Michelle and that elusive 3/3 | Golden Skate

Michelle and that elusive 3/3

Excidra2001

On the Ice
It's the off season and hey we need a skater to criticize and Kwan fit the bill. But on a serious note. I know she's a great skater and has what it takes to win a 6th world title, but does anyone really think she can win with a 6 triple progarm again?
I don't want to rule it out, but i'm very skeptical about that. Some have seen what the Japaense ladies can do and some have heard(like my self) and plus Elena with a consistent 2 3/3s and only god knows what she has instore for us in terms of technical difficultie.
Plus some of the younger US ladies coming up who are technically strong.

With the season soon beginning and Michelle deciding not to participate in the GP series again, she should have atleast a consistent 3/3 or will 6-7(when was the last time she completed 7 triples in one program) get her by again?

Here is how I see. If Michelle is taking off the GP series, she'll have a few months to practice and get her programs consistent. There is no excuse(other then an injury) why she can't practice or atleast have a 3/3 in her arsenal of jumps.
Maybe it's wise that she has a few competitions in her schedule but it's going to be really something when other female skaters are landing 3/3s and quads in front of her.

Go ahead now, throw those tomatoes at me. *ouch*:D

Last edited:

IceCastles1814

Rinkside
My take on MK and the 3/3s is that she is still capable of doing them, but is thinking of Turino and trying to at least lower her chances of burning out or injury in case she decides to try to go. Whether it's it's a wise strategy depends on what she wants from these next two seasons. Injuries happen mostly because of bad training or overtraining, which Mk has successfully avoided for the most part. They can happen for other reasons than 3/3s, but, she has nothing to prove, she could sit one or both out and still train. I have heard that she has an off-ice trainer and her improvements in jump height and that landing on the 2nd triple lutz show me that she may be leading up to tacking another triple onto that jump, especially. Can she win without a 6 triple program and no 3/3 this coming season? It depends on a lot of things. I would say probably not, if everyone [Sasha, Fumie, Elena, Irina] is skating well with 3/3s, but you don't know that until the competiton. I think she might, if she competes this season, go to a 7 triple program (no 3/3). Aranjuez had a 7th triple choreographed into the closing seconds [just in case], but she did the falling leaf, spread eagle instead. So it seems she could do that for now. A 3/3 in the short would be good too, because it wouldn't drain her stamina so much. So, I don't really see Aranjuez as a step down for Michelle, she really did improve so many things from the season before last season.

Last edited:
Michelle, imo, is an extremely beautiful skater - one of the few in the history of the sport.

At this point in her competitive career she remains a mystery to me. We could nit pick the 3/3s now until the Olys, but that doesn't get her a consistent 3/3.

It's not like a few summers ago when we were discussing her flutz (another nit-picking summer fun). Then we realized that just about every American female skater flutzed and flutzed badly into a flip. So the nitpicking stopped on the flutz especially since her lutz is now more consistent, but not so with certain other American skaters.

Back at the 3/3s. The answer as to whether she does any in whatever competitions she enters is up for grabs. She mentioned there was hip problems last year. I don't think she will jeapordize her body for a medal. She certainly doesn't have to in order to remain the popular competitive skater that she is.

Back at the mystery. She does remain just that. She has the ability to do 3/3s but will she work on them for consistency sake?

Does anyone know what she is working on at the rink? New jumps? new spins? What music is she skating to? What choreography is being done? Will there be any new nuances? What color will the new costume be?

Hopefully, we get some answers at Campbells. Maybe a 3/3, but I doubt it.

Joe

Bynx

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Does anyone know what she is working on at the rink? New jumps? new spins? What music is she skating to? What choreography is being done? Will there be any new nuances? What color will the new costume be?

Hopefully, we get some answers at Campbells. Maybe a 3/3, but I doubt it.

Joe

According to davesato Michelle's rink is "Paramount Iceland " or it is atleast rumored to be. Michelle said last season that she felt she would definitely need a consistent 3/3 this season(don't know wheather she means just a 3t/3t or something more).
Both of her programs were choreographed by Morosov in the span of three days.

She is also taking some classes, so don't know if it cuts into her training schedule or not.

That's all that's known so far.

Thanks for the info Bynx. Every little mystery solved is something with regard to Ms "Kwan's to be alone attitude"

If she does do a 3t/3t, that will be enough to satisfy the requirement.

Joe

I will be curious to see how the Code of Points will play into all this. It might turn out that a triple-triple will be necessary for all skaters just to crank up the points.

Mathman

Lucy25

Final Flight
Excidra - No need to throw tomatoes, yours is a very legitimate question. :) I am in agreement with those who have already posted. I think Michelle is capable of 3/3's, but is in no rush to injure herself. I think if she makes her decision to for sure try for the Olympics, then a 3/3 will be seriously worked on next season, maybe this season. I would like to see her go for one this season, even the 3t/3t, but she knows her body best. What I am really hoping is that if there is no 3/3 this year, that a 7 triple program is planned, *along with* the choreography she would have to replace. Why not do the split falling leaf in a 7 triple program?

skatepixie

On the Ice
I think MK will most ikely never have a 3/3 again. Just my take. I think that its going to become the only way for her to have a chance, because Sasha is getting more consistant. The pressure is on, and MK seems like she blows it at the Olyms...so it wont be a good idea for her to include a 3/3 at Turino...

Bynx

On the Ice
skatepixie said:
I think MK will most ikely never have a 3/3 again. Just my take. I think that its going to become the only way for her to have a chance, because Sasha is getting more consistant. The pressure is on, and MK seems like she blows it at the Olyms...so it wont be a good idea for her to include a 3/3 at Turino...

I completely disagree!

Mk will defintely have a 3/3 again and I think Michelle will attempt a 3/3 in Torino if she does compete.
Arguably, having a 3/3 could've won her the gold in Nagano, but she didn't feel it was wise to change her program that close to the Olympics because it would be hard to adjust, especially still nursing her foot injury. She really didn't need the 3/3 in SLC, if she had skated clean she would've won.

I don't call winning two olympic medals blowing it.
Especially, considering that 95% of the skaters have/will never
even get that close to gold or winning a medal.

I think Michelle has so obviously evolved after the "disappointments" of not winning gold. You could see it after nagano and now can tell she has really found something new within herself and with Scott.

I'm gonna wait until we see how this new scoring system pans out before making any more assumptions.

Last edited:

Norlite

On the Ice
Bynx said:
I don't call winning two olympic medals blowing it.

I agree Bynx. And it is a shame some do. An Olympic medal of any kind, especially in a sport like skating, where competitors only compete in one event, unlike swimmers, skiers, and others, is a remarkable achievement.

If there was such a thing as "blowing it" and I don't think it is the best term, it would be being favoured for a medal, and coming home without one.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Actually if you ask me, Michelle is pretty consistant with her triple-triple. She's landed at least one clean 3/3 every season since 19941995 except for in 97-98 when she had the fractured toe and 02-03 in which she was having problems with her hip. While I agree that she needs to be more consistent with it in future competitions, I think her consistency thus far (considering the technical demands in the ladies field from 95 to present) has been very good. The only 2 seasons in which she didn't do her 3/3 were seasons in which she had an injury or in the case of this past season a problem which could have escalated into an injury. I think its smart of her not to push her body when it is hurting simply for the sake of a medal.

Just my 2 cents

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Michelle did a great 3-3 in the 2002 Worlds QR. Being unable to 'control her own destiny' or whatever, I don't think doing a 3-3 in the LP would have really accomplished anything. I think she just wanted to better her LP performance from SLC.

In the future, you never know what will happen. Other skaters go through slumps or land 3-3's but miss something else. It's all a wash after a while. If Irina or Sasha (or another competitive skater) is consistently doing 3-3's and skating clean programs next season, I'm sure she'll attempt it when she feels she'll need it.

rtureck

Final Flight
I know she's a great skater and has what it takes to win a 6th world title, but does anyone really think she can win with a 6 triple progarm again?

Excidra, are you serious? Do you really want Michelle to win a sixth world title? ;)

I thought you want Irina to win her second world gold in 2004. I think Irina can win her second world title without a 3/3 or a seven triple program, although I really want her to be consistent with her 3/3 and win convincingly with a 7 triple program with a 3/3, and a 3/3/2. I know she is capable of doing that.

BTW, what is Irina skating to this year. I can only hope she will be Lucia this season. I think Donizetti is 10 times more dramatic than Puccini or Verdi. Irina is becoming a dramatic skater in the highest order. It will be so much more exciting to watch Irina as Lucia, than having to suffer through 4 dozens swamp lake programs.

I want Irina to wear a costume similar to this one:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006469I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

with some nice illusion of real BLOOD

http://www.drippingblood.com/images/ANIdripRed.gif

for the MAD SCENE

Back to Michelle Kwan, has she decided to compete beyond October? I am picking Fumie to win Campbells. Just watch my signature.

Last edited:

Excidra2001

On the Ice
rtureck said:
Excidra, are you serious? Do you really want Michelle to win a sixth world title?

I thought you want Irina to win her second world gold in 2004. I think Irina can win her second world title without a 3/3 or a seven triple program, although I really want her to be consistent with her 3/3 and win convincingly with a 7 triple program with a 3/3, and a 3/3/2. I know she is capable of doing that.

BTW, what is Irina skating to this year. I can only hope she will be Lucia this season. I think Donnizetti is 10 times more dramatic than Puccini or Verdi. Irina is becoming a dramatic skater in the highest order. It will be so much more exciting to watch Irina as Lucia, than having to suffer through 4 dozens swamp lake programs.

Back to Michelle Kwan, has she decided to compete beyond October? I am picking Fumie to win Campbells. Just watch my signature.

I said Michelle has what it takes to win a 6th world title, I didn't say I wanted a particular skater to win the ladies world title next season all though a 2nd world title for Irina would be awsome(I don't want to jinx her).

Speaking of Irina winning without a 3/3, I think we would've been in agreement two seasons ago but thinks have changed, new skaters(storng skaters) have emerged since 02 worlds and Irina is not really leading the pack technically anymore but she seems to be right in the mix of things. Her 3/3/0.5/2/2(and her attempt at Euro's) at last year's nationals proves to me that she does not want to be taken down technically. I would've said the same thing about Michelle had I seen some 3/3 planned in her programs and some attempts(even if she failed in attempt to land the 3/3) last season.

Regarding Irina's programs, let's just say i'm sooooo anxious to find out.

Last edited:

rtureck

Final Flight
Regarding Irina's programs, let's just say i'm sooooo anxious to find out.

Has her camp announced it yet. If they are in the planning stage, can you email her webmaster to put in a word Lucia di Lammermoor, an innocent lady driven mad? Irina has done Carmen, DQ, Tosca, and Violetta. These are all good character, but I am telling you Lucia will be a good one for her to stretch her interpretation power. Besides, I am sure no one will pick this Donizetta opera, so she won't go to worlds like the rest of the skaters doing the 36th swamp lake of the day.

Last edited:

MidnightNess

Rinkside
My two cents

I'm sure Michelle herself knows she needs a 3/3 and soon. But I do think the last few years, she's been training them the wrong way. She had that back injury back in 2001 after training for the 3sal/3loop and then hip problems this season which i'm guessing, is probably due to training the 3lutz/3loop. Now that she has an off ice trainer and her jumps are looking better than ever, we might see one. Then again,we might not but Michelle does have a knack for whipping out a 3/3 when it's desperately needed (olympics aside). To sum it up, I do think Michelle is not blind to the fact that she'll need one sooner than later. As long as Michelle is enjoying herself out there and adds a teensy bit more choreography in her LPs, i'm satisfied. She has everything else going for her.

I can't wait to see both Michelle's and Irina's programs. I consider these two veterans, the cream of the crop and the ones to beat.

:) Oh joy, oh rapture, another trail blazing role.

I recall Kitri, Deliah, Carmen, Tosca and Violeta. Irina will do another character. Lucia! If one doesn't know the opera there is a big mad scene. I can see Irina's hands going up on her head as she sways it to right and then to the left.

She skated so well at the last competition after the Worlds. There was no character just Irina. It was wonderful. I was hoping she would continue without those opera characters.

Oh well, I do wish her luck this season. I like the idea of increasing the age of golden skaters.

Joe

Fossi

Final Flight
Does Michelle need the 3/3? Not necessarily. Will she have one? I think she probably will. She is a tough, smart cookie. She knows what she needs vs. what she doesn't to win.
Afterall, the only skaters to compete against her with CONSISTENT 3/3's were Tara Lipinski, and *Sarah Hughes*:love: None of the remaining eligible skaters have CONSISTENT 3/3's, so why the issue of Michelle and her 3/3's? Elena Sokolova seems to have worked on her consistency with the 3/3's, but we shall soon see.
All this talk of 3/3's. Makes me miss Sarah even more. I loved her 3/3's. She is amazing!

rtureck

Final Flight
Oh joy, oh rapture, another trail blazing role.

Well Joe, are you making fun? I can see Lucia as trail blazing role.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Irina will do another character. Lucia! If one doesn't know the opera there is a big mad scene. I can see Irina's hands going up on her head as she sways it to right and then to the left.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone skated to this role before? We have Kitri, Delilah, Carmen, Tosca many times over, not too sure about Violeta. Lucia is a challenging character to interpret. I think Irina is uniquely suited for this one. Lucia is both innocent and complex. Just look at Irina's face, there is an innocent beauty there. Yet she can be very dramatic, and bel canto. Donizetti wrote bel canto operas. Perhaps the most important aspect of bel canto singing is the strive for a pure legato sound. Legato is defined as "passing from note to note, cleanly, readily and naturally, with not the slightest vocal irregularity or interruption between tones."

Irina's skating is bel canto, she is awesome with her basic skating skills, and she can pass from element to element, cleanly, and naturally. Please keep an open mind about it.

Lucia will be a lot more exciting than watching another swamp lake program.

Last edited:

Excidra2001

On the Ice
rtureck said:
Has her camp announced it yet. If they are in the planning stage, can you email her webmaster to put in a word Lucia di Lammermoor, an innocent lady driven mad? Irina has done Carmen, DQ, Tosca, and Violetta. These are all good character, but I am telling you Lucia will be a good one for her to stretch her interpretation power. Besides, I am sure no one will pick this Donizetta opera, so she won't go to worlds like the rest of the skaters doing the 36th swamp lake of the day.

Irina had her programs picked out in June with her new choreographer. The chorerographer is said to be a former Russian skater(could it be Morzov, ummmm). But if you really want Irina to skate to 'Lucia di lammermoor' send her a letter asking her to skate to that piece of music and attach a CD(which has the music of 'Lucia Lammermoor' on it).
Her exhibition music to 'Timeless' was suggested by a fan who gave her the CD and asked her to skate to it.

Sorry to go off topic.