Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anabelle Langlois Injured

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar

Post Anabelle Langlois Injured

Skate Canada announced this yesterday -- Anabelle fractured her right ankle , and, though it seems she's going to be fine, I'm not sure what this will mean for the team this season. After all, I believe she lands (jumps, throws, lifts) on her right foot. Really wishing her a speedy and complete recovery...

Kypma
    Last edited by Kypma; 08-02-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: adding the second-to- and next-to last words

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Oh, that's terrible news. I was hoping this team was going to really shine this season, and this has got to be a big setback. Hope she recovers quickly! Oh, wow, a landing ankle -- that's a huge problem I would think.

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Oh, I really hope she gets well soon, and that this won't affect any of her Grand Prix assignments. I really love seeing her skate.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Poor Anabelle! I hope it won't hinder her this new season.

Custom Title
    I would think that Skate Canada might be in jeopardy.

Custom Title
    They may miss the entire GP this year...................hope not, but......

Go NJ Devils
    Wow, that's two injured women (Langlois and Kawaguchi) in the Skate Canada pairs field.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228 View Post
    Wow, that's two injured women (Langlois and Kawaguchi) in the Skate Canada pairs field.
    It's unlikely that either of them will compete at SC. I guess that means both Kirkland/Radford and the Moscovitches will get SC slots.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Am I missing something here? What happaned to Kawaguchi?

Custom Title
    Kawaguchi suffered a bad cut to her hand.

Rinkside
    Wouldn't ISU take the next pairs in line according to world ranking, rather than 2 teams from Canada? I think that's how it works.

Go NJ Devils
    Canada has a TBA for which they can name any Canadian team they submitted to the ISU. Conventional wisdom had Kirkland/Radford and the Moscovitches vying for the final spot in early season competitions.

World ranking is not considered for the replacement spots, unless by some unlikely event those guaranteed 1 spot for being in the 24 top ranking didn't get their one spot in the initial selection process.** Top 75 PB in qualifying competitions are. But there were only 69 ranked PB's from last year, and every pair who competed in one of the qualifying competitions (Worlds, Jr. Worlds, Jr. GPF, GPF, Grand Prix, Euros, 4C's) is eligible for selection, if they are still skating together and their Federation put their names in the selection hopper. Pairs can compete in both juniors and seniors.

I thought, though, that the host nation had to go to the top 75 PB list to replace one of their selections. Neither team is on this list, because last season they didn't compete in senior GP (both girls too young?), and both men were too old for junior GP. Canadian pairs qualifying on the top 75 PB and not already assigned to two events are:

Miller/Moram (retired)-16
    Brodeur/Mattatall-20 (They have CoC)
    Pisotta/Stewart-30 (They have CoR)
    Velanosi/Fernandez-32 (They have CoR)
    Lawrence/Sweigers-35
    Jones/Jackson-37
    Steele/Johnson-44
    McCoy/van Cleve-53

But no guarantee that Skate Canada made any pairs but the already assigned eligible for selection.

**I suppose in some alternative universe it would be possible for all of the following to be independent:

*Top 12 from last year's Worlds: 24 guaranteed spots
    Top 24 PB: 24 guaranteed spots
    Top 24 World Rankings: 24 guaranteed spots
    Top 3 at Jr. GP (turning senior): 3 guaranteed spots
    Top 3 at Jr. Worlds (turning senior): 3 guaranteed spots
    Three selections from host nation: 3 guaranteed spots

Total: 81 guaranteed spots for 48 places

Custom Title
    Canada has a TBA for which they can name any Canadian team they submitted to the ISU. Conventional wisdom had Kirkland/Radford and the Moscovitches vying for the final spot in early season competitions.
    Yes, both teams reportedly will square off at Nebelhorn Trophy for the 3rd Skate Canada pairs spot.

I thought, though, that the host nation had to go to the top 75 PB list to replace one of their selections.
    That's what I understood as well (Season Best/SB, not PB):
    http://www.isufs.org/isujsstat/sbtspto.htm

Canadian pairs qualifying on the top 75 PB and not already assigned to two events are:

Miller/Moram (retired)-16
    Brodeur/Mattatall-20 (They have CoC)
    Pisotta/Stewart-30 (They have CoR)
    Velanosi/Fernandez-32 (They have CoR)
    Lawrence/Sweigers-35
    Jones/Jackson-37
    Steele/Johnson-44
    McCoy/van Cleve-53
    Split:
    Jones/Jackson
    McCoy/Van Cleave (he has paired up with Ameena Sheikh in Detroit)

Still JGP-eligible:
    Velenosi/Fernandez
    Lawrence/Swiegers
    Steele/Johnson

Likely replacement if Langlois/Hay cannot compete at Skate Canada: Brodeur/Mattatall or Pisotta/Stewart.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-06-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Go NJ Devils
    Ooops, I meant season's best (personal best from last season).

The juniors can also compete in seniors (or am I having a senior moment and the ISU changed this?). I would be thrilled if they gave Lawrence/Swiegers the nod, but I doubt that will happen. I've always liked John Mattatall, though.
    Last edited by hockeyfan228; 08-06-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Custom Title
    The juniors can also compete in seniors (or am I having a senior moment and the ISU changed this?).
    Yes, pairs is the only one of the 4 disciplines that is allowed to compete JGP and Sr. GP in the same season.

I would be thrilled if they gave Lawrence/Swiegers the nod, but I doubt that will happen.
    It's not out of the question, though hasn't it usually been the case that a pair team with 1 GP assignment will usually get a 2nd before another team without a first? Case in point: Vise/Trent (the team with the highest SB score with only 1 GP) were recently named by Skate Canada to replace the split team of Paetsch/Nuss at Skate Canada.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast