Sashas Edges | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Sashas Edges

lavender

Record Breaker
shine said:
:laugh: Are we getting a bit desparate here?

I was thinking the same thing. That's hilarious. There's hardly anyone in the world that would say Sasha has better edges Michelle. Maybe a lot of other things but edges are pretty much last on the list. Sasha's edges are good enough but don't really come close to Michelle. Michelle has some of the best, secure edges in the business.

registered

On the Ice
rtureck said:
Mathman, Sasha does not need your help at all. She has an unber fan here who turns every discussion that fails to elevate Sasha's edges and skating at goddess level with "Sasha, Sasha. Sasha, she is just better than any skater out there." "Sasha is better than the Olympic gold medalists- Sarah, and Tara" "Sasha is better than Michelle- the 5 times world champion 3 times world silver medalist" "Sasha just has a tiny problem with consistency"

Not too many people here dare to disagree with Mr. uber fan by now, who wants to be accused of 'bashing" or worse, "have your head examine"

So I think Mr. Sasha uber fan got it covered. Next time you stay up at 3:38 AM, maybe you can spend the time thinking of the next model of this universe or the black hole or whatever..

This thread is titled "Sasha's edges," Tureck. So at least I'm staying on topic.
:rolleye:

By the way, speaking of rules, are double posts allowed on this Board? On most they aren't, and it seems you're breaking the rules here, Tureck.

We do have an exclusive Michelle gushing thread on this Board, where about dozen or so posters converse with each other in complete agreement, while phrases "Kwan haters," "Michelle detractors," and similar, are frequently used. I noticed, consistency is not one of your strength, Tureck (maybe you have something in common with Sasha, LOL), but I'd urge you to channal your attention to a controversial "bash" word on that particular thread, if you're so sensitive with the use of language.

Well, I think that we are all in agreement now: Michelle's edges are better than Tara's. Tara's are better than Carolina's. Carolina's are better than Sasha's. And Sasha's are better than Michelle's.

Registered, now that I think about it, I don't think that there is any specific rule about double posting, if by that you mean following your own post with another. But there is no reason to do it, because a person can always edit his/her post to add something more.

What I am sometimes tempted to do when I get into an online argument is wait until the other guy has answered, then go back and change my post to make him/her look crazy. (I hope this doesn't give anyone any ideas! :laugh: )

About a Michelle gushing thread, if you mean this one

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2308

I think it's harmless. You can start Good Luck Sasha threads in the event folders if you like. I will make sure that Good Luck threads stay that way. (Although last year we had a "Good Luck Anyone But Michelle" thread that we had a lot of fun -- as well as some hard feelings -- with.)

Don't let the meanies get you down. As Joe says, when people criticize Sasha take that as a compliment to her -- it means she is the one to beat. The two most popular skaters on this board, in terms of numbers of fans, I am quite sure are Michelle and Alexei Y., with Sasha a strong third, along with Evgeny P. Every skater has plenty of fans on theis board -- and most GS members are fans of many skaters.

Reminder to all: GS does not tolerate bashing of skaters. This includes name-calling and unkind remarks about a person's character, physical appearance, etc., as well as excessive and repetitive criticism. GS also does not tolerate personal attacks on other posters.

Reminder #2: Don't forget the chat at 7:00 EST tonight!

Mathman

registered

On the Ice
Mathman said:

About a Michelle gushing thread, if you mean this one

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2308

I think it's harmless. You can start Good Luck Sasha threads in the event folders if you like. I will make sure that Good Luck threads stay that way. (Although last year we had a "Good Luck Anyone But Michelle" thread that we had a lot of fun -- as well as some hard feelings -- with.)

Don't let the meanies get you down. As Joe says, when people criticize Sasha take that as a compliment to her -- it means she is the one to beat. The two most popular skaters on this board, in terms of numbers of fans, I am quite sure are Michelle and Alexei Y., with Sasha a strong third, along with Evgeny P. Every skater has plenty of fans on theis board -- and most GS members are fans of many skaters.

Mathman

Mathman, the above mentioned Michelle's thread is harmless, and so are my posts (about Sasha, or anything else). My response was addressed rather not to a "meany," but to other fair minded posters, who'd I wanted to see that I don't use any different words to "defend" my favorite skater, than others use to "defend" theirs.

Mathman said:
Well, I think that we are all in agreement now: Michelle's edges are better than Tara's. Tara's are better than Carolina's. Carolina's are better than Sasha's. And Sasha's are better than Michelle's. Mathman

Now let's all praise the Lord.;)

Joe

rtureck

Final Flight
Registered I am not aware of any Michelle gush threads here, and even if there is one, I have no intention to particpate so...........

Please don't tell me some Sasha fans are claiming exclusive posting right to this thread.

Defending favorites: some Sasha fan attacks other posters with "head being examined" just because others don't agree with him/her. Attacking others just for a difference of opinion is not defending favorites.

About some Sasha fans who think of themselves as "harmless", and "fair minded".... nevermind, otherwise Mathman will make me surf all over the net for Mao pictures.

Flexibility: Gotta to love CUTIE Mao, who has the best flexibility in the world with edges to boot

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/acp/soramame/favorites/jn02/asada_3.jpg

Last edited:

boggartlaura

On the Ice
registered said:
Well, but Sasha has better edges, than Michelle. She does need to improve consistency of her routines, that are more difficult, than MK's.
I love Sasha, but Michelle's edges are as good as it gets in ladies skating today. Sasha's aren't yet, but hopefully they will be.

windspirit

On the Ice
I'm just wondering for how long the same people can reapeat the same things, and for how many more pages... (who takes the bets? ;) ). "She's all that", "She is not, I'm telling you", "But I'm telling you she's all that", "No, like I was telling you before, she is not", "Well, but she is, I can see it with my own eyes", "But I'm telling you, she is not", "She is, too", "No siree, she is not", "She is", "She is not"...

http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/thread.jpg

registered

On the Ice
lavender said:
I was thinking the same thing. That's hilarious. There's hardly anyone in the world that would say Sasha has better edges Michelle. Maybe a lot of other things but edges are pretty much last on the list. Sasha's edges are good enough but don't really come close to Michelle. Michelle has some of the best, secure edges in the business.

And so says who? Seriosly now, I can't recall anyone, who has any weight in the sport, claiming that "Sasha's edges are not coming close to Michelle's."

I think we were more or less able to establish here, that having more titles doesn't automatically spell better edges. For instance, Tara have won everything Michelle did, plus some, but she's not better (edges wise). Or Katarina Witt, who's probably the most decorated female singles skater -- her edges don't look superb to me (decent -- yes).

If you'll compare Michelle's and Sasha's programs, Sasha has better spins, Ina and Spread Eagle (edges control). And many top names in sports confirmed last season, that her spiral is the best too. About Michelle's, I recall D. Button said, "Oh, it's such a cool move for Michelle," and that's it.

Commentators do praise Michelle's competitiveness, her longevity in the sport, "You should never count her out, " but I never heard anything being said about having the best edges in business.

So, as you can see, I'm hardly getting desperate here, I'm only warming up. I'm prepared to debate the edges issue, until we'll hit "Tureck's" lucky numbers. :laugh:

rTurek - I was singing Mathman's lyrics to the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone, the thighbone's connected to the hip bone, etc.:rolleye:

Shine - That could be trick photography which nobody seems to mention when showing off their favorites. Btw, who is that guy with that fantastic spread eagle?

Windspirt - Exactly! It's summertime nitpicking, and given the timing it's running into nerves with Campbell's in three weeks!

Flexibility - Oh, if only figure skaters could put their legs aloft without holding on to them a les ballerines.

Joe

lavender

Record Breaker
registered said:
And so says who? Seriosly now, I can't recall anyone, who has any weight in the sport, claiming that "Sasha's edges are not coming close to Michelle's."

I think we were more or less able to establish here, that having more titles doesn't automatically spell better edges. For instance, Tara have won everything Michelle did, plus some, but she's not better (edges wise). Or Katarina Witt, who's probably the most decorated female singles skater -- her edges don't look superb to me (decent -- yes).

If you'll compare Michelle's and Sasha's programs, Sasha has better spins, Ina and Spread Eagle (edges control). And many top names in sports confirmed last season, that her spiral is the best too. About Michelle's, I recall D. Button said, "Oh, it's such a cool move for Michelle," and that's it.

Commentators do praise Michelle's competitiveness, her longevity in the sport, "You should never count her out, " but I never heard anything being said about having the best edges in business.

So, as you can see, I'm hardly getting desperate here, I'm only warming up. I'm prepared to debate the edges issue, until we'll hit "Tureck's" lucky numbers. :laugh:

Well I don't hear them claiming that they are coming close either. I don't think they are close...yet let alone better. That's why there's a whole big thread on Sasha edges. That's why every skating site seems to talk about Sasha's edges at one point or another. Consistency is another big debate on Sasha but I don't expect that to continue. Sasha's edges (security or lack of) seems to have been a problem but imo they have improved. Just like there's been a big debates on Michelle's spins. She needed to improve them. There's never been a thread or debate on Michelle or Yuka's edges because they are awesome and secure. JMO.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
registered said:

If you are so trust the commentators. Try watch your Nats tape at the opening comments (before LP) from DB. He put all top 3 in one paragraph, try to listen DB's comments on Michelle's technique skill.

And try to litsen BBC EuroSport commentators ( they should have no bias, right?) at worlds.

Since michelle being in the scene so long either that US commentators refrain themself to prais her every time she show up. If you care to go back 4 years tapes, I guarentee you would hear the same praise to michelle.

shine

Record Breaker
Joe-
That's my trying to be objective in posting this particular picture- he's not really a favorite of mine! Or else I'd have easily chosen a picutre of Michelle doing her spread-eagle or sprial ;)
I doubt any camera could do a trick like that as the board line is paralell to the edge of the photograph which tells us that the camera angle is not tilted in any direction. This amazing inside spread-eagle is done by Jeffrey Buttle, by the way :)

Last edited:

Norlite

On the Ice
No, it's no trick. It was taken at Minto summerskate this summer by a poster on skatefans, Marg Burwell.

It's in Jeff's new Long Program, Samson and Delilah. I saw it at Thornhill. It's actually the second time it was posted in this thread, first time by link only.

here's the original photographers link:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20702041

there are a few other pictures in that album of Jeff's short program as well.

mzheng

Record Breaker
shine said:
Joe-
That's my trying to be objective in posting this particular picture- he's not really a favorite of mine! Or else I'd have easily chosen a picutre of Michelle doing her spread-eagle or sprial ;)
I doubt any camera could do a trick like that as the board line is paralell to the edge of the photograph which tells us that the camera angle is not tilted in any direction. This amazing inside spread-eagle is done by Jeffrey Buttle, by the way :)

A little off topics.

I just watched his performance once or twice, he has good basics and presentation skill. IMO, all Canadian top men (Sandu and Jeffery) has good basics, very nice edges and presentation skill overall better than US men. I'm wondering if Sandu and Jeffery will do better under CoP. The things kept them down was because Sandu is not consistant with quad and Jeffery dose not have quad yet, right?

Under CoP the difference of a triple jump and quad is about 4 or 5 points, right? If they can makeup the points in other eares, they may move passed the skaters can do quad but with so so basics. And that might happen, IMO. For Sandu Removing quad from his program may help keep his nerve in check, thus he can skate a well choreographed program CLEAN and get higher GOE out of her jump, and higher component marks to compensate that 4-5 points. For Jeffery the same thing.

Pookie

Final Flight
I'm just wondering for how long the same people can reapeat the same things, and for how many more pages... (who takes the bets? ). "She's all that", "She is not, I'm telling you", "But I'm telling you she's all that", "No, like I was telling you before, she is not", "Well, but she is, I can see it with my own eyes", "But I'm telling you, she is not", "She is, too", "No siree, she is not", "She is", "She is not"...

I don't think I'll bet. I would never have thought it would get to 13. :laugh:

The picture of that spread eagle is amazing!

shine

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
A little off topics.
IMO, all Canadian top men (Sandu and Jeffery) has good basics, very nice edges and presentation skill overall better than US men.
Think Matt Savoie and Ryan Jahnke.

mzheng

Record Breaker
shine said:
Think Matt Savoie and Ryan Jahnke.

Yes. They are good but not as polished as Sandu. Matt has really nice edges but still need work on how to present himself on ice. Ryan seems better present himself but he is not consistant with 3A. Besides Matt and Ryan are shadowed by Mike W. and Tim G. Not has as much exposure at international level as Sandu and Jeffery. Of all them Sandu is the most polished one. And Jeffery, less than 20 yr old, has most potential.