

Awww, that's so kind of you to say! :) Thanks.

Where oh where are you, Fedor??

This is the closest answer I could find to your question:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcTPXS39XVQ It was filmed this past May, and his triple axel is MARVELOUS!!! :rock: You almost forget that it used to be such a weak jump for him. He should show it off again in competition... if he's willing to do the hard work, of course.

all that

Final Flight
Yes, he would.... but who would hire him? He doesn't have enough laurels (at least not for major shows like Canadian Stars on Ice, where seems to have a national champion minimum.) I guess that's why I kinda freaked out when the possibility came up that Fedor would hang up his skates. I don't think there are many opportunities for him if he joined the pro circuit since he's "only" a 1999 Canadian junior champion and a 2003 Canadian bronze medalist.

Well, if he could show that he has a huge fan base, maybe that would work. All the promoters care about are ticket sales, anyway. Have you started a fan club for him or anything? Maybe you could help him show the people who run things like CSOI that he's worth hiring. :)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Well, if he could show that he has a huge fan base, maybe that would work. All the promoters care about are ticket sales, anyway.

Not necessarily. Remember that SOI poll Johnny Weir won like 7 to 1? Still no Johnny Weir in SOI shows. There must be some other criteria for selection as well. I hope Fedor has more luck. And that he's different in some aspects from Johnny. Less flamboyant or something.