Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fedor Andreev might not be competing next season :-(

Custom Title
    Is he or isn't he -- only he knows for sure! Fedor is a wonderful person and a joy to watch on the ice. Last year, he decided at the last moment to make a comeback and did a great job - showing more passion for skating than he has for years.

Where oh where are you, Fedor??
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 08-12-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Remove rumors

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Golden Skate relies on having good relationships with skaters, coaches and officials in its capacity as a source of reports and interviews. For that reason, we have a strict privacy policy, as documented in our guidelines:

Quote:
    Skater/Coach Privacy Policy
    Golden Skate respects the privacy of skaters, coaches, and officials in the sport. Golden Skate does not permit or condone undocumented gossip about their personal lives.

Any post which airs unsourced rumors will be edited.

It is definitely hard not to engage in rumors about Fedor though! So little is known, and so many would like to see him skate again.

Addicted to handsome, artistic male skaters ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by all that View Post
    Fedor would make a fantastic show skater.
    Yes, he would.... but who would hire him? He doesn't have enough laurels (at least not for major shows like Canadian Stars on Ice, where seems to have a national champion minimum.) I guess that's why I kinda freaked out when the possibility came up that Fedor would hang up his skates. I don't think there are many opportunities for him if he joined the pro circuit since he's "only" a 1999 Canadian junior champion and a 2003 Canadian bronze medalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    Siberia82, I think you are a caring and loyal fan of Fedor's, a fan that any skater would love to have.
    Awww, that's so kind of you to say! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by redhotcoach View Post
    Where oh where are you, Fedor??
    This is the closest answer I could find to your question:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcTPXS39XVQ It was filmed this past May, and his triple axel is MARVELOUS!!! You almost forget that it used to be such a weak jump for him. He should show it off again in competition... if he's willing to do the hard work, of course.

...and a bag of chips
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post
    Yes, he would.... but who would hire him? He doesn't have enough laurels (at least not for major shows like Canadian Stars on Ice, where seems to have a national champion minimum.) I guess that's why I kinda freaked out when the possibility came up that Fedor would hang up his skates. I don't think there are many opportunities for him if he joined the pro circuit since he's "only" a 1999 Canadian junior champion and a 2003 Canadian bronze medalist.
    Well, if he could show that he has a huge fan base, maybe that would work. All the promoters care about are ticket sales, anyway. Have you started a fan club for him or anything? Maybe you could help him show the people who run things like CSOI that he's worth hiring.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by all that View Post
    Well, if he could show that he has a huge fan base, maybe that would work. All the promoters care about are ticket sales, anyway.
    Not necessarily. Remember that SOI poll Johnny Weir won like 7 to 1? Still no Johnny Weir in SOI shows. There must be some other criteria for selection as well. I hope Fedor has more luck. And that he's different in some aspects from Johnny. Less flamboyant or something.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Not necessarily. Remember that SOI poll Johnny Weir won like 7 to 1? Still no Johnny Weir in SOI shows. There must be some other criteria for selection as well. I hope Fedor has more luck. And that he's different in some aspects from Johnny. Less flamboyant or something.
    Why is it necessary to put Johnny Weir down with a term like "flamboyant" in a thread that does not even have anything to do with him, Hsuhs? It isn't the first time by any means that you have criticized Johnny out of the blue for his character, but it is really inappropriate, particularly here and especially when you seem fixated on this particular aspect of who he is.

libby
    Here's the definition of flamboyant from Merrian Webster:
    1often capitalized : characterized by waving curves suggesting flames <flamboyant tracery> <flamboyant architecture>
    2: marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior <a flamboyant performer
    Neither of these is an insult to Johnny, who is indeed given to elaborate and / or colorful displays and behavior, not to mention having had a costume or two with waving curves on them. In fact, many of us who are Johnny fans love his flamboyance.

However, this is a thread about Fedor.

Johnny should not come into it at all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    libby
    Here's the definition of flamboyant from Merrian Webster:

Neither of these is an insult to Johnny, who is indeed given to elaborate and / or colorful displays and behavior, not to mention having had a costume or two with waving curves on them. In fact, many of us who are Johnny fans love his flamboyance.

And here is the meaning of FLAMBOYANT from the Urban Talk Dictionary, which defines how words are actually used in popular vernacular today:

Flamboyant

The talk meaning is gay
    MAN he is is so flamboyant

I am not overreacting, Doris - anyone who has ever held a conversation outside of an English classroom pretty much knows what that word is a euphemism for, and how it is used in popular speak. I personally do not care whether Johnny is or isn't, but since he has made it clear that he wishes to keep that private (and this thread has nothing to do with him anyway), it seems highly inappropriate to me for Hsuhs to need to "hope that Fedor is less so".

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    My post was not so much about Johnny, as it was about SOI policy (because someone else mentioned it above), as I see it. I used Johnny's name in the post only to give an example of it's display. But if it's not allowed, I'll edit my post. I have no problem with that.

I have also updated my ignore list and am not going to to take part in further discussion on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by libby View Post
    Why is it necessary to put Johnny Weir down with a term like "flamboyant" in a thread that does not even have anything to do with him, Hsuhs?
    Quote Originally Posted by libby View Post
    And here is the meaning of FLAMBOYANT from the Urban Talk Dictionary, which defines how words are actually used in popular vernacular today:

Flamboyant

The talk meaning is gay
    MAN he is is so flamboyant
    Libby - why would you think that calling someone flamboyant or even gay would be a put-down. I know i certainly don't think either word is a put-down and certainly not relation to Weir.

Ant

Now, with luck, we can all get back to discussing Fedor.

Here's some youtubes
    Fedor's contribution at age 13 to Katia's Tribute to Sergei show. Interesting comments by Fedor. He skated his novice SP.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4df53v8W9Q

His bronze medal free skate at Canadian Nationals in 2003 to Firebird
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbdYzx7G19M

His exhibition to Dave Matthews' Band Lover Lay Down 2003, Canadian Nationals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ok3pfWEfY

Fedor and Yuri Nakano practicing SBS 3A's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcTPXS39XVQ

Fedor's interview before the 2008 Canadian championships
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj__0LOsSUk

Custom Title
    Fedor is a great talent. Would be exciting to see the charisma and athletic abilities pulled together. Would think such a unique timing of opportunities - Worlds in LA, Olympics in Canada - hopefully he'll feel compelled...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    That poll was not for eligible skaters to appear in SOI 2008 shows, because they were already selected as the poll started.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    That poll was not for eligible skaters to appear in SOI 2008 shows, because they were already selected as the poll started.
    No, the poll (done by Stars on Ice themselves, on their official web site) was for who should be the guest stars on the 2008 SOI tour from among the eligible skaters, after the competitive season had ended. The guest stars had not yet been chosen when the poll was done.

The candidates were Evan Lysacek, Johnny Weir, Stephen Carriere, Emily Hughes, Kimmie Meissner, Bebe Liang, Mirai Nagasu, Caroline Zhang, Rachel Flatt, Belbin & Agosto, McLaughlin & Brubaker, and Inoue & Baldwin.

Johnny won the poll overwhelmingly, with over 730 votes out of the 1100 cast. Evan received only 65 votes, but was hired as the male guest star by SOI. Kimmie Meissner got the female guest spot, and Belbin & Agosto the "duo" spot.
    Last edited by libby; 08-14-2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Clarification

...and a bag of chips
    Did Johnny (or anyone else for that matter) ever say why Johnny wasn't a guest star? Perhaps the spot was offered, but Johnny couldn't do it for other reasons.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast