A possible solution to underrotations? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

A possible solution to underrotations?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Sorry but the point of the clips in the youtube video are about UNDER rotation on the landing not pre-rotation on the take off. Kim has perfect text book technique on the take off of the toe loop - there is no pre-rotation on the toe pick on take off and the leg comes through exactly as it should.

Ant

Bethieisawesome was responding to my statement since someone said there is no allowable pre-rotatation on the toe loop or else it's a toe Axel and I explained the difference in take off methods and what is allowable. She showed what an acceptable "pre-rotation" on the toe loop is with the video. I was responding to mathman's comment and it's about six posts back...

gourry

Final Flight
Thanks for the clip. I really can't say the toeloop was underrotated according to the 45% rule. I really have to rely on the judges' decisions.

Indeed.

OT but I'm really sorry that there are some youtube users trying to besmirch Yuna's reputation. If they want to talk about under-rotation, fine. But dragging Yuna into that? Seriously?
Come on. There are so many obvious example of under-rotation out there (but I won't name any because I don't want to hurt their fans' feelings.)
I even saw someone posted Yuna's taking off moment as if it's her landing moment and ironically it proves she doesn't do either pre-rotation nor under-rotation.:cool:
Why do they do that?? They want to get even because the one they are rooting for has some technical flaws or what?? So juvenile.

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight
I think I was a bit emotional on my post above. I was just a bit annoyed by some youtube users nowadays. Sorry.:p

I honestly doubt if the sensor on boots is applicable but I like the idea.
I read all posts on this thread and suddenly came to wonder what if a skater attempted a triple jump with terrible under-rotation and landed with severe over-rotation after around 2 and a half airturns. How is it going to be marked? Is it going to be dinged both for under-rotation and over-rotation? Or is it going to be ratified as a triple jump?

Last edited:
I think I was a bit emotional on my post above. I was just a bit annoyed by some youtube users nowadays. Sorry.:p

I honestly doubt if the sensor on boots is applicable but I like the idea.
I read all posts on this thread and suddenly came to wonder what if a skater attempted a triple jump with terrible under-rotation and landed with severe over-rotation after around 2 and a half airturns. How is it going to be marked? Is it going to be dinged both for under-rotation and over-rotation? Or is it going to be ratified as a triple jump?
Watch Lambiel and his notorious 3A next season. He often overrotates it causing him to land on his heel. Landing on the heel will cause a skater to fall back.

It appears inthe judges protocols as, for instance, 3T<. The "<" means that, for scoring purposes, it has been downgraded to double. So it gets the same base score as a 2T. But it counts as a 3T for purposes of applying the Zayak rule.

As far as I know there is not a specific deduction for overrotation, but -- as Joe points out with respect to the triple Axel -- if a jump is overrotated there will automatically be problems on the landing which will result in a negative GOE on top of the downgrade.