The USA Ladies at the Worlds Gymnastics | Golden Skate

The USA Ladies at the Worlds Gymnastics

I am not familiar with the sport but happen to catch it on TV today. The American gals were something after having such hard luck at the start. They won the Team Championship and for the First Time. Romania was second, and believe it or not, the Australians were third.

Also one of the guys on the US Men's Team won the gold as best in the competition.

Anyone more knowledgeable about this than me?

Joe

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
It was historic on both levels. No USA men's or women's team has ever won a World team championship. And no US man has EVER won an all-around title. Quite a day for the Americans!

And the "3 on" format has a lot to do with the USA's gold. Before this format, six athletes would go on each round and the lowest score was dropped. That favored countries like Romania and Russia - who have amazing depth. It forced other countries to select generally all-around solid gymnasts, rather than selecting a gymnast who was stellar in one or two events, but not as good in other events. I love this new format because it really focuses the TEAM event on the 3 creme de la creme athletes in each apparatus, while allowing the all-around competition to reward the athlete that is great in all four events. And by not dropping any of the scores in the team format, the stakes are higher.

Congrats to the USA team! What an amazing experience for theme to rally after three of their teammates went down with illness and injury!

The ladies all-around is on right now. The American gal is in first place so far.

But I was just thinking, watching the floor exercise, about figure skating and the CoP. To me, the floor exercise just looked like a lot of standing around looking pretty and posing while catching your breath between what really counts, the three tumbling runs, which is where they rack up the points. Even though the commentators spoke admiringly about the choreography, to me it looked like an afterthought.

I hope that the CoP doesn't push the ice skating in that direction.

Mathman

PS. Oh, it's over now. Svetlana won again. The Michelle Kwan of international gymnastics :laugh: Isn't she ever going to retire and give someone else a chance?:laugh:

Last edited:

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I watched because I read the results on the internet. I thought the girls did great since they apparently lost 3 of their top competitors right before or during the competition (including the US National champ!) I loved Carly Patterson and Holly Vise - so cute.

the men's all-around was a major surprise as was the men's team silver. I'm happy for them.

I also enjoyed the romanian girls and the chinese girls (even though they made a lot of mistakes). Svetlana Khorkina was great.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Mathman:laugh: :laugh:

I hope the American team can keep it up for the 2004 Olympics. Seems they have a deep field.

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
It was quite amazing considering all 3 of the injured/sick girls were former world medalists. One (Postell) was world champ on the balance beam and Kupets was (I think) world champ on uneven bars(?). Annia could have medaled on a few events as well. She's also IIRC the strongest vaulter on the team. Hard to say how she'll come back from that brutal injury. What a shame.

Picking the Olympic team next year is going to be sooo difficult. Do you knock off a last-minute gold-medal gamer like Humphrey to put on World champ Postell? I guess you do. But boy, the Olympic trials are going to be something to see!

Lynn51

Rinkside
Wow, Paul Hamm was amazing!

I'd have to agree with the announcer who said This USA Ladies team looks the best ever.

Congrats to both the Ladies and the Men's Teams. Awesome!

In her interview, I believe Svetlana said that this was her last World's and that she will be going to the Olympics. Congrats to her! She's been on the Russian team since what--1994?

Lynn

Lucy25

Final Flight
Picking the Olympic team next year is going to be sooo difficult. Do you knock off a last-minute gold-medal gamer like Humphrey to put on World champ Postell? I guess you do. But boy, the Olympic trials are going to be something to see!
I keep thinking the same thing, and don't think those gymnasts who were replaced or who just missed making the World team aren't thinking this, too. Trials are going to be amazing! I am so glad they have the training camps now because the gymnasts are going to be really pushing each other and that can only be a very positive thing. I just hope they all stay healthy! I wonder if Hatch will be able to recover, since her speciality events are leg pounding (vault and floor). That will be so hard on that knee. Kupets is to be out for eight months. I don't know how she will be able to come back from that in time. Lots of bars practice for her these next few months.

I love both Hamm brothers! Good old midwest American boys. Jason Gatson is my hero, though. I remember watching the competition when he blew out his knee the first time. He was 17 and touted as the next great American male gymnast. Then in just a few seconds it all changed. It broke my heart. If the gymnastics gods are good, he will be able to stay healty for Athens.

The ladies were on the Today show this morning and I was confused because Ashley Postell was there and had a medal. She never competed because of illness, so why did she get a medal? Does that mean that Hatch did, too? I heard that Kupets got one because she competed in the preliminaries. Does anyone know?

Lynn51

Rinkside
Lucy25,

I don't think Hatch got a medal but darn, I can't remember why. I know it was mentioned but well---you understand how old age is! :laugh:

Lynn

heyang

Record Breaker
I watched some of the coverage since I happened upon it when they announced that a medal was within the US's grasp.

If I recall correctly, only team members who participated in part of the team prelim events got medals. The girl who was on crutches was not eligible for a medal since she was injured before the event and did not participate. Sorry, I don't remember anyone's names.

I used to be interested in women's gymnastics from Nadia at 76 Oly's Montreal until the last dream team of Shannon Miller, Dominique 'Awesome' Dawson, Amy Chow, Dominque Moceanu, and Keri Strug. Unfortunately, there was one other person on that team, but I can't recall her name right now. Obviously, I pay more attention during Olympic years - too many other summer time activities keep me away from broadcasts of gymnastics.

Lucy25

Final Flight
heyang said:

If I recall correctly, only team members who participated in part of the team prelim events got medals. The girl who was on crutches was not eligible for a medal since she was injured before the event and did not participate. Sorry, I don't remember anyone's names.
That's what I thought, too, but why did Ashley Postel get one? She wasn't in the prelims was she?

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Jason Gatson is my hero, though. I remember watching the competition when he blew out his knee the first time. He was 17 and touted as the next great American male gymnast. Then in just a few seconds it all changed. It broke my heart. If the gymnastics gods are good, he will be able to stay healty for Athens.

ITA. I remember what a child prodigy he was. Everybody was talking about it then. Those are the worst kinds of injuries, especially when you have to watch them happen during important competitions. To get that same injury twice and still place as high as he did this season is quite miraculous. He was so good he kept Blaine Wilson out of the AA finals! That's just nuts. I too hope he stays healthy and doesn't work himself too hard between now & next year's trials.

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Hey, thanks for the news about the US teams, because I didn't get to watch it myself. That's exciting. I've always liked gymnastics but never followed it that closely. I hope this means good news for the Olympics - I think it does :)

aguyin2003

Rinkside
u.s. ladies gymnastics

Ashely got one b/c she was the offical alt, Court got one b/c she competed in prelims. I believe Annia does not get one b/c she didn't compete at all and was not named alt.

Courtney had a successful surgery and is expected to make a full recovery. Annia , i dont remeber where i read it at but it turned out that she didn't competly tore her knee so her recovery will be faster and she is expected to have surgary early sept. I believe they said court is expected to be out between 6-8 months well Annia is expected to be out at least four months.

As of picking the Athens team is going to be on hell of a job b/c 11 girls have world medals between 01-03
Tasha. Carly, Hollie, Chellise, Terin, Ashley, Courtney, Annia, Samtha Sheenen, Katie H,and Tabitha Yim all have medals. Then is about 7 others is dont have world experance but can easily sneak in and make Athen like Liz Tricase who is strong and vault and floor.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Forget combined medals over 01-03. It's going to come down to health. For example: I don't care if Carly Patterson is the reigning AA silver medalist. If she's dealing with a significant injury next year at Olympic qualifyers, there's too many others that are talented enough (I can't believe we can say that about USA's depth) to automatically consider her a shoo-in.

I really think it's going to come down to who is in the best physical shape, injury-free, and who is consistent through the upcoming season. Not past finishes. Too many of the new girls at Worlds proved they can hang tough with the known veterans. It's going to be an awesome US Nationals and Olympic qualifying event!

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
It's more of a 'talent pool' issue. Obviously if someone is not healthy they shouldn't be on the team, but if everyone *IS* healthy (like 1996) it's going to be quite a competition to see these gifted athletes try to outdo each other.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Re: Correction

aguyin2003 said:
Courtny is recover is estimated at four months , i read it in this artilce
So glad to hear this! Last week I I read it would be 8 months.

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Here are some nice quotes from Belu about the US ladies and the performance of the Romanian team. He supports his girls but also shows some respect for the US girls.

http://www.andreearaducan.dyndns.org/news.html

Belu was unhappy that he lost the gold but was realistic and said: "That's life and we have to accept the situation because we have made some mistakes. We had some unfortunate mistakes and that's why we finished second. I was impressed with the gymnasts of United States, most of all after so many injuries and accidents. That team has major potential."

"I'm cautious to say that we could have finished first. I have to admit that the Americans did really well but we lost important points because of our mistakes."

"In Romania the number of gymnasts is remarkably small so the results are a natural cause. In Dallas alone there are 65 gymnastic clubs and in Romania there are less than 10, so the American selection is based on other human resources."
"I'm sorry that there were some childish mistakes but that's the result of lack of experience. I can't say that I'm completely satisfied about any of them but it's a good start on the road to Athens."