If the 2008 Ladies Worlds was still 6.0... | Golden Skate

If the 2008 Ladies Worlds was still 6.0...

Who would have been on the podium if the 2008 Ladies Worlds was 6.0??

• Mao Asada

Votes: 73 32.9%
  • Carolina Kostner

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Yu-Na Kim

Votes: 104 46.8%
  • Yukari Nakano

Votes: 29 13.1%
  • Joannie Rochette

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Sarah Meier

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Kimmie Meissner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kiira Korpi

• Laura Lepisto

• Beatrisa Liang

• Total voters

JClairUSF

Spectator
Who do you think would have won the 2008 Ladies Championships had been under the 6.0 system?

Last edited:
I voted for Yu-na Kim.

In the short program, I think it would have gone

Asada (she would not have been dinged with an edge call on her Lutz)
Kostner
Nakano
Korpi? (Kim probably would have been held up 4th despite the fall)
Kim

Long program

Kim
Nakano
Asada/Kostner
Kostner/Asada

Factored placements

Kim 3.5 (if fifth in the SP; if Kim is fourth she wins outright)
Nakano 3.5 (Nakano might even have been first without the downgrades)
Asada 3.5
Kostner 4.0

Kim wins on tie-breaker, Nakano second, Asada third.

Under 6.0, falls were worse than under CoP judging. But underrotation and edge calls were treated more leniently.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
just proves how flawed the old system was

In what way? I was so unimpressed with the judging at 08 Worlds that it almost made an former fan out of this uber... falls, sloppiness, a supa d upa slide into home plate that was rewared with the gold... All I kept thinking was "OMG - what has skating become? This system is so jacked.." So its interesting to hear from those who found that results could've been even worse under 6.0....

propronia

Match Penalty
Under the 6.0 system
there weren't edge calls
less severe on UR's
no point for falls
no merit to land many 2A's

Mao Asada is definitely in the first place after the SP. Kostner is in 2nd, Nakano is in 3rd, Korpi, Ando, Rochette, Meier are above Kim. In the FS, except the fall on the 3A attempt, Asada landed six triples including two 3-3s. Kostner landed seven triples although many of them were wonky. Kim landed five triples and popped the second lutz. Nakano's 3A could be counted. Final standing would be like this.

1 Asada
2 Kostner
3 Nakano
4 Kim
5 Rochette

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I think Mao would have taken first... possibly in both the long and short, but definitely in the long. Her technical marks would have been the highest, and the judges probably would have favored the more light, gracefulness to her skating on artistic marks over the speed skating of Kostner and legwraps, etc. of Nakano.

1. Asada
2. Nakano/Kostner
3. Nakano/Kostner
4. Rochette/Kim
5. Rochette/Kim

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
skaters wouldn't have had as technically difficult programs... just pretty little girls in pretty pink dresses... what ifs just don't work...

long live the CoP! :rock: 6.0 you are not missed!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
skaters wouldn't have had as technically difficult programs... just pretty little girls in pretty pink dresses... what ifs just don't work...

long live the CoP! :rock: 6.0 you are not missed!

Stop it... don't encourage the madness!!! Plus, I for one love a cute little pink dress - espcially a pretty pink dress with a pair of killer heels... gives me shivers just to think of it...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Not. Please check out what Midori Ito was doing under 6.0. All 5 types of triple without any flutzing or lipping and no underrotation except from time to time on the 3A. Plus a triple triple. Yup, Midori and Tonya for that matter were just cute ladies in pink dresses? :rofl:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Not. Please check out what Midori Ito was doing under 6.0. All 5 types of triple without any flutzing or lipping and no underrotation except from time to time on the 3A. Plus a triple triple. Yup, Midori and Tonya for that matter were just cute ladies in pink dresses? :rofl:

So true... so true... Plus, I still don't see where this big change has come from... its still pretty little girls in pretty little pink dresses - its just now they fall down. A lot. I'd rather see someone win with a bit of an under rotation then by sloppy skating rewarding as "risky & technically superior." Is falling hard to do??

Star85

Rinkside
I think Mao would have still won with the 6.0 system. Also, although she is thriving under the new system, I think she would be doing even better in the old one overall. On the other end of the spectrum, I think Carolina wouldn't be doing as good if it were still the 6.0 system.

lcd

Match Penalty
Gosh... under 6.0 I wonder whether some of the best/top would come up with the goods. The content and jumps, for sure... but hmmm. In the end, would think Mao and YuNa would pull it off. YuNa's exposure to 6.0-type choreographers (Wilson, Dickson) would probably give her the edge in the end.

delobelfan30

Rinkside
Gold- Yu Na Kim
Silver- Nakano
Bronze- Asada

A huge improvement from the farcial 2008 podium with Asada a questionable winner and Kostner a farcial silver medalist.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

they were an exception to the norm... Michelle Kwan won how many competitions with a stagnant technical difficulty... and the ladies fell down around her too (and not just to worship her) that's not to diminish what she did, she was definitely rewarded for consistency....

the favoritism in the judging is what I wish we didn't have, but that won't ever go away until you get rid of the judging itself... which means a very different form of skating competition as we know it.

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
Correct me if I'm wrong but you had to be able land ALL triples including the loop, salchow, toe, flip, lutz... given this Yuna would not be able to get gold... also under the 6.0 system almost no one was ever called out on flutzing (i.e. Sasha, kwan ,etc) so given all of this I'd say Mao or Miki would be in the best standing

csunny7

Rinkside
I voted for Yu-na Kim.

In the short program, I think it would have gone

Asada (she would not have been dinged with an edge call on her Lutz)
Kostner
Nakano
Korpi? (Kim probably would have been held up 4th despite the fall)
Kim

Long program

Kim
Nakano
Asada/Kostner
Kostner/Asada

Factored placements

Kim 3.5 (if fifth in the SP; if Kim is fourth she wins outright)
Nakano 3.5 (Nakano might even have been first without the downgrades)
Asada 3.5
Kostner 4.0

Kim wins on tie-breaker, Nakano second, Asada third.

Under 6.0, falls were worse than under CoP judging. But underrotation and edge calls were treated more leniently.

Convincing analysis:yes:!
I also vote for Yuna Kim.

miki88

Medalist
If it was 6.0, Mao will still win and she will probably be first in SP rather than Costner. Yuna will be in 2nd over Costner. :) I don't think Kim would have won. She was too behind in the SP, and if she did, it would have been an upset similar to Sarah Hughes under 6.0 system. Also, if according to Mathman, then I think Mao would have won over Miki with her her great LP skate in 2007 because she was in a similar situation in this SP as Kim was in 2008.

Last edited:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I still think it would have been Kim, Asada and Kostner. Maybe Kim would have gotten gold, but IDK. Was Ando not there?