Ladies Footwork | Golden Skate

Ladies Footwork

B

BronzeisGolden02

Ladies Footwork

Generally, I don't take great exception to footwork but there just seems to have been a real explosion of interesting footwork this season. Especially the straight line sequences of Michelle and Sasha in both their short and long programs. Who has the best footwork of the ladies this season?

B

BronzeisGolden02

Michelle

After watching all of the Grand Prix events I was most impressed with Sasha's footwork sequences. They are quite difficult and executed with a lot of speed. I was also impressed with Michelle's footwork in her technical program at Skate America, but didn't get the same feeling from the footwork in "Aranjuez". Michelle really must have worked on both of the sequences a great amount from October until the January Nationals because they both were incredible, most notably in the long program. She moved through it with incredible flow and spark, completely eclipsing any doubt I had about it at Skate America. I would now say she has the footwork to beat. Sasha's is wonderful, but compared to Michelle's it seems too choppy. She tears through it with wild speed which is commendable difficulty wise, but I'd enjoy it more if there was a higher level of convincing emotion. Maybe she should actually slow it down a bit, LOL!

M

MoonliteSonata

Re: Michelle

IMHO, Sasha's footwork stops way too much. Does stopping make it difficult? I think it just destroys the flow of the program somewhat. Michelles is definately better this year, best overall. Fumie's footwork has flow and speed...she's the only one who does circular footwork well. I liked Irina's one foot footwork better than hers this year.

M

mmandel

Even though I'm A Michelle fan, Sasha's footwork is quick & crisp and goes into both directions.

L

Lcp88

I think Sasha's had that Morozov effect, which inculdes a lot of stopping and starting with the toepicks. It would work well if she could just do it right, as in without falling:D
Laura

D

DORISPULASKI

Last year, I would have given this to Irina. Love her one foot footwork. But this year, post Nationals, it is Michelle. Who says that you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

S

sk8ing lady2001

Michelle's footwork in her SP is just <strong>marvelous</strong>. :D

J

Jules Asner

I voted for Michelle - she does hers with such ease you barely notice she's doing it. Sasha's is great but it looks like its still a challenge to her and she seems to have to concentrate more while MK flows through it much easier.

C

CuteGreekGoddess

Re: Sasha

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:x-small;"><strong>Sasha's footwork is the best. Sasha had it first and Michelle's IMO looks like a cheap carbon copy of Sasha's</strong></span>

E

eltamina

Sasha had it first? really Mk was doing footwork before Sasha. MK's footwork has both edge and toe pick work, Sasha's is mainly toe pick. Sasha's footwork is not quite up to MK's calibre.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

CGG, how could it be a cheap carbon copy if it's technically better?

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:navy;font-family:georgia;font-size:small;">No one talked about Michelle's footwork before Sasha started doing hers. That's because Michelle didn't have an obvious footwork sequence--one of those "I am now doing footwork" segments. Sasha's is more complex but I like Michelle's as well.</span>

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

actually many skating fans have talked about MK's footwook sequences before this season.

I remember ppl talking about MK's DOD footwork as being one of the most complex and fast circular fw sequences. Then there was The Red Violin where ppl were amazed at the FW, then at 2002 Nats where MK surprised everyone with the speed and depthness of her FW in Schez.

I think the only reason why ppl were talking about Sasha's fw before MK's was b/c nobody saw Michelle's SA SP until months after on the internet. Even before we saw it, many judges and ppl who were there were raving about "TFB" fw. Her LP "Aranjuez" wasn't close to being finished and she was obviously still working on the program, so her FW wasn't spectacular there.

I'm not bashing Sasha b/c her FW is good. I don't think it's that complex b/c although she does do more moves than MK, her *extra* moves are basically the same toe pick moves just repeated many times after some stops. MK seems to be doing different sort of turns and kicks and toe while doing hers w/o repeating as much and without stops.

M

magentataupe

Sasha. It was a hard choice between Sasha and Michelle.

P

Pookie

I would say Michelle. Sasha's looks a tad bit overdone. Michelle's is more understated but just as dramatic, in my opinion. Sasha's also looks like they rehashed some of Alexei's footwork for her.

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

I voted other a long time ago... but I can't remember whom I had chosen

while I don't really like Michelle's programs... I have to say her footwork GREATLY impoved this year... it flowed more than Sasha's

I didn't like the way they put her arms flailing about though... it looked like she was trying to take flight

Sasha's is too choppy... ladies need to flow not play Alexei Yagudin in a dress.

B

buttlebaba

I think that Fumie has the nicest footwork because it is on beautiful flowing edges and none of that stopping and starting and running on your toepicks

S

SHINE2002

I'm surprised that you didn't put Fumie's name there. She is doing the most difficult footwork in hes LP among all the elite ladies today, and doing them with crazy speed! IMO Michelle's and Sasha's footwork are way overrated, and I'm saying this as a Kwaniac. Fumie just flies across the ice in her footwork.

M

mikisk8

Re: Other Skater

Fumie showed wonderful difficult footwork to the end of the program that was continuing speedy from 2A.
It looks so much better!

L

Lucy25

Re: Other Skater

Michelle's was just so smooth this year. I love how she didn't stop at all, pose, and do lots of toe pics. She had great edging and her upper body movements fit very well. I was very impressed with the improvement in just one season. I am hoping she builds on this next year and adds turns in both directions. A bit of one foot footwork would be cool, too.