Kerrs Continue to Push Dance Boundaries | Golden Skate

Kerrs Continue to Push Dance Boundaries

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Scottish ice dancers Sinead and John Kerr have always been among the most unique dancers competing at the international level. This year will be no different. [More...]

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Paula, what a great article about one of my favorite ice dance teams.

Go Kerrs :love:

emma

Record Breaker
Fantastic article - thanks so much! I find this team so innovative and creative - I can see why they like D/S (French) for that very reason.

So, for us non-dance experts, can anybody explain what keeps them behind the top pack in terms of scoring?

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I really think they should continue on to Sochi, not just Vancouver. By then they'll be able to medal at worlds. Plus, they've got so much artistic potential, I don't think they'll be able to show us all that they're capable of by 2010.

Kypma

Final Flight
Thanks so much for the great article! It's always so interesting to get the skaters' and coaches' views on things. I too wish they'd stay longer than 2010, their programs are always so wonderful! Though their OD last season is still my current favourite :)

Kypma

lmarie086

Medalist
I adore them. They bring something fresh to the ice dance field; it's always an adventure waiting to see what they come up with next.
And I highly doubt audiences will tire of them any time soon. It will be a sad day when they do retire, so I'm hoping that it's a long ways off.

Nice to read so far, that they do not have to be romantic. They have so much excellent technique, so much innovation, so why the underscoring year after year? Hopefully not this season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Let's hope the Kerrs arrive at Skate America in tip top shape with their programs fully developed. In previous years, the Kerrs have tended to show up at their first Grand Prix event in not nearly as good shape as they will show by Europeans. Especially in ice dance,where the top teams are quite close in technical skills, this is a particularly bad thing. So much of scores & expectations for the rest of the year are set in the first 2 events or so.

That is one problem they have had in the past, including this last season. To compare: Their first event last year was Cup of China.

CD TES 15.36 PCS 14.16 Total 29.52 (top score DomShab 38.77)
OD TES 25.43 PCS 23.50 Total 48.93 (top score DomShab 62.2)
FD TES 38.60 PCS 36.94 Total 75.54 (top score B&S 98.41)

Total Kerr 152.99 (total top score B&A 195.11)

At Worlds, Kerrs scored 186.94

Also, as John said in the article, he has trouble with the twizzles and puts a foot down.. As a result, their levels on twizzle sequences is often quite low. And the tech points are given accordingly. This is why their high tech scores at Worlds were such a big deal for them.