Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Tara dissed on E!NewsLive

On the Ice
    FOSSI - i agree. I saw her a couple a months ago on tv in a competition/showing of some sort and she looked horrible. I mean shes always been a tiny girl but now she looks unnaturaly thin.

Custom Woman
    Love the Fiona Apple quote, SugarCoated. OT: One of my favorite singers. Wish she'd do another album. It's been four years since "When the Pawn..."

Speaking of Off Topic: Sorry, Joe. Forgot to add the OFF TOPIC caveat to the "Obligatory Giganto Rgirl Post." Taf2002 asked some legitimate and serious questions about something I said in another post. Perhaps I should have started a new thread on Tara's hip, but I don't think I could take another thread on Tara's hip.

Anyway, except for my edits for length, what I posted is the way Tara tells it. I thought it was worth hearing from Tara herself re her hip.

Back to THE topic, Tara's clothes/costumes: I think she looks lovely in blue, though I like the lighter, brighter shades of blue on her better than the navy.

And I agree with Sugercoated that Tara thinness does have a rather purposefully starved look to it. Someone said Tara said her hip hurts less at a lower weight. I hope her hip is not still that bad, but unfortunately I can believe it, I mean about feeling less hip pain at a lower weight. Whatever the truth is, I wish her the best. She was a bright skating star for a short time who never had the opportunity to mature as a skater and fully enjoy the fruits of her early success. I find that sad for any athlete.
    Rgirl

Rinkside
    rgirl-I don't want you to think that I don't take Tara's injury seriously but I still have my doubts that it went back as far as she now says, mostly because I think if Mike Berg had ever got a whiff of it, he would have had a field day with "little girl in pain soldiers thru & wins the Olys" stories. And I probably don't have as much sympathy as I should for her, because of some of the things she has said-like never warming up and the gold was worth ruining her hip. She is such a bad role model and that bothers me. If she was hurting in 98, why didn't she ditch the loop/loop and scale back on her marathon training schedule? Would have been so awful to win the silver in 98 and stay eligible and healthy for 02?

For the record, I think Tara was a phenom in many ways and her eligible programs were absolutely perfect for her-music, choreography & costumes. Her Speed/Prince of Tides programs is probably my favorite long of hers.

Getting back to the original topic, I see nothing wrong with the midriff-baring costumes, but IMO many of Tara's have not flattered her body type (like GIAB) & that Teen Choice selection is simply horrendous. The bows on the straps & the skirt material look like something a 5 yr old would wear, and the shoes don't go at all. The blue costume with sequins & raggedy skirt someone posted above is beautiful and IMO she has worn more good costumes than bad. It's just that she's like the little girl with the curl, when she's bad, she's very very bad, costume-wise.

Custom Woman
    Taf,
    Thanks for the response and it goes without saying that you are entitled to your opinion. As I say in the post, Tara's statement that her hip was misdiagnosed for four years doesn't square with "it started hurting in '98 before the Olympics" and the correct diagnosis and surgery in Sept. 2000. Tara may have a perfectly understandable explanation, but like I said, we'd have to ask her.

As for the "why didn't she cut back on her training?" and things like that, I talk about those in the post. I know, it's a monster, but they're in there, lol.

Also, although your questions prompted me to write the post, I didn't write it just for that reason. As Joe said, opinions about Tara's hip come up no matter what the topic about Tara. I figured since a first-person account by Tara was available I might as well post the essential excerpts so people could "hear" it from Tara.

We have different views on this, but I understand your suspicions. It took many years of working with many injured athletes and also just regular patients and also seeing a whole lot of things in the medical profession before what I saw made me reassess my ideas on certain things. Anyway, we see things differently, but I think we can agree to disagree

BTW, I don't think Tara is a bad role model at all. Like I said, she didn't do anything virtually every other top elite athlete doesn't do--work hard, push herself, try to be the best. Like I said, she just got caught in the injury net. Athletes move in unknown territory in terms of their bodies. Risk is part of the game. As I said, IMO, Tara was just trying the wrong move at the wrong time. Having been a dancer, you do a lot of things that hurt. Ninety-nine percent of the time you take some time off and you're fine. IMO, Tara had no possible way of knowing how much damage she was doing to her hip in '98. And when doctors keep telling you it's just a muscle pull and that basically you're fine, it's very hard to tell the people who expect you to bring in a lot of paying customers that the doctors are wrong and you're just not going to skate. But as I said, we see things differently.

Including her clothes. I like 'em
    Rgirl
    Last edited by Rgirl; 09-06-2003 at 02:20 PM.

Custom Title
    Hmm, looks like Tara's taking our advice just a little bit in these pics:

[url]http://www.tararulz.com/gallery/awards/appearances/bif/index.html[/url]

I don't know what she's doing in Bangkok and I'm not sure about the blue flower thingy, but I love the dress itself!

Tripping on the Podium
    how about these?
    [url]http://www.tararulz.com/gallery/photographers/angiehubbard/tarafans/.[/url]

Is that her underwear sticking out in every single picture?

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    I actually think it's a bathingsuit, it being Carolina and all.

AsTimeGoesBy, not only is she in Bangkok, it's 2004! But with a face like this, who cares?

[url]http://www.tararulz.com/gallery/awards/appearances/bif/r8.html[/url]

Realtorgal, think of it as a little color accent on those drab shorts.

Mathman

PS. Can you believe this thread got up to 8 pages? I wonder if there will be so much interest in, say, next year's World Championships, LOL.

Custom Title
    In those Carolina pictures, Tara is frighteningly thin. Her arms and legs are like sticks with little musculature.

Tripping on the Podium
    mathman that is a very nice pic.

It's just the big version of one of the pics that you posted, FanForLady. They are all beautiful.

MM

Mathman - That's the first picture I've seen of her where she looks like a young lady. She's kinda likea Jane Powell, if you remember her. I dig it.

Joe

The lovely Ms. Powell:

[url]http://www.reeljewels.com/jpowell/jp5.jpg[/url]

[FONT=century gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]If anyone is interested, I believe they're re-running the episode of 7th Heaven where she plays the world's most wholesome looking prostitute tonight.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast