Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Brian Orser talking about Yuna's Olympic Gold

  1. #1
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48

    Brian Orser talking about Yuna's Olympic Gold


  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by atatime View Post
    Oh dear. That is a tear jerker.

  3. #3
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    Oh dear. That is a tear jerker.
    what makes you say so? because of the background music?
    yeah that clip has it, but the content is not fake or a drama. that video is based on Brian Orser's interview with TV.
    Last edited by atatime; 04-08-2010 at 10:47 PM.

  4. #4
    Yuna's Ice Rink cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,138
    Orser-Yuna the real dream team!

    Watching the video makes me sad even more. You know like Yuna will say goodbye and retires.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by atatime View Post
    what makes you say so? because of the background music?
    yeah that clip has it, but the content is not fake or a drama. that video is based on Brian Orser's interview with TV.
    I meant it sincerely. I was imagining the scene as Brian described. I was seeing Yuna crying as she put the medal on everyone who made it possible for her. it made me teary. You should accept it as it meant and not attribute strange motive.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,951
    Wow, that was just beautiful. Yuna has to be one of the best people out there.

  7. #7
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    69
    I think Brian and Yu Na had a very special bond. Maybe Yu Na was/ is like a daughter he never had. A lot of Yu Na fans knew that she would put the OGM on Brian at some point. If she retires, I think most Yu Na fans will feel very sad for Brian. When he came back from Korea after the Olympics, he had a brief interview at the airport. When he talked about the possibility of Yu Na's retirement, he got emotional. Even my eyes were getting teary a little bit.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by jian10 View Post
    I think Brian and Yu Na had a very special bond. Maybe Yu Na was/ is like a daughter he never had. A lot of Yu Na fans knew that she would put the OGM on Brian at some point. If she retires, I think most Yu Na fans will feel very sad for Brian. When he came back from Korea after the Olympics, he had a brief interview at the airport. When he talked about the possibility of Yu Na's retirement, he got emotional. Even my eyes were getting teary a little bit.
    I think so too. In one interview I saw, Brian expressed appreciation to Yuna for making him go into coaching, something he didn't really think about doing, I don't know if ever, but certainly not when he did. He said he was still skating himself and wasn't thinking about going into coaching. Yuna kept asking him to coach her and he thought he was lucky that he did since it opened up an area of skating for him that he enjoys doing now.

  9. #9
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    59
    Yuna really knows how to hire the right person~ Just amazing. She should run her own company once she retires.

  10. #10
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    76
    That video was very touching. I had tears in my eyes by the time it was over.

  11. #11
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    33
    Very touching video~

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,052
    no tear jerker--it is how they set it up--background music, slow deliberate talking and movings and praising--
    just words are brians and yu-na''s and theirs from the heart-but none the less staged with background music, movement and talking.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    no tear jerker--it is how they set it up--background music, slow deliberate talking and movings and praising--
    just words are brians and yu-na''s and theirs from the heart-but none the less staged with background music, movement and talking.
    Perhpas it did not stir your emotions. But it certainly did for many others. For them, it was a tearjerker. Besides, what people define as "tearjerkers" (and just about w/everything to a degree) is subjective. What makes one person cry might make another laugh or get no reaction.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,448
    That video is so lovely. I was thinking even as YuNa won that it was Brian's gold medal moment, too, because he did so much to nurture her wonderful talent. The relationship between them does indeed seem special. It's a tribute to both his character and hers.

    More than that, I had no idea she was the one who convinced him to coach! I wonder what inner voice told her that he would be the ideal coach rather than someone who had years of coaching experience and a track record of victories behind him. What an uncanny choice, and a perfect one--not just in terms of his ability to keep her honing her talent, but because of his warmth and calm, which she needed to protect her from the pressure and frenzy of being Korea's biggest celebrity and first Olympic contender. So YuNa's given Brian two huge gifts: a gold medal win and an entire new career.

    I love the idea that she put the medal around everyone's neck. What empathy and humility that shows. And from everything I've heard or read, Brian is a guy who deserves such treatment. Even when he lost to Boitano, he was every inch the gentleman, as was Boitano. (I've heard Boitano say that he was careful not to make too much fuss on the podium, because he didn't want to rub it in for Orser. Two adults behaving graciously.) All in all, this is the best possible outcome for this Olympic cycle, and I say that as someone who's a fan of both Mao and YuNa. (And then Mao won the World Gold! A perfect ending to the season.)
    Last edited by Olympia; 04-11-2010 at 11:23 AM.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    That video is so lovely. I was thinking even as YuNa won that it was Brian's gold medal moment, too, because he did so much to nurture her wonderful talent. The relationship between them does indeed seem special. It's a tribute to both his character and hers.

    More than that, I had no idea she was the one who convinced him to coach! I wonder what inner voice told her that he would be the ideal coach rather than someone who had years of coaching experience and a track record of victories behind him. What an uncanny choice, and a perfect one--not just in terms of his ability to keep her honing her talent, but because of his warmth and calm, which she needed to protect her from the pressure and frenzy of being Korea's biggest celebrity and first Olympic contender. So YuNa's given Brian two huge gifts: a gold medal win and an entire new career.

    I love the idea that she put the medal around everyone's neck. What empathy and humility that shows. And from everything I've heard or read, Brian is a guy who deserves such treatment. Even when he lost to Boitano, he was every inch the gentleman, as was Boitano. (I've heard Boitano say that he was careful not to make too much fuss on the podium, because he didn't want to rub it in for Orser. Two adults behaving graciously.) All in all, this is the best possible outcome for this Olympic cycle, and I say that as someone who's a fan of both Mao and YuNa. (And then Mao won the World Gold! A perfect ending to the season.)
    Yah, I've wondered about this too. Here she was planning for the all important OGM cycle at the tender age of 15/16 and somehow knowing/feeling something enough to "pursue" Orser, whom, as good as he is as a skater, was not a "proven" coach.

    From what I read, it was a pursuit by her, her mom and her coach in Korea, who wanted her to find joy in skating. Yuna had come to Canada for a few years prior to this to choreo programs with David Wilson. Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson also chipped in with some aspects of her skating. And through that Yuna found she liked Brian's way of teaching. And I can see why. A typical Korean coach would make you repeat jumps to get it perfect, even if it breaks your body. His personality is calm. Brian I think knows what an elite skater knows the technics of jumps. Brian said, when Yuna came to him she had all the jumps. It was making them shine that he needed to do. He described her as a "diamond in the rough".

    This was evidenced by the promo clip on NBC during the Olympics where Yuna gets frustrated with her missed jump and they shown Brian doing something that makes her smile and laugh at the end. I would say a Korean coach, or any old school coach, could have disciplined her and made her cry (just guessing).
    Last edited by aurora100; 04-11-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •