View Poll Results: Who would have been on the podium if the 2008 Ladies Worlds was 6.0??

Voters
227. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mao Asada

75 33.04%
  • Carolina Kostner

9 3.96%
  • Yu-Na Kim

107 47.14%
  • Yukari Nakano

29 12.78%
  • Joannie Rochette

5 2.20%
  • Sarah Meier

2 0.88%
  • Kimmie Meissner

0 0%
  • Kiira Korpi

0 0%
  • Laura Lepisto

0 0%
  • Beatrisa Liang

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If the 2008 Ladies Worlds was still 6.0...

Rinkside

If the 2008 Ladies Worlds was still 6.0...

Who do you think would have won the 2008 Ladies Championships had been under the 6.0 system?
    Last edited by JClairUSF; 08-02-2008 at 02:59 PM.

I voted for Yu-na Kim.

In the short program, I think it would have gone

Asada (she would not have been dinged with an edge call on her Lutz)
    Kostner
    Nakano
    Korpi? (Kim probably would have been held up 4th despite the fall)
    Kim

Long program

Kim
    Nakano
    Asada/Kostner
    Kostner/Asada

Factored placements

Kim 3.5 (if fifth in the SP; if Kim is fourth she wins outright)
    Nakano 3.5 (Nakano might even have been first without the downgrades)
    Asada 3.5
    Kostner 4.0

Kim wins on tie-breaker, Nakano second, Asada third.

Under 6.0, falls were worse than under CoP judging. But underrotation and edge calls were treated more leniently.
    Last edited by Mathman; 08-02-2008 at 06:27 PM.

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    just proves how flawed the old system was

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
    just proves how flawed the old system was
    In what way? I was so unimpressed with the judging at 08 Worlds that it almost made an former fan out of this uber... falls, sloppiness, a supa d upa slide into home plate that was rewared with the gold... All I kept thinking was "OMG - what has skating become? This system is so jacked.." So its interesting to hear from those who found that results could've been even worse under 6.0....

Banned
    Under the 6.0 system
    there weren't edge calls
    less severe on UR's
    no point for falls
    no merit to land many 2A's

Mao Asada is definitely in the first place after the SP. Kostner is in 2nd, Nakano is in 3rd, Korpi, Ando, Rochette, Meier are above Kim. In the FS, except the fall on the 3A attempt, Asada landed six triples including two 3-3s. Kostner landed seven triples although many of them were wonky. Kim landed five triples and popped the second lutz. Nakano's 3A could be counted. Final standing would be like this.

1 Asada
    2 Kostner
    3 Nakano
    4 Kim
    5 Rochette

it's olympic season :D bethissoawesome's Avatar
    I think Mao would have taken first... possibly in both the long and short, but definitely in the long. Her technical marks would have been the highest, and the judges probably would have favored the more light, gracefulness to her skating on artistic marks over the speed skating of Kostner and legwraps, etc. of Nakano.

1. Asada
    2. Nakano/Kostner
    3. Nakano/Kostner
    4. Rochette/Kim
    5. Rochette/Kim

skaters wouldn't have had as technically difficult programs... just pretty little girls in pretty pink dresses... what ifs just don't work...

long live the CoP! 6.0 you are not missed!

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    skaters wouldn't have had as technically difficult programs... just pretty little girls in pretty pink dresses... what ifs just don't work...

long live the CoP! 6.0 you are not missed!
    Stop it... don't encourage the madness!!! Plus, I for one love a cute little pink dress - espcially a pretty pink dress with a pair of killer heels... gives me shivers just to think of it...

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Not. Please check out what Midori Ito was doing under 6.0. All 5 types of triple without any flutzing or lipping and no underrotation except from time to time on the 3A. Plus a triple triple. Yup, Midori and Tonya for that matter were just cute ladies in pink dresses?

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Not. Please check out what Midori Ito was doing under 6.0. All 5 types of triple without any flutzing or lipping and no underrotation except from time to time on the 3A. Plus a triple triple. Yup, Midori and Tonya for that matter were just cute ladies in pink dresses?
    So true... so true... Plus, I still don't see where this big change has come from... its still pretty little girls in pretty little pink dresses - its just now they fall down. A lot. I'd rather see someone win with a bit of an under rotation then by sloppy skating rewarding as "risky & technically superior." Is falling hard to do??

I think Mao would have still won with the 6.0 system. Also, although she is thriving under the new system, I think she would be doing even better in the old one overall. On the other end of the spectrum, I think Carolina wouldn't be doing as good if it were still the 6.0 system.

Custom Title
    Gosh... under 6.0 I wonder whether some of the best/top would come up with the goods. The content and jumps, for sure... but hmmm. In the end, would think Mao and YuNa would pull it off. YuNa's exposure to 6.0-type choreographers (Wilson, Dickson) would probably give her the edge in the end.

Rinkside
    Gold- Yu Na Kim
    Silver- Nakano
    Bronze- Asada

A huge improvement from the farcial 2008 podium with Asada a questionable winner and Kostner a farcial silver medalist.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    they were an exception to the norm... Michelle Kwan won how many competitions with a stagnant technical difficulty... and the ladies fell down around her too (and not just to worship her) that's not to diminish what she did, she was definitely rewarded for consistency....

the favoritism in the judging is what I wish we didn't have, but that won't ever go away until you get rid of the judging itself... which means a very different form of skating competition as we know it.

Banned
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you had to be able land ALL triples including the loop, salchow, toe, flip, lutz... given this Yuna would not be able to get gold... also under the 6.0 system almost no one was ever called out on flutzing (i.e. Sasha, kwan ,etc) so given all of this I'd say Mao or Miki would be in the best standing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast