"Ugly" Skating Costumes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

"Ugly" Skating Costumes

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I do remember someone saying that Ilia's costume was to represent a giraffe lost in New York looking for his lover or something to that effect but I can't understand why they ever thought of that. I got past it because I love his skating so much and he is such a cutie.

mpal2

Final Flight
:laugh:

Rudy's costume was probably just as tongue-in-cheek as the program. As wild as his costumes get, I must admit they fit his programs.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The costumes B&B (Russian Ice Dance Champions) wore at the 1988 Olympics in Calgary! Horrible. Program was awful as well.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
LOL, I don´t think that it was one of Ilia´s best costumes, but he though looks very handsome wearing it, LOL.
Mais, oui. But he'd look very handsome in a grain sack.

[BTW, what is there to prevent the costume to be used for Geschwin´s "Rhapsody in Blue"?
Unfortunately, nothing :)

Such a pity, as Urmanov as himself is a really great looking guy...
Does he not have the most beautiful face?

Germanice

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
The costumes B&B (Russian Ice Dance Champions) wore at the 1988 Olympics in Calgary! Horrible. Program was awful as well.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=26805#post26805
lulu: This isn't meant to be a bash thread. But what do you think are some of the most overrated skaters, programs and
comps in skating?

Then what would you call it?

I think every skater deserves our respect and no matter what the outcome - remember they all worked extremely hard on the material they were given. It takes a lot of hard work and integrity on the part of a skater to make it to the top. Even the "simplest" program is not necessarily the easiest to perform - that's where the skaters skills come in - making it look easy. Sometimes the understated is also the most complicated.

Show some respect for the skaters, please!

Ladskater

Anke ;) ;) :)

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
LOL, Anke...

One of our Finnish commentators said about Buttle´s (short programme?) costume: "How can anyone come to a competition like Worlds in a costume like that?"

I understood that she meant that it was too modest looking and did not do anything for the programme either.

Marjaana

S

SkateFan4Life

I can't stand to see guys dressed in ratty jeans and t-shirts for competitive programs - that looks absolutely trashy, IMHO.

I did not like the bright yellow dress Nancy Kerrigan wore at for her 1992 Olympic short program. It was the wrong color for Nancy's complexion - made her look as though she was sick and sallow. Nancy has worn some some beautiful dresses, but that certainly wasn't one of them, IMHO.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Idle, you are too funny.........:laugh:

Am I the only one who liked A.P.'s butterfly dress?

Paul Wylie's checked lumberjack shirt from "On the Waterfront". It billowed up around his neck when he skated and jumped....42

S

SkateFan4Life

Tonya Harding's dress worn for the 1994 short program - UGH! It was so tight, no wonder she popped the neck strap. One of the newspaper articles accurately described that horrendous outfit - "It's a dress that Ms. Harding outgrew about 15 pounds ago." She practically bulged out of it.

S

SkateFan4Life

Any costume that is poorly fitted simply does not look attractive. It's awful to see skaters wear costumes that are clearly too tight, too loose, or for whatever reason, are simply not the right size.

I can think of a few skaters (who shall remain unnamed) who have competed in costumes that were at least two sizes too small for them, or were two sizes too large for them.

The effect was anything was positive.