Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Tara dissed on E!NewsLive

Lipinski fan, my first thought when I read your reply was that money talks. I may be wrong. Just what came into my head.

Custom Woman
    If money talked in terms of getting people into the biz in Hollywood, the Hilton sisters would be in a major motion picture coming soon to a theater near you. Actually, Paris Hilton was in one movie that I know of. Can't recall the name offhand (not a memorable film) and it was a small role, but apparently, the producers liked her.

And Madonna, with all her gajillions, hasn't even been passable in any of her many film acting attempts, with the exception of her first major role in "Desperately Seeking Susan," where she basically played herself.

Yazmeen,
    ITA that Tara seems to have the acumen and the personality to be a great sports agent, and we certainly need more women in that field. And as Euterpe said, Tara may find that she has many more talents and interests than she realizes.

Although Euterpe, I think maybe you missed the part of my post where I say:
    The way I see it, even if an actor does get a helping hand breaking into the biz, they won't stay long or go very far unless they have the acting chops to keep going on their own.

Although I would like to see Tara go to college, I don't see her "clinging to the idea of celebrity." To me, Tara is pursuing acting, which is something in which she has always expressed an interest. Maybe living in NY rather than LA provides a different perspective because here there are a lot of actors who have made their living doing acting gigs for decades and who have no celebrity at all. I'm sure there are many like that in LA as well, it's just that in LA the glitz and glam of the LA movie scene is emphasized more. IMO, reality will catch up with Tara soon enough, whether she succeeds or fails as an actor. So as long as she's trying to do something she wants, especially since her first love is physically no longer possible, I wish her the best. Actually, I give Tara props for not dwelling on the misfortune of her hip injury and not being able to skate seriously, and moving forward with her life. While I advocate college education, for me it's not the only valuable way to learn. Ever since she came on the figure skating scene up through now, Tara has been getting an education in life few are privvy to. I may not see acting as Tara's calling but if she only succeeds to the level of community theater and is happy with that, it's her life. Though like Yazmeen, I think Tara has a good business sense and if nothing else the tenacity to be sucessful at a lot of things. But if you're successful at something you hate--unless you have another motivation, like you have children and the job pays well--where's the joy of life in that?

To me it seems as if Tara is in a difficult transitional period. It was less than a year ago that Tara reinjured her hip rehearsing for "Ice Wars"; she skated in pain for many years; this past season was her first not with SOI since '98-99; and her whole life up to the reinjury, except for occasional acting gigs, had been figure skating. I think anybody would need time to refocus and adjust under the circumstances. Good luck, Tara!
    Rgirl

Custom Title
    It's true that many actors have been in the businessfor many years , just making a living with small parts and commercials, with no celebrity at all.

However, Tara has gotten her acting jobs BECAUSE she is a celebrity. On each one, she got special billing as a "guest star". If she were able to make a successful transition to an acting career, she would be seeking at least featured, if not starring roles.

It is not a knock on Tara that she wants to remain in the spotlight. If you think about it, she has known no other life except that of a celebrity since she was a small child.

Custom Woman
    Originally posted by euterpe
    It's true that many actors have been in the businessfor many years , just making a living with small parts and commercials, with no celebrity at all.

However, Tara has gotten her acting jobs BECAUSE she is a celebrity. On each one, she got special billing as a "guest star". If she were able to make a successful transition to an acting career, she would be seeking at least featured, if not starring roles.

It is not a knock on Tara that she wants to remain in the spotlight. If you think about it, she has known no other life except that of a celebrity since she was a small child.
    We agree on two out of three and I'd say that's a good note to end at least our discussion on
    Rgirl

Originally posted by euterpe
    Kate Hudson, Michael Douglas, Charlie Sheen and Gwyneth Paltrow are all talented actors who have succeeded on their talent, not their parent's help.
    But their parents helped them get into the business. I very much doubt we'd ever hear of Kate Hudson if it weren't for her family. I mean, she's not a bad actress, but there are tons of much more talented ones. Many of those we'll never hear of because they don't have a known name. But we're going to hear and see many of less talented ones, but with the right connections.

Custom Title
    There are DEGREES of talent. Maybe Kate Hudson isn't a worldshaking actress, but she IS talented. She's also very young, and she definitely has potential.

It's the Tori Spellings who really owe their acting careers to nepotism. Tori has appeared on Daddy's shows and has been in countless B- and C- made-for-TV melodramas, but she is not a "Hollywood star" because she is a very mediocre actress.

Lipinskifan - Tara's father got Tara a plug during a newscast on ABC when she skated juniors and did a couple of triples. If this wasn't a paid hype then the man has to be quite influential, oil and all.

Joe

Custom Title
    HYPE

Tara was hyped since she was a novice, IMHO there is nothing wrong with that. She is really that good . Olympic champion nuff said.

There is nothing she can do about it, if others are hyping. As far as I know Tara does not buy into the hype herself. She goes about her business like a mature responsible young lady/ woman.

There is of course a risk with HYPING , the backfire if a skater is hyped by self or by press/fans/ PR team, and fails to materialize it.
    Last edited by rtureck; 09-27-2003 at 04:42 PM.

The Tara hype interrupted a news broadcast. No other newscast was interrupted to say a skater executed two triples in the history of figure skating. I believe she came in second in that competition. This was several years before the Olympics. It would seem money or influence could only get that sort of hype. No other skater has ever done that.

Joe

NM Pinon Picker
    :sheesh: Could someone please lock this thread already? Wow...10 pages over a comment on E! - too much. Just MHO. Thank for the consideration.

Tripping on the Podium
    I for one definately think some lips need to be locked! Some of these comments are horrible.

I never was a big fan of Taras. I hated when she won the gold from Michelle BUT

She is a very pretty girl and I see nothing wrong with how she presents herself. I hope acting pans out for her. She is so talented it will be ashame is she just does not continue to excell at something, I too think she has natural acting abilities. Thats all I have to say on that.

Best of luck to Tara. I did not understand just what she has gone thru with her hip but thanks to one very informative post(thankyou) I have learned alot. Anyone that can rise above all this is a very special person. If your not a Tara fan thats okay but its just not right to be downright mean just because you can. What goes around comes around.

Custom Title
    I have read most of these posts, mistyeyed, and I see very little mean-spirited stuff. Criticism isn't necessarily bashing, you know. Some folks liked Tara's costumes and pictures, some did not, and that is to be expected, as peoples' tastes vary. Some expressed concern about Tara's thinness.

As for Tara's acting aspirations, let's face it: Tara's major talent was figure skating. It is VERY hard to make a living as an actor unless there is major talent, and that is just not the case for Tara. But whether or not people thought Tara could make it as an actor, just about everyone wished her well in her future endeavors.

Ileana
    Originally posted by Rgirl
    Tara got dissed for missing SOI shows and dissed for skating in them. She can't win.
    ITA, no matter what Tara does she will always be crticized. I don't care if she dresses well or not (but personally I think most of her outfits are great). Besides being a skater or actress I think Tara as a person is great! I've never known anyone who dedicates so much time to her fans and she is extremely grateful. In 2000 she gave everyone working for one of her fanclubs, Triumph On Ice (not official), Stars On Ice tickets. And recently she spent 45 minutes signing things for TaraFans.com at the rink in South Carolina when it was only suppposed to be 15 minutes. I've been lucky to see her twice (at SOI and the Blue Crush premiere) and both times she was so happy and didn't refuse to pictures or autographs. Plus I have recieved many handwritten cards and letters from her saying thank you for gifts I've sent.

Anyway, that's just my opinion...

Hi, Ileana. Thanks for posting on this Tara thread and welcome to Golden Skate. One thing for sure, look how many people are still interested in Tara and her career on and off the ice -- this thread went on for 10 pages!

Bottom line, we all wish this splendid world, Olympic and professional champion good health and a happy future.

Mathman

Other than dissing Tara on whether or not she had it easy to get roles on soaps, my questions is: Has there ever been a top tier figure skater who became a top tier actor?

Could any of them play Blanche duBois? or Cool Hand Luke?

I'm willing to give them a try but I'm not in the movie business to make money.

Joe

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast