Skate Minto | Golden Skate

Skate Minto

sarahe

Spectator
Does anyone have results for Skate Minto? Particularly Sr. women and jr. men and women.

persimmon

Rinkside
Sr. Ladies long- Dana ZT (supposedly landed triple flip) won
Jr. Ladies long- Alexandrine Chong won flight 1 (55 points long program), Rebecca Addison won flight 2 (57 long program).
That's all the information I have. I was not there, so take it for what it's worth. :)

nadster

Final Flight
Dana does not have an assignment to or is even listed as a substitute for the first 2 JGP events.

She won the 2007 Junior Ladies nationals and yet was ignored completely for JGP assignments last season. She at least managed to qualify for senior nationals in 2008 while others that got JGP's competing senior nationally ( Belair ) didn't.

I have my doubts based on her previous shafting about whether she'll get an assignment but the triple flip ( no matter what her score is ) is sure to raise Skate Canada's eyebrows. SC is wowed by girls who can land something other than triple toe/ salchow no matter how inconsistent those harder jumps are.

I would love her to get an assignment though. She is still young and is a much more sensible pick than Devon Neuls. Neuls is in her last year that she can compete junior and is listed as a substitute for the first 2 events strongly suggesting she'll receive a later assignment. There is no evidence that Neuls in her last year will gather enough ISU ranking points so that she can transition to the senior GP. Better to give those assignments to young ones who can use the experience to transition to the senior GP later on.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What's even more stupid is that Dana Z-T beat Neuls at Canadian Nationals, and that was Dana's first try at the Senior level after winning the 2007 Junior Championship. Meanwhile, Neuls dropped from 12th in 2007 to 16th in 2008.

BTW, Neuls is 159th (out of 173) on the ISU World Rankings list. She has no chance whatsoever of qualifying for the GP via that list. Her last score in a JGP event (Mexico 2006 - 89.52) would have placed her 139th on the 2007-2008 SB list. Her score from 2008 Canadian Nationals would have placed her 101st on the 2007-2008 SB list.

So I agree that it is a TOTAL waste to send Neuls to the JGP when there are other more promising skaters who are actually interested in self-improvement (Dana has been competing in numerous summer events).

Last edited:

Winnipeg

Final Flight
A agree with you......................however, SC MUST have a reason? I wonder what it is? Any guesses? Maybe they have seen her outside competitions? To give her one last chance? Convincing coaches?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only thing I can think of is that Neuls was the 2006 Junior bronze medalist. Why that should rank her above 2007 Junior Champion Dana Z-T is a puzzlement.

shopgirl543

Rinkside
Based upon her results at Minto and past Nationals results, I would assume that she will probably be assigned to the JGP in Mexico or Czech Republic.

Does Skate Canada hold it against her that she does not train in Canada nor does she have Canadian coaches?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does Skate Canada hold it against her that she does not train in Canada nor does she have Canadian coaches?

Virtue/Moir do not train in Canada and they don't have Canadian coaches, and it hasn't hurt them a bit.

But as stupid as it seems, that may be the answer as to why Dana Z-T gets short shrift. If so, then Skate Canada is cutting off its nose to spite its face.

It's not as if Canada is so overflowing with remarkably talented young women that they can afford to discriminate based on rink politics. :eek:hwell:

nadster

Final Flight
So I agree that it is a TOTAL waste to send Neuls to the JGP when there are other more promising skaters who are actually interested in self-improvement (Dana has been competing in numerous summer events).

Although I think that sending Neuls is a waste I would never say that Devon is not interested in self-improvement. Devon is due to compete in senior ladies at the BC summer skate. I have noticed though that Mcleod's students ( and Devon is one) don't tend to do any summer events outside the BC summer skate. That does sound like a Mcleod tactic.

Based upon her results at Minto and past Nationals results, I would assume that she will probably be assigned to the JGP in Mexico or Czech Republic.

That could be a BIG problem. It drove the Duschenay's out of Canada in the past. In Canada they were marked down behind clearly inferior couples because of having the "wrong " coach.

Devon's coach , Joanne Mcleod definitely has a lot of political pull in Skate Canada circles. The BC sectional office is located at her rink and the head honcho of the BC section acts as a caller at sectional events. Guess whose skaters will get the benefit of the doubt on calls.

After the 2007 junior ladies championships the top 10 ladies at nationals were ignored JGP for Kang ( who finished 11th at 2007 juniors which was worse than her 4th place in juniors in 2006). Now Kang's bad performance in 2007 ( specifically her popped filled FS) was not a one-off bad performance. At the Western Challenge that year( which Kang competed in) , not one triple jump was landed by any of the ladies in both the SP and FS.

Kang is also coached by Mcleod. She has had 4 JGP assignments and never did well in any them. This year is her last year ( if she gets any assignments) as well.

So both Kang and Neuls ( see chuckm's post) went backwards in their national results ( without any real great results anywhere else ) and they get rewarded.

nadster

Final Flight
Based on the Skate Canada's assignments , "standards" and list of substitutes for the first 2 JGP events , I expect these skaters will get an assignment ( among those who aren't competing in the first 2 assignments)

competed senior last nationals:

Kang
Tisluk( met the Canadian standard at challenge)
Neuls ( has been listed as substitute twice also in last year)

competed junior last nationals

McNeil ( met the Canadian standard - current junior champion)

competed novice last nationals:

Najarro , Briggs ( top 2 at novice and the development camp was well talked about on Skate Canada's site so there is buzz around them)

I expect that Dana might get an assignment if the first batch of skaters don't do well enough in the first assignment to warrant a second.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Although I think that sending Neuls is a waste I would never say that Devon is not interested in self-improvement. Devon is due to compete in senior ladies at the BC summer skate. I have noticed though that Mcleod's students ( and Devon is one) don't tend to do any summer events outside the BC summer skate. That does sound like a Mcleod tactic.

Skaters who are selected for JGP assignments MUST participate in a summer competition. As you noted, Neuls does BC Summer Skate only, so that is the bare minimum. And the reason for that might very well be that she (and other BC skaters) fear getting marked lower outside home territory.

Other skaters who would like to get assignments such as Dana Z-T and McKenzie Crawford have signed up for multiple competitions, some in the US.

nadster

Final Flight
Just some quick notes:

Lacoste just might get Nebelhorn based on these results. Even though Skate Canada has listed only Samson at the moment they still could pick one other lady. If she can repeat the result in Quebec summer skate ( which has a much tougher field) all the merrier. She scored scored 48.11 in the short and 81.44 in the free for a total of 129.55, less than a point short of meeting the Canadian standard for senior international events.

Nice to see she is back on track after all the injury problems she has had.

Dana scored 37.34 in the short and 81.44 in the long for a total of 118.78 ( less than 2 points under the Canadian junior standard). She beat Kelsey McNeil, the current reigning junior champion in the short and long.

Some other notables:

Paul Parkinson ( finished 9th at last novice nationals ) beat the current novice national champion Jackson Wood in both the long and short program at Minto. Paul landed a triple loop - triple loop combo in both programs. As Jackson already has a JGP assignment, Paul has put himself in an excellent position to get one himself.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dana scored 118.78---that's just 1.22 points short of the infamous "Benchmark".

But look at the JUNIOR MEN's scores: Paul Parkinson easily won the event with 125.89 points. But Jackson Wood (117.04) and Shaquille Davis (110.57) are WAY farther away from the domestic benchmark of 155 than Paul is, and Jackson and Shaquille each got a JGP assignment.

nadster

Final Flight
Dana scored 118.78---that's just 1.22 points short of the infamous "Benchmark".

But look at the JUNIOR MEN's scores: Paul Parkinson easily won the event with 125.89 points. But Jackson Wood (117.04) and Shaquille Davis (110.57) are WAY farther away from the domestic benchmark of 155 than Paul is, and Jackson and Shaquille each got a JGP assignment.

If Dana does not get a JGP now , I'll be mad. She beat McNeil ( current junior champion) soundly ( who only made the standard at nationals when the programs are well honed) . Dana came close to the standard ( with a less honed program) and is likely to make it as she hones her program further. Dana has also added to her jump arsenal ( a clean triple flip) while McNeil can only add an underrotated triple lutz. Dana was jobbed in 2007 ( in favour of Kang who always bombs programs) and I don't want to see her suffer. Her score is higher than Kang has ever scored.

Parkinson has shown tremendous improvement. He was only 9th in novice last nationals. I am sure he flew under Skate Canada's radar.

Wood and Davis were 1st and 2nd at novice nationals and were invited to the development camp. As there was a lot of buzz around the development camp event, all the novices moving up to junior that got invites there are pretty much assured of JGP assignments.

I am pretty sure Parkinson will get a JGP based on this result.

dd45

Spectator
yes, Paul has improved a lot, but you also need to look at what else he did in his programs. In the short program he fell twice (3Lz and on the 2nd 3Lo), but had excellent levels on his elements which brought him above the other skaters. In the long, he did land the 3Lo-3Lo, but continued with popping three jumps (1Lz, 2S, 2T) and falling on two others (3Fp and 2nd 2A in sequence). He did however, beat both Jackson and Shaq, so we will have to see what skate canada does. Technically, neither of the three hit the SC benchmark so they're obviously going to bend it a little bit. Paul also skated in the senior level at Minto Skate but it appears he did much better in junior.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skate Canada is not "bending the benchmark a little bit". Truth is year after year, Skate Canada sets ridiculously high 'criteria' for international assignments, and 90% of the skaters who get assignments don't even come close to meeting the criteria.