Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The gymnastics thread

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeIce View Post
    Not at all. Nastia's version is so much better than the one Sasha used that I don't even think of it as being the same music!
    Ähm, didn't Liukin tell in an interview that (oops, found it: NBC article, look at question number 6) Sasha's short was her inspiration?

About Oksana Chusovitina, I find it kind of embarrassing that the only medals we get, in Gymnastics and Figure Skating, are won by skaters who we "bought" from other countries (I mean, Savchenko too!). Ah well...
    Last edited by Medusa; 08-18-2008 at 06:42 AM.

Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    I agree with those who say Nastia Lukin should have won, her routine was impressive! But the Romanian girl was also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    About Oksana Chusovitina, I find it kind of embarrassing that the only medals we get, in Gymnastics and Figure Skating, are won by skaters who we "bought" from other countries (I mean, Savchenko too!). Ah well...
    Hihi, I thought about that, too... But hey, we still have Fabian Hambüchen!

Anna Pavlova scored a 0 on the vault because she thought she had the green light and didn't. Yikes.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Proof that gymnastics now has even dumber scoring than skating:

This has a spoiler in it.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...y/?eref=sircrc

The procedure for tie breaking is absolutely crazy nuts-one of the tie breakers is averaging the 3 lowest judges, which overvalues the very lowest judge, allowing a great opening for corruption (not that this happened here. This is just a really dumb tie breaker. You shouldn't want to overvalue either the highest or the lowest score in a tie breaker, I would think.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Ähm, didn't Liukin tell in an interview that (oops, found it: NBC article, look at question number 6) Sasha's short was her inspiration?

Ah, yes, but you dominate so completely in, e.g., equestrian sports that you have nothing to be sorry about!

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Proof that gymnastics now has even dumber scoring than skating:
    Not so sure Doris, Figure Skating gives out wrist slaps for the most part but Gymnastics really hits hard.

The worst sport for breaking a tie is Soccer (Fusbol or whatever you want to all it).

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The worst sport for breaking a tie is Soccer (Fusbol or whatever you want to all it).
    It's called football - I think most people love the penalty shoot out (or at least most people in Germany, the English tend to screw it up every time ) - it's so exciting.

I think that both gymnastics and figure skating shouldn't try to break these ties. It wouldn't hurt anyone to award two golds (or two national titles).

Oops, I had Un Jong Hong 3rd on highest average vault score prior to the event final (ahead of Alicia and Oksana), but then forgot about it. With Shawn Johnson not competiting and Fei Cheng's fall, the gold went to Hong almost by default. The vaulting was not as good as one would expect for a final. Hong had steps on both of her landings. I think that if Johnson had competed, she would have won the gold medal. :banging:

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    The procedure for tie breaking is absolutely crazy nuts-one of the tie breakers is averaging the 3 lowest judges, which overvalues the very lowest judge, allowing a great opening for corruption (not that this happened here. This is just a really dumb tie breaker. You shouldn't want to overvalue either the highest or the lowest score in a tie breaker, I would think.
    Well, I guess what it means is that if you are an individual judge and you want to tip the scales to your favorite, it is better to dump on the other girl than to inflate your girl's score.

Maybe there is actually a tiny bit of reason to this. You know who you want to help, but you might not know who you have to hold down.

About Oksana Chusovitina, I find it kind of embarrassing that the only medals we get, in Gymnastics and Figure Skating, are won by skaters who we "bought" from other countries (I mean, Savchenko too!).
    Why don't you look at it another way. Germany "bought" Chusovitina by saving her son's life. Would you rather your country spend resources on training gymnasts who can win medals, or on doctors who can save lives?

A few days ago, NPR ran a story where Indians were talking about what an embarrassment it is to have such a poor athletic performance in comparison to China next door. I couldn't help feeling that the results to correlate inversely with things such as democracy and the quality of living...

Rinkside
    Does anyone know where I can find a list of the floor exercise music for each Olympic competitor?

Yeah, I KNOW that Sasha's music was Nastia's inspiration, but it is an entirely different arrangement. I don't know who performed Nastia's music or Sasha's, but I like the version that Nastia uses a lot better. Yes, it is still "Dark Eyes" but hers is more pleasant to listen to than Sasha's IMHO.

Here is Sasha's, by the London Festival Orchestra:

http://www.amazon.com/Russia/dp/B0000042F4

This is Nastia's (arranged and performed by the brilliant young pianist Ilan Rechman, with violinist Lara St. John.)

http://www.amazon.com/Gypsy/dp/B000003Y37

I agree this is a splendid arrangement.

There were Men in Gymnastics, too!

I particularly like the French guy with his innovated moves and giving them all that strength on the watchamacallit ropes.

The Chinese were good but nothing innovative. All the tricks you've seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by n*ice mom View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find a list of the floor exercise music for each Olympic competitor?
    Try You Tube. Often someone in the "Comments" will know the musician or arrangement.

I really like Jiang Yuyuan's Floor music.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast