Michelle and that elusive 3/3 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Michelle and that elusive 3/3

alina

Rinkside
If you center on 3/3s then,imo,you will be missing much of figure skating
I am certainly not a fan who is focussed on the jumps - on the contrary: I like skaters with artistically expression more than "only jumpers" (a little oversubtle).
In Michelle´s case I have the feeling she will need the combination and .. it´s her turn now at olympics - although I am not a special Michelle fan- she deserves the golden but she has to show everything she can. we will see what will happen - long way to go.

..but they may also become injuries...
I totally agree. of course there is everytimes the danger of serious injuries in competitive sports because the bodies are stressed so much.

Alina

Bynx

On the Ice
As far as injuries for 3/3's,
I heard the Bebe Liang pulled out of a competition a couple of days ago due to a re occurance of an old hip injury. I hope that it is nothing to serious. Doesn't she have some GP assignments this season? I really want to see her.

Alina - The subject of MK's 3/3s has been around since 98! It is five years later and the same subject is here as usual.

We all agree one or two 3/3s would be great for MK.

Now, a question for you... Did MK need a 3/3 in Washington DC in spite of the fact that Elena S had 2 beautifully executed 3/3s and Sasha had one?

Was the judging fair? Not when they all agree can we think of unfair.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:

I thought her greatest asset prior to '03 was her consistency. Now I think Michelle's greatest asset is everything, except the 3/3; that's how far ahead I think she is of everyone else. Ota is a vision, but I saw her Jr. Worlds LP and she's got many, many years to go in order to reach Michelle's level of capability, IMO.
For various reasons and with the right help, I felt she pulled herself up to a whole new level technically and performance-wise.
Rgirl

ITA. Being a fan for all those year, her FOG at Olympics and 03's Nats adn World performances are the ones truelly touched me to soul. Even TT said Michelle got the 2nd wind. She's a phenex rise from the ash after the 2002.

Joe said:

Now, a question for you... Did MK need a 3/3 in Washington DC in spite of the fact that Elena S had 2 beautifully executed 3/3s and Sasha had one?

I'll try to answer the question. ;).

Under CoP Michelle would still win even ES landed 2 3/3. The 2 3/3 would only make ES 4 to 5 points -- the extra triple jump -- more than Michelle in tech mark compare to Michelle's 6 triples. But Michelle won over ES in every other elements and would get more GOE points than ES in the tech mark. Together with the advantage of second mark (5 components) which Michelle clearly has the advantage than any lady competed at the Worlds. These would easiely made up more than 4 to 5 points.

Under current judge system. There would be a split may be 6/3 or 5/4 compared 8/1 Michelle would still win.

EuroSport (not ABC) commentators thought so as well. They know ES could do 2 3/3 clean program, but they still said after Kwan's LP that they don't think ES could've beat a performance like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

alina

Rinkside
Joe!
In Washington- at this competition - Michelle didn´t need this 3/3, right. she was - no doubt- the best with a wonderful performance without 3/3.
what I want to say is:
it´s a risk that there will again come a younger skater and take the golden away at olympics like Sarah Hughes (does somebody thought she would be the olympic champion in that year!).
at olympics it was n o t enough to win for Michelle.
If she will do 3/3 , there is no other who can win than Michelle.

I would like to follow your suggestion and watch Campbells but I live in Germany and I think it will be difficult to see something on TV but at worlds I will watch ´live everything and then I will give you my exactly assessment about the ladies.

:D
Alina