Anabelle Langlois Injured | Golden Skate

Anabelle Langlois Injured

Kypma

Final Flight
Skate Canada announced this yesterday -- Anabelle fractured her right ankle :no:, and, though it seems she's going to be fine, I'm not sure what this will mean for the team this season. After all, I believe she lands (jumps, throws, lifts) on her right foot. Really wishing her a speedy and complete recovery...

Kypma

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, that's terrible news. I was hoping this team was going to really shine this season, and this has got to be a big setback. Hope she recovers quickly! Oh, wow, a landing ankle -- that's a huge problem I would think.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Oh, I really hope she gets well soon, and that this won't affect any of her Grand Prix assignments. I really love seeing her skate.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Poor Anabelle! I hope it won't hinder her this new season.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, that's two injured women (Langlois and Kawaguchi) in the Skate Canada pairs field.

It's unlikely that either of them will compete at SC. I guess that means both Kirkland/Radford and the Moscovitches will get SC slots.

guccimomma

Spectator
Wouldn't ISU take the next pairs in line according to world ranking, rather than 2 teams from Canada? I think that's how it works.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Canada has a TBA for which they can name any Canadian team they submitted to the ISU. Conventional wisdom had Kirkland/Radford and the Moscovitches vying for the final spot in early season competitions.

World ranking is not considered for the replacement spots, unless by some unlikely event those guaranteed 1 spot for being in the 24 top ranking didn't get their one spot in the initial selection process.** Top 75 PB in qualifying competitions are. But there were only 69 ranked PB's from last year, and every pair who competed in one of the qualifying competitions (Worlds, Jr. Worlds, Jr. GPF, GPF, Grand Prix, Euros, 4C's) is eligible for selection, if they are still skating together and their Federation put their names in the selection hopper. Pairs can compete in both juniors and seniors.

I thought, though, that the host nation had to go to the top 75 PB list to replace one of their selections. Neither team is on this list, because last season they didn't compete in senior GP (both girls too young?), and both men were too old for junior GP. Canadian pairs qualifying on the top 75 PB and not already assigned to two events are:

Miller/Moram (retired)-16
Brodeur/Mattatall-20 (They have CoC)
Pisotta/Stewart-30 (They have CoR)
Velanosi/Fernandez-32 (They have CoR)
Lawrence/Sweigers-35
Jones/Jackson-37
Steele/Johnson-44
McCoy/van Cleve-53

But no guarantee that Skate Canada made any pairs but the already assigned eligible for selection.

**I suppose in some alternative universe it would be possible for all of the following to be independent:

*Top 12 from last year's Worlds: 24 guaranteed spots
Top 24 PB: 24 guaranteed spots
Top 24 World Rankings: 24 guaranteed spots
Top 3 at Jr. GP (turning senior): 3 guaranteed spots
Top 3 at Jr. Worlds (turning senior): 3 guaranteed spots
Three selections from host nation: 3 guaranteed spots

Total: 81 guaranteed spots for 48 places

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Canada has a TBA for which they can name any Canadian team they submitted to the ISU. Conventional wisdom had Kirkland/Radford and the Moscovitches vying for the final spot in early season competitions.
Yes, both teams reportedly will square off at Nebelhorn Trophy for the 3rd Skate Canada pairs spot.

I thought, though, that the host nation had to go to the top 75 PB list to replace one of their selections.
That's what I understood as well (Season Best/SB, not PB):
http://www.isufs.org/isujsstat/sbtspto.htm

Canadian pairs qualifying on the top 75 PB and not already assigned to two events are:

Miller/Moram (retired)-16
Brodeur/Mattatall-20 (They have CoC)
Pisotta/Stewart-30 (They have CoR)
Velanosi/Fernandez-32 (They have CoR)
Lawrence/Sweigers-35
Jones/Jackson-37
Steele/Johnson-44
McCoy/van Cleve-53
Split:
Jones/Jackson
McCoy/Van Cleave (he has paired up with Ameena Sheikh in Detroit)

Still JGP-eligible:
Velenosi/Fernandez
Lawrence/Swiegers
Steele/Johnson

Likely replacement if Langlois/Hay cannot compete at Skate Canada: Brodeur/Mattatall or Pisotta/Stewart.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Ooops, I meant season's best (personal best from last season).

The juniors can also compete in seniors (or am I having a senior moment and the ISU changed this?). I would be thrilled if they gave Lawrence/Swiegers the nod, but I doubt that will happen. I've always liked John Mattatall, though.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The juniors can also compete in seniors (or am I having a senior moment and the ISU changed this?).
Yes, pairs is the only one of the 4 disciplines that is allowed to compete JGP and Sr. GP in the same season.

I would be thrilled if they gave Lawrence/Swiegers the nod, but I doubt that will happen.
It's not out of the question, though hasn't it usually been the case that a pair team with 1 GP assignment will usually get a 2nd before another team without a first? Case in point: Vise/Trent (the team with the highest SB score with only 1 GP) were recently named by Skate Canada to replace the split team of Paetsch/Nuss at Skate Canada.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Langlois/Hay and Kawaguchi Smirnov are both unable to compete at Skate Canada, then there would be three unfilled spots: two due to injury, and the current TBD, slated to go to Kirkland/Radford or the Moscovitches, depending on who finishes higher at Nebelhorn.

One of the vacancies due to injury would be a host spot (replacing L/H), and this team DOES NOT have to be in the top 75 on the SB list. Canada could choose from these (*=JGP eligible):

The other team from the Nebelhorn (K/R or M/M)
Brodeur/Mattatall
Pisotta/Stewart
*Velenosi/Fernandez
*Lawrence/Sweigers
*Steele/Johnson

The second replacement due to injury COULD NOT be a Canadian team, since the 3 host spots would be filled. Candidates must be on the SB list (as there are only 69 teams on the list [including splits and retirements], they are all "top 75"):

With one GP assignment:
*Krasilnikova/Bezmaternikh #15
*Iliushina/Maisuradze #17
Li/Xu #18
Evora/Ladwig #21
*Sheremetieva/Kuznetsov #23
Trombley/Ibarra #24
Canac/Coia #25
*Sergejeva/Glebov #26
*Zhang/Wang #27
Ushakova/Karev #28
Kemp/King #29
Chaitaigner/Bouzzine #43

No assignments as yet:
Magitteri/Hotarek #31
Khodkova/Sliusarenko #32
Guillen/Curzon #34
Butler/Jacobsen #36
Vartmann/Just #38
*Morand/Dorsaz #40
*Sunyoto-Yang/Sulindro-Yang #41
*Castelli/Shnapir #45
*Takahashi/Tran #46
Della Monica/Kocon #47
Zanforlin/Degli Esposti #49
Sacks/Akolzin #50

Last edited:

Kypma

Final Flight
Any update on Annabelle? Hope she is mending smoothly...

I think she was seen in the audience at the Mariposa Gala, since she and Cody were to skate there, but Skate Canada hasn't given an update yet... though I'm fairly certain they won't be at HomeSense Skate Canada International, which is quite a pity :( for them and the fans... and everyone involved, really.

Kypma