Emily Hughes update | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes update

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Yay! Thanks Maureen for the update on Emily - she's my son's favorite skater & he's refused to watch skating until she returns to the ice, so this is great news! :clap:

I'm also glad to hear that she's healthy, on the ice & gearing up for next season because say what you will about TaDa - you can't say she's boring & that's a good thing!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Since I was unable to skate for the second part of the year, I decided to take an extra course. So, instead of four courses, I took five. I thought this would be the perfect plan for lightening my school

Great plan, Emily!

I'm so glad that she has confirmed that she is doing TEB.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I am so glad to hear that she is skating and competing this season.

Thanks for the link to her site. I didn't even know that she had one!!!

JClairUSF

Spectator
yay! I'm also very excited to see her back on the scene! As much as I really like Kimmie, I was routing 100% for Emily at the 2007 Nats. SOOOOO close, too ... :clap:

Anyways, Welcome Back Emily!!

skatergirl45

On the Ice
YAY EMily!!!!

I miss her. Her LP from 07 Nats was one of my favorite programs EVER. SHe'll do GREAT with her new music.

WOOT WOOT

merrybari

Final Flight
Nice message from a very special young lady. Will be great to have her back in the ranks!! Wonder which "cut" from Gone With the Wind convinced her?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am glad Emily is injury free and training for the season. There was so much speculation on the boards about her sitting the coming season out and concentrating on school. I wonder if she will lighten her course load in the future so she can train and prepare for Worlds and try to make the team for Vancouver. Can't wait to see her LP.

goldenskates

Rinkside
I really hope the best for her this season. I (personally) would have liked to watch her earlier in the season, so that it allows the skater to know what to work on.

I wonder how her conditioning is and if she sort of worked on her jumps. Like maybe spinning faster in the air (because she gets a lot of height, but can't rotate enough to cleanly land them..). And even though I absolutely enjoy her fight out there in every competition and I like her personality, she skates very heavy on the ice.

I was watching her during the 2005 Easterns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DGvllNojrw) and her straight line step sequence is the best I've seen from her!

I'm really not quite sure how she'll do this season, but I enjoy her skating so much and her personality that I don't really care how she does. However, it would be really great if she has worked hard on possibly, possibly working on her jumping techniques and thinking about difficult jump combinations or sequences.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Glad she's heading back to the rink. I don't think she will make the world team with the competition being what it is (plus only having 2 slots) but she should definitely try.

Linny

Final Flight
Gone with the Wind

Here's hoping she fares better with this music than Victoria Volchova did...
Linny

Here's hoping she fares better with this music than Victoria Volchova did...
Linny
The music has several swells to grab the audience. It should be easy for a skater to plan a program to it. I just hope she doesn't try to be Scarlett, or I will go hungry again. :laugh:

just wondering

On the Ice
Posters at "unseenskaters" report that Emily has withdrawn. :frown: Makes me a bit sad, would have enjoyed reports on how the two compare this season.
JW

Nigel

On the Ice
I wonder where Emily will do her competition readiness event prior to her SGP? I don't think collegiates fell into that category. Does anyone know if she is anticipating another summer club event before the fall senior series begins?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Cranberry Open (Kingston, MA) is next week, but the roster has been published and Emily is not on it.

There aren't that many competitions left that she'd be likely to attend:
9/4-7 Philadelphia Challenge Cup
9/11-14 Middle Atllantics (NYC) or Boston Open

There are other competions, but those three are some of the bigger ones.

If Emily doesn't go to any of them, she will have to attend a monitoring session in order to keep her GP event. Only A-envelope skaters (Mirai, Kimmie and BeBe) are exempt from summer comps/monitoring.

just wondering

On the Ice
I think others have posted that she's scheduled to do Skate For Hope, a charity event for breast cancer research, in Columbus, Ohio, on August 30th. I doubt it will be her competition program, though it may contain segments of the SP & FS. Hardly a replacement for a competition-type event, I think.

After quite some time away, it may be a bold move to introduce your competitive programs at an international event, but Emily is nothing if not bold :agree: :rock: When we finally see her programs, I hope they are rock solid and energize the arena, as only Emily can. :clap: JW

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily has to do a competitive program where she gets scores and feedback, not an exhibition. Benefits are not scored or critiqued by judges and therefore do not count as a preparation for an assignment.