"Ugly" Skating Costumes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

"Ugly" Skating Costumes

mpal2

Final Flight
ANGELA: Pssst, hey nic...I think you better go change out of that get-up. Everybody in this forum is yaking it up about how much they hate Heidi costumes. [/B][/QUOTE]

PML :laugh: :laugh:

IDLERACER

Medalist
A big part of the reason that Elena Sokolova reminds me so much of Hayley Mills, probably has to do with the fact that she was wearing a Heidi outfit (which I assume, means anything with puffy, ruffly shoulders) the first time I ever saw her skate six years ago (below). As you can see, she looks like she either just popped out of that clock in front of the "Small World" ride, or perhaps, off the set of "Babes In Toyland." Russians seem to be fond of this sort of attire. I believe that Irina Slutskaya frequently donned threads like this throughout the 90s. Personally, I kind of like it. If this skating thing doesn't quite pan out for her, she could always get a job working behind the counter in a bakery in Solvang.

ph980203.jpg

Pookie

Final Flight
ANGELA: Pssst, hey nic...I think you better go change out of that get-up. Everybody in this forum is yaking it up about how much they hate Heidi costumes

:laugh:

Your pictures are always so great, Idleracer. :)

Ugly costumes: Just about anything Surya wore in her eligible days.

Last edited:

lulu

Final Flight
Here are a few offenders.

Gloves: I don't mind gloves as long as their not white(looks too much like something you will find on a mime) and their not too bulky.

Illusion fabric that doesn't match the skin tone of the skater.

Those rubber one piece outfits that Scott Hamilton used to wear.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Here is my list. Some Skaters I like, others I don't

The Russians seem to have cornered the market here:p

Alexei: Anything & Everything he wore in his Mishin days. Hence that Banna outfit. & the Matador black & Gold/ Good Lord. But his taste in costumes has improved 100% with TT:love:
Plushekno: That Solid GOld Costume in the SP in the GPF In 2002. For starters it is Bad Taste. 2nd. The design was even ugly along with the color. His Silver Costume in SLC ( sp). Another Bad choice. But, atleast the Pants were Black. Thats a plus:rolleyes: This past season. Both Long & Short were good costumes.
Illa K. The Aladden Costume, Oh MY God, The Black & White outfit, Any message he was trying to give to the audience was lost. The Costume is too distracting & looks like a clown outfit. & the very popular Yellow with Black Dot shirt with the White Vest. Just ugly.
Irnia: Again. Everything. She is a great tech Skater. But, I think her worst was that Blue Feather boa Dress from back in the Day. She says that she is Tomboy at heart. Well it shows in her costumes. I love her anyways.
Maria B: She designs them, so we all know who to blame. I did like one though. But, Can't rember it. So it couldn't have been that great:laugh:
All the Russian Dance Teams in Recent History: Just lump them all together.

Michelle: That Orange& Peekaboo dress form I think 97. Not sure of the Year. It was orange with the Peek a Boo see through spots. Reminds me of alot of the russian costumes. That was her Bad Choice for me.

All of Tara & All of Sasha: The dresses would look ok on others. But, their body types makes the dress look very bad on them. They are too small & Most of their dress had designs that drew attention to the Chest area( Where they were both major league lacking)

T. HOnda: That Mummy costume with the Toliet paper. Enough said about that one.

Fossi

Final Flight
I think all of Irina's costumes have been awful. Same for Plushenko. Tara's costumes were always goofy looking.
On the other hand, Sarah's have always been sophisticated and sharp. Sasha needs new designers. Michelle always looks nice, except her costumes are starting to look the same but just different colors.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Re: Here is my list. Some Skaters I like, others I don't

Panther2000 said:
The Russians seem to have cornered the market here:p

Illa K. The Aladden Costume, Oh MY God, The Black & White outfit, Any message he was trying to give to the audience was lost. The Costume is too distracting & looks like a clown outfit. & the very popular Yellow with Black Dot shirt with the White Vest. Just ugly.

Aladdin costume? Nothing black and white there:

http://www.kuliks-krew.com/photos/aladdin.shtml

If you are meaning this "Pagliacci" costume

http://www.kuliks-krew.com/photos/paglia.shtml

it is no wonder that it looks like a clown costume, as it is supposed to be one, ROTFL... "Pagliacci" is an opera, BTW.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
SkateFan4Life said:
Ilia Kulik's "skating cow" costume worn at the 1998 Winter Olympics has to rate right up there among the UGLIEST costumes worn by a top-ranked figure skater!

He skated to "Gershwin", if I recall this correctly. Frankly, he should have been skating to "Farmer in the Dell", with that getup.

Sorry, Ilia, I think you're a wonderful skater, but that costume --
YUK! :eek:

LOL, I don´t think that it was one of Ilia´s best costumes, but he though looks very handsome wearing it, LOL.

BTW, what is there to prevent the costume to be used for Geschwin´s "Rhapsody in Blue"?

Marjaana

P.S. I think this is one of the most awful costumes I have seen anyone wearing:

http://skating.nm.ru/Photos/0203/03IceShow/03ps-au03.jpg

Such a pity, as Urmanov as himself is a really great looking guy...

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
Jaana said:
LOL, I don´t think that it was one of Ilia´s best costumes, but he though looks very handsome wearing it, LOL.

BTW, what is there to prevent the costume to be used for Geschwin´s "Rhapsody in Blue"?

Marjaana

OMG, Urmy! Why you're always doing this to yourself!??? :eek:

As for Ilia's "Rhapsody in Blue" costume: Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I always thought it should've been something in ... you've guessed it! ... BLUE, well, at least! :D ;)

Anke

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Anke, "Rhapsody in Blue" is not about the colour "blue"...

Marjaana

Germanice

On the Ice
I see, "blue" also means "sad", of course, didn't consider the double meaning of the word. But then, now the costume didn't fit even more. Maybe a simple outfit in a dark colour, which would've suited beautifully to his blond (genuine! natural!) hair :love:, would have done it. However - it was great program and the costume didn't seem to bother the judges too much! ;)

Anke

Last edited:

Eeyora

Final Flight
Maria Butyrskaya: that horrible red and gray tango costume.

Nancy Kerrigan: Her yellow costumes

Michelle: Her peach East of Eden costume. It was disgusting. I also thought the gold dress she wore for "This Time around" was also unflattering to her figure

Sasha: Her Olympic Carmen Costume.

Surya: Her multi colored costumes.

Yuka: Her peach multi colored "Prelude to the afternoon of the faun"

Lu Lu: her shiney gold dress with the black feathers for the 1992 Worlds short program.

Sarah: Her maroon Long program dess from this past year

Denise Bielmanns: Unitards

Sale and Pellitier: Love story.

Nicole Bobek: Her parrot costume for "Colors of The Wind"

Tonya Harding: So many Her white costume with the gold snowflakes, Her red number for her 1994 short program as well as her maroon dress.

Elvis: The biker costumes

:eek:

Lisa

On the Ice
Jaana said:
Anke, "Rhapsody in Blue" is not about the colour "blue"...

Marjaana

Whereas the rhapsody itself is about the American way of life (and the idea came to G. Gershwin while he was sitting in a train, listening to the rythm of the rails), the title has got several meanings which has been fully intended by both Ira Gershwin (who suggested it) and his brother George, from "blue notes" to the coulour blue. Lots of artists (musiciens and painters, for instance) saw a close relationship between music and coulours.

The colour a skater chooses for a program based upon "Rhapsody in Blue" is a visible sign of his/her interpretation, here more than anywhere else.

Whatever Kulik and TT wanted to say with their costume - I still consider it as being one of the strangest outfits I ever saw. And it definitely does remind me of a zoo .... :D

Lanie

On the Ice
I like Sasha a lot. But, girl, don't show what you don't have (although I can kind of relate, haha!)! The Rach LP dress is plain ugly.

And Plushy's costumes, much as I adore him, are frequently ugly. St. Petersburg 300 was a very nice costume. Carmen too. Adagio was okay...I didn't get the part where it looked like part of it went through a lawnmower, though.

Ilya's Rhapsody in Blue was...er. Interesting. :)

windspirit

On the Ice
Lanie said:
And Plushy's costumes, much as I adore him, are frequently ugly. St. Petersburg 300 was a very nice costume. Carmen too. Adagio was okay...I didn't get the part where it looked like part of it went through a lawnmower, though.
His girlfriend to blame? ;)

Btw, I love that costume. I think he looked great in it. :love:

missflick

On the Ice
That is Urmanov?

Jaana said:

Marjaana

Oh, my GAWD...I wouldn't have recognized him. Ewwww...
You aren't pulling my leg, are you? (Wondering where the hair went...):laugh: