What to Expect from Coach/Choreographer Change? | Golden Skate

What to Expect from Coach/Choreographer Change?

Several Singles and Teams have changed one, the other or both, what effect do you anticipate from them?

Kimmie Meissner - I would hope she gets back the joy in skating and competing. Callaghan should be able to do it.

Evan Lysacek - I would expect a more lyrical approach to his style. Will TT give him the ability to wow us with Gershwin? Meanwhile, it would be also good if Frank ensures his 3A is real.

Mao Asada - I don't know what to expect from TT for her. She already has the total package. Maybe a bit more expression.

Stephane Lambiel - Not sure at all what Viktor Petrenko can do for him. Hopefully, work on the 3A to make it solid, and maybe give him an exra push for a better camel spin. Whatever choreography comes about, he will make it musical.

Nobunari Oda - Morozov could work on his stamina and make him look more of a mature skater. Maybe a quad????

I'm sure there are other Singles who have changed coaches, choreographers or both, please mention and what you expect from the change.

Other than Volosozhar/Morozov and what to expect, what other Teams (Pairs and Dance) you can mention and who have changed coaches/choreographers?

Vincero

Rinkside
Kimmie - She already sounds much happier in the recent article, so good for her. I think regaining her confidence should be top priority, closely followed by fixing the 3-3 and lip. Her presentation has also gradually improved, although not dramatically so, but they'll probably also work on that.

Evan - I honestly don't know. Bolero is close enough to his current style, but I think Rhapsody in Blue will be interesting. Maybe a cross between his Singin' in the Rain program and Ave Maria EX? Either way, really looking forward to this.

Mao - Well, I don't think there's going to be a huge improvement, since Mao had already worked with her before so I'm guessing her things will be in the same vein.

Lambiel - Probably just to fix some technical problems. His style doesn't need any tweaking obviously.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Brian Joubert changed his choreographer - but I'm not sufficiently familiar with Platov's work apart from ice dance so I'm not really sure what the effect will be.

There was, of course, the Takahashi/Morozov split; I am not sure who Dai ended up with coaching-wise, but I hope to see more of him in his performances - I sometimes had the feeling that his programs reflected Morozov's style more than his own.

I can't even begin to keep track of all the coaching changes among the ice dancers...

I do hope Kimmie Meissner's move works out and that she'll come back happy, focused, and confident. And though it's tangential to this thread, please don't let the ladies' event at Worlds be as much of a letdown as it was this year.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hoping that Lambiel will work hard for Petrenko and be really motivated again. And I'd like to see him improve his 3A technique. Viktor's was always great! I'm hoping he can teach Stephane his technique for the 3A.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think that Tanith and Ben will look more european and more dramatic

I think that Kimmie will feel more confident and rotate her jumps better

I think that Ashley Wagner will develop a more gentler style (we have already seen shades of that at Liberty).

I think Evan will really come alive to the music, but jump more inconsistently.

I think that Stephane will be the same. Somehow I always see him as the same.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I really hope Tanith and Ben's style doesn't change drastically, but I have a sinking feeling it will, and I am not sure I will personally be able to get on board with that. I just hope they keep that Tanith and Ben part of their skating which makes them special.

Last edited:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I hope that B&A will improve artisticly. They've got evrything for them, only most of their LPs tend to be esthetic and not artistic.

I think with Mao it'll be more of the same, though I have a feeling it'll be better.

I agree with Joe on his analysis on Oda.

As for Stephane, technicly, I'm hoping he'll fix his 3A. Artisticly, I don't know what to expect. I think Stephane should try working with lots of different choreographers, because although he's amazing, his skating tends to be a lot of the same. Poeta in that respect was great, because it was different, yet Stephane-like.

As for Brian, I'm a little sceptical about him working with Platov. He's done great work with the Kerrs, but I wonder if he can create something to fit Brian's personnality?