Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skate Minto

Rinkside

Skate Minto

Does anyone have results for Skate Minto? Particularly Sr. women and jr. men and women.

Tripping on the Podium
    Sr. Ladies long- Dana ZT (supposedly landed triple flip) won
    Jr. Ladies long- Alexandrine Chong won flight 1 (55 points long program), Rebecca Addison won flight 2 (57 long program).
    That's all the information I have. I was not there, so take it for what it's worth.

On the Ice
    Does Dana have a JGP assignment? Did she score over 120 at this competition.

Custom Title
    Dana does not have an assignment to or is even listed as a substitute for the first 2 JGP events.

She won the 2007 Junior Ladies nationals and yet was ignored completely for JGP assignments last season. She at least managed to qualify for senior nationals in 2008 while others that got JGP's competing senior nationally ( Belair ) didn't.

I have my doubts based on her previous shafting about whether she'll get an assignment but the triple flip ( no matter what her score is ) is sure to raise Skate Canada's eyebrows. SC is wowed by girls who can land something other than triple toe/ salchow no matter how inconsistent those harder jumps are.

I would love her to get an assignment though. She is still young and is a much more sensible pick than Devon Neuls. Neuls is in her last year that she can compete junior and is listed as a substitute for the first 2 events strongly suggesting she'll receive a later assignment. There is no evidence that Neuls in her last year will gather enough ISU ranking points so that she can transition to the senior GP. Better to give those assignments to young ones who can use the experience to transition to the senior GP later on.

Custom Title
    What's even more stupid is that Dana Z-T beat Neuls at Canadian Nationals, and that was Dana's first try at the Senior level after winning the 2007 Junior Championship. Meanwhile, Neuls dropped from 12th in 2007 to 16th in 2008.

BTW, Neuls is 159th (out of 173) on the ISU World Rankings list. She has no chance whatsoever of qualifying for the GP via that list. Her last score in a JGP event (Mexico 2006 - 89.52) would have placed her 139th on the 2007-2008 SB list. Her score from 2008 Canadian Nationals would have placed her 101st on the 2007-2008 SB list.

So I agree that it is a TOTAL waste to send Neuls to the JGP when there are other more promising skaters who are actually interested in self-improvement (Dana has been competing in numerous summer events).
    Last edited by chuckm; 08-05-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Custom Title
    A agree with you......................however, SC MUST have a reason? I wonder what it is? Any guesses? Maybe they have seen her outside competitions? To give her one last chance? Convincing coaches?

Custom Title
    The only thing I can think of is that Neuls was the 2006 Junior bronze medalist. Why that should rank her above 2007 Junior Champion Dana Z-T is a puzzlement.

On the Ice
    Based upon her results at Minto and past Nationals results, I would assume that she will probably be assigned to the JGP in Mexico or Czech Republic.

Does Skate Canada hold it against her that she does not train in Canada nor does she have Canadian coaches?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shopgirl543 View Post
    Does Skate Canada hold it against her that she does not train in Canada nor does she have Canadian coaches?
    Virtue/Moir do not train in Canada and they don't have Canadian coaches, and it hasn't hurt them a bit.

But as stupid as it seems, that may be the answer as to why Dana Z-T gets short shrift. If so, then Skate Canada is cutting off its nose to spite its face.

It's not as if Canada is so overflowing with remarkably talented young women that they can afford to discriminate based on rink politics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post

So I agree that it is a TOTAL waste to send Neuls to the JGP when there are other more promising skaters who are actually interested in self-improvement (Dana has been competing in numerous summer events).
    Although I think that sending Neuls is a waste I would never say that Devon is not interested in self-improvement. Devon is due to compete in senior ladies at the BC summer skate. I have noticed though that Mcleod's students ( and Devon is one) don't tend to do any summer events outside the BC summer skate. That does sound like a Mcleod tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by shopgirl543 View Post
    Based upon her results at Minto and past Nationals results, I would assume that she will probably be assigned to the JGP in Mexico or Czech Republic.

That could be a BIG problem. It drove the Duschenay's out of Canada in the past. In Canada they were marked down behind clearly inferior couples because of having the "wrong " coach.

Devon's coach , Joanne Mcleod definitely has a lot of political pull in Skate Canada circles. The BC sectional office is located at her rink and the head honcho of the BC section acts as a caller at sectional events. Guess whose skaters will get the benefit of the doubt on calls.

After the 2007 junior ladies championships the top 10 ladies at nationals were ignored JGP for Kang ( who finished 11th at 2007 juniors which was worse than her 4th place in juniors in 2006). Now Kang's bad performance in 2007 ( specifically her popped filled FS) was not a one-off bad performance. At the Western Challenge that year( which Kang competed in) , not one triple jump was landed by any of the ladies in both the SP and FS.

Kang is also coached by Mcleod. She has had 4 JGP assignments and never did well in any them. This year is her last year ( if she gets any assignments) as well.

So both Kang and Neuls ( see chuckm's post) went backwards in their national results ( without any real great results anywhere else ) and they get rewarded.

Custom Title
    Based on the Skate Canada's assignments , "standards" and list of substitutes for the first 2 JGP events , I expect these skaters will get an assignment ( among those who aren't competing in the first 2 assignments)

competed senior last nationals:

Kang
    Tisluk( met the Canadian standard at challenge)
    Neuls ( has been listed as substitute twice also in last year)

competed junior last nationals

McNeil ( met the Canadian standard - current junior champion)

competed novice last nationals:

Najarro , Briggs ( top 2 at novice and the development camp was well talked about on Skate Canada's site so there is buzz around them)

I expect that Dana might get an assignment if the first batch of skaters don't do well enough in the first assignment to warrant a second.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    Although I think that sending Neuls is a waste I would never say that Devon is not interested in self-improvement. Devon is due to compete in senior ladies at the BC summer skate. I have noticed though that Mcleod's students ( and Devon is one) don't tend to do any summer events outside the BC summer skate. That does sound like a Mcleod tactic.

Skaters who are selected for JGP assignments MUST participate in a summer competition. As you noted, Neuls does BC Summer Skate only, so that is the bare minimum. And the reason for that might very well be that she (and other BC skaters) fear getting marked lower outside home territory.

Other skaters who would like to get assignments such as Dana Z-T and McKenzie Crawford have signed up for multiple competitions, some in the US.

Rinkside
    Does anyone have jr. mens results?

Rinkside

The weekend

Minto has a note on their site that the results will be up by the weekend.

http://www.mintoskatingclub.com/

the results are up...

http://www.mintoskatingclub.com/even...2008/index.htm

Dana Zhalko-Tytarenko seems pretty good landing 3T, 3S, 3F.
    Lacoste landed 3L-3L+C in her short program.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast