Championnats québécois d'été- Quebec Summer Competitions | Golden Skate

Championnats québécois d'été- Quebec Summer Competitions

Kypma

Final Flight
Miserably Poor Attempt at a "Review"

Hi everyone,

I attended the Quebec Sumemr Provincials yesterday, and got to see a few events. Given that I'm not super knowldgeable, I can't give many details, but here goes something, (hopefully) better than nothing. I'll only mention those I can actually comment on.

Pierrefonds Home Club skater Elladj Baldé (2008 Canadian Junior Men's champion, 21st at 2008 Jr. Worlds) skated an awesome senior short program, and got the only standing ovation I witnessed that day. His joy was evident as he finished his program. I think his jumps were 3F-3T, 3A and 3Lz, not sure about that last one, but they were all very nice and solid. He placed first with a little over 65 points, I think.
Shawn Sawyer was second, I think about a point behind, and he also recived a warm welcome. His landings were shaky, but otherwise he got the jumps done.

Joannie Rochette's short program wasn't her best; the 2A was gorgeous and opened the program well, however, she singled the flip (thus losing her combination) and I'm not sure whether the Lutz was double or triple, but I think it was a double. I didn't recognise the Summertime music, but the program looks god except for the jumps. She placed first by a fraction of a point.

Jessica Dubé and Bryce Davison withdrew from the short program, though it wasn't officially announced. They were on the skating order until very shortly before their event (I was posting, so I'd have known if it was any earlier in the day), and they were there for the autograph session. Quite a few people were wondering what was going on when the Moskovitches(sp?) skated first when they were planned for second, and after the two pairs (It was supposed to be 2 pairs in the first warm up then in the second) there was a dance warmup. Jessica also withdrew from the Ladies's short, and Amanda Velenosi and Mark Fernandez withdrew from the pairs' short (I can't remember the third team, sorry)
Kyra and Dylan had an okay program, but something went wrong with the star lift and she nearly fell over; luckily he held her and got her down safely. They're veyr close in height, and he catches her on the twist very close to the ice. On the plus side, their lift did go well during the warmup.

The ice dance event (senior free dance) featured several tango's (including the Tango de Roxanne), one Edith Piaf medley, Charles Aznavour's La Bohème, Debussy's Clair de Lune, a corpse-bride kind of program, and Hymne à l'amour.
I also saw Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon in the audience, and got their autograph and a picture with them. They're a very sweet couple :)

That's al I can remember for now, I can't go there today, so if anyone else has info, it would be much appreciated!!

Kypma

ETA: Jamie Forsythe (used to be a men's singles competitor at the national level) competed in ice dance with his new partner, Sarah Flesher. They didn't look too bad for his first (?) competition as a dancer, but he needs to work on the mohawk footwork in the lifts -- he appeared to struggle at little, especially in the last rotational lift. Other than that, the program looked quite good, but sometimes I didn't get the dance-like feeling I normally get while watching dancers. It was quite late though, so maybe I was just getting sleepy.

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
I love it! I think you can already see the effect of Marie-France and Patrice.

I wonder if they skated it as an exhibition, with the judges marking it to give them feedback?

I see they have added a triple twist.

Kypma

Final Flight
That's odd. Some skaters skated the SP only and still had their scores... really weird, because the judges were there, not only the evaluators, so I'm guessing thy were judging, or they wouldn't have been sitting there.
I noticed Joannie also withdrew, but for her it was from the free. Maybe her SP the day before made her think she wasn't ready?
geoskate, wouldn't it be the influence of Jamie and David, not Marie-France and Patrice? I didn't know Jessica and Bryce were working with the ice dancers...

Kypma

ETA: They're not using the usual cuts of Carmen, which is quite nice.

Last edited:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
I sincerely hope Lacoste and Grenier will get an assignment this season.

Grenier already has a JGP assignment in Merano. Fully deserves this assignment.

Lacoste is too old for JGP but there is a chance she could get Nebelhorn. Samson already has Nebelhorn. However it is possible that Canada can send 2 ladies to Nebelhorn and Canada has not named its dance teams yet.

I wonder if SC regrets naming Samson to the SC spot right away and not having a skateoff at Nebelhorn for the third SC spot the way SC has done in all other disciplines. Samson fared poorly in Quebec with no successfully landed triples

Lacoste has had lots of problems with injuries in past years but she did make the national team in 2006. Her Minto and Quebec results suggest she is fully back.

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
geoskate, wouldn't it be the influence of Jamie and David, not Marie-France and Patrice? I didn't know Jessica and Bryce were working with the ice dancers...

On FSU, two posters have said that their long program is choreographed by Dubreuil/Lauzon. The first poster is from Quebec, so I'd trust his information, since I believe Marie-France and Patrice are now living in Quebec.

I have no other confirmation of all this from any official source.

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
On FSU, two posters have said that their long program is choreographed by Dubreuil/Lauzon. The first poster is from Quebec, so I'd trust his information, since I believe Marie-France and Patrice are now living in Quebec.

I have no other confirmation of all this from any official source.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080326&content_id=46585&vkey=ice_news
For their 2008-09 long program, they will work with both choreographer David Wilson and former Canadian ice dance champions Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon. "We're so excited," Davison said. "They will bring so much to our skating." The pair hopes to work with Lori Nichol for the short program.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lacoste is too old for JGP but there is a chance she could get Nebelhorn. Samson already has Nebelhorn. However it is possible that Canada can send 2 ladies to Nebelhorn and Canada has not named its dance teams yet.

I wonder if SC regrets naming Samson to the SC spot right away and not having a skateoff at Nebelhorn for the third SC spot the way SC has done in all other disciplines. Samson fared poorly in Quebec with no successfully landed triples

Lacoste has had lots of problems with injuries in past years but she did make the national team in 2006. Her Minto and Quebec results suggest she is fully back.

I so agree about Samson. She's keeping her SP from last season, so there was no excuse for her not performing it well. She got -1.75 GOE on her lutz combo, and she underrotated and fell on the 3F. Her FS was an unmitigated disaster--she doubled, underrotated or fell on every triple.

OTOH, Lacoste skated two decent programs in Quebec and would have been a far better choice for Skate Canada than Samson. Samson's total score from the Quebec championships would have placed her no higher than 10th in last year's GP, and in most events (including Skate Canada) she would have been dead last.