"Ugly" Skating Costumes | Golden Skate

"Ugly" Skating Costumes

S

SkateFan4Life

On the flip side, some of my favorite skaters have appeared in costumes that have made me shake my head in dismay. "What were they thinking???"

Many of the ice dancers have worn costumes that resemble thrown-together rags. Just simply UGLY. Pieces of fabric, beads, and feathers all over the place. YUK.

Lobocheva/Averbukh and Anissina/Peizerat both win the booby prize for "Most Ugly Costumes", in my estimation. Their garish costumes were so distracting! I spent more time watching their outfits - to see if anything would fall off - than I did watching their performances.

Maria Butryaskaya never did settle the "panty issue". Her exposed fanny was quite distracting, and her costumes were pretty scant. Not enough skin was covered, and the fit was very unflattering, in my opinion.

Sarah Hughes has worn a few costumes that resemble the style of bathing suits that were fashionable in the 1950s. Very long skirt, no sleeves, long cut. Ugh.

Irina Slutskaya has worn some perfectly AWFUL skating costumes.
Her 2002 Winter Olympics long program dress resembled a patchwork quilt. Some of her other dresses looked like rags.
I really like Irina, but her costumes -- ugh.

Anyone out there with similar complaints??

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Well, my favorite skater is Evgeni, and I know some of his costumes will
get totally bashed here, but I love them. The only one I don't care for is
the one for Once Upon a Time in America, and it would be okay except for
the weird things on his shoulders. What are those? Why are they there?
I don't know....:confused:

Some other skaters have worn hideous outfits, but not (crossing my fingers!)
my favorites. (Yes, I did like Alexander Abt's Bolero costume :p )

Laura :)

SkateCynic

Rinkside
Oh goody!! A fun, slightly snarky thread!!!

The Russians:

Abt's Psilocybin Sailor costume
Abt's orange, black, and mesh Bolero costume
Just about anything Plush has worn
Vika's spider/bat costume
Irina's psychedelic orange and purple Victory costume
Irina's Oly Tosca costume (loved the patchwork comment!!)
The Loverbukh's shredded newsprint FD costume from the Olys
The Loverbukh's BLINDING chartreuse FD costumes from this past season
Klimkin's eville klown costume
Sokolova's Hunchback costume
Maxim Marinin's Cotton Club zoot suit with penguin spat boot covers
T/M's Grieg SP costume (there should be an ISU rule prohibiting plants from being a part of costumes)

.....what is it with Russian skaters and their love for asymetrical, gloved, shredded getups? I've often wondered if they design garish, unattractive costumes to divert attention away from the skating itself.

The Americans:

Sasha's majorette LP costume from this season (no wonder she wore boot covers - with white skates, all she would need are a couple of pom-poms on them to complete the look)

Sasha's Carmen Oly LP costume
Sarah's SP and LP costumes from Nats this past season

Michelle's repetitive tank-wth-short-skirt ensembles (but esp the turquoise with oatmeal on the front- thanks, Fetal!!) LP costume.

AP's overly sparkled Madame Butterfly costume
Tim's Terrible Tunics
Weiss' orange and black Metallica/Van Halen getup
Weiss's Village People Rolling Stone's vest and pants
Debi Thomas' body suit from 1988
Kristi's freaky bellhop outfit - looked like an escapee from Roly Poly Olie
Tara's ever-famous yodeling communion dress

Here, there, and everywhere:

B/K's green dinner mints OD costume this past season
B/K's FD costume from this past season (with that thing on her shoulder, I thought she was one of the Borg)

Liashenko's electric blue violin violation costume
Lambiels blue and orange (looked like an Auburn fan on psychedelics)
Pang & Tong's blah LP costume (she wore a neckerchief? WTF?)
Sandhu's Heidi on Acid costume
Oksana Baiul's electric poodle costume

Sorry for the long ramble.....

blurrysarah

On the Ice
I absolutely cannot stand that shredded mess look of the Russians either. Way too much crappy flesh fabric, which should only be used in tiny tiny amounts to retain modesty. Not covering your entire arms with what looks like baggy skin. Ugh.

Perfect example, Elena Sokolova (from jayadeff.com):

http://www.jayadeff.com/Worlds2003Sokolova2S.jpg

OT -- "BlurrySarah? OK, I've got to know what that name means. Is it Australian slang?:)

Mathman

blurrysarah

On the Ice
No no, not at all. I don't really know where it came from, I think it was an off the top of my head thing way back in '96. It also fits because I'm so lethargic and tired all the time :D

Germanice

On the Ice
I don't see anything wrong with Kulik's outfit here. As far as I remember he skated to a theme called "Bajazzo", and the costume matches exactly. Frankly, I got a whole lot more problems with his LP costume in Nagano; how he could skate in that infamous yellow-black-white "giraffe" suit to "Rhapsody in "Blue" is beyond me! However - still a great program! ;)

Agree with Yags' "Banana" outfit; but it got better after that ... :D
And Sandhu's "Heidi on Acid" - one, hate the costume, love the name!

Anke

Last edited:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
The absolute WORST costume in my opinion (aside from a variety of ice dance nightmares) was Tara's "Swiss Miss--Heidi" outfit for her short program from the 98 Olympic season. Ironically, a woman who won at Adult Nationals this year wore something similar, and it was just as unflattering on a woman over 30 as it was on Tara!! That "little girl dirndl" look belongs on no-one over the age of 8. Ironically, Tara used this dress instead of a beautiful pink one Jeff Billings designed for her as she and her Mom felt that dress was too "girlish." (What the heck was the "Heidi" dress--a study in maturity???!!!!) ;) I saw a photo of the pink dress and while it was youthful, it was gorgeous and much better than that shepherdess disaster.

I also wish youthful looking skaters such as Tara and Sasha would stop wearing anything with a corset or "stomacher" look--there is no reason to overemphasize what you don't have!! :p

Lucy25

Final Flight
Hmmm...I liked Tara's SP dress. There must be something wrong with me if everyone else dislikes it... It was the blue LP one that I thought was butt ugly.

I agree with everything else in this thread, though, even the comment about Michelle Kwan wearing sleeves. I love her dresses (ok, maybe not the blue LP one this year so much), but I would like to see some sleeves. They must bother her to not wear them.

IdleRacer, :laugh: :laugh: I hope you all understand the cosmic significance of this costume. Ilia is half-white/half-black. The other guy is an aristocrat, as you can tell because he is half-black/half-white. Thus Ilia is aligning himself with the downtrodden revolutionaries.

BlurrySarah, just call me DroopyLarry.:laugh:

Mathman

GoldenLady

On the Ice
When I think of worst-ever costumes, Oksana Baiul's ostrich-feather dress is the first one I thought of....

icenut84

Final Flight
Some of my least favourites:

Lobacheva & Averbukh's OD & FD costumes from 03 Worlds

Michelle Kwan's Aranjuez dress - ok, it's not as bad as L&A's, but I don't really like it! Love the oatmeal description, very accurate :laugh:

Yagudin's One Banana getup was just funny! lol

Tim Goebel - SP at 03 Worlds. Just didn't like it.

Sarah Hughes - 00 LP. The actual design wasn't that bad, but I didn't think it suited her.

I can't actually think of that many! Most of them are nice enough, or at least bearable.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Remember, this is supposed to be about your FAVORITES and their bad costumes, not just bad costumes in general....

I forgot Evgeni's exhibition from this year's Worlds. Yeah, it was supposed to hideous and humorous....but purple and yellow???:eek:

Laura :)

Lynn226

On the Ice
Okay, I'm officially confused. Which costume is the "Heidi on Acid" one that many have mentioned. I remember most of Emanuel's recent programs, but I just can't place it.

Thanks.

S

SkateFan4Life

Ilia Kulik's "skating cow" costume worn at the 1998 Winter Olympics has to rate right up there among the UGLIEST costumes worn by a top-ranked figure skater!

He skated to "Gershwin", if I recall this correctly. Frankly, he should have been skating to "Farmer in the Dell", with that getup.

Sorry, Ilia, I think you're a wonderful skater, but that costume --
YUK! :eek: