Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Sashas Edges

Go NJ Devils
    Originally posted by mzheng
    Even when she skated a relative clean LP with 7 triples at qualify round at 2003 worlds, the judges still placed her behind MK and ES.
    The Ladies' qualification at Worlds 03 was the first time I had seen Cohen in person. She was so tiny and dull, I thought she was just an over-hyped "television skater."

I was very relieved to see that she was a very different skater in the short and long programs, with more speed, energy, and charisma. She didn't skate cleanly in either, but she was so much more interesting to watch.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Originally posted by registered
    Not true, I've heard TV commentators to complement on Sasha's deep, flowing edges many times.
    You just never cease to amaze me.

Yep It's me!
    Originally posted by shine
    I get where you're coming from shine,

But he's way too predictable to be amazing. :sheesh:

In defense of Sasha. She does have edges but they are not in the Dorothy Hamil class! It will take time. She reminds me of Tara going after the tricks first. OK, but gold medals don't necesarily win the hearts of figure skater fans.

I still think she has the right stuff to win the Olys once she relaxes and just skates beautifully. Hey, what a concept, skate beautifully.

Joe

Duchess
    Originally posted by Norlite
    I get where you're coming from shine,

But he's way too predictable to be amazing. :sheesh:
    As in more predictable than the sunrise?

Yes, the Internet's most vociferous Sasha fan is rather that way.

AC, you really must get more creative. You can fool some of the people some of the time.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by shine
    What amazes you again?
    Last edited by rtureck; 09-18-2003 at 05:18 PM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    I still think she has the right stuff to win the Olys once she relaxes and just skates beautifully. Hey, what a concept, skate beautifully.

Joe
    I predict Sasha will be the favorite to win going into Olympics 2006.
    Last edited by rtureck; 08-27-2003 at 11:09 PM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by mzheng

I mean the arch line.
    What is the arch line? I reiterate, I am math and physics challenged.

Notice the 2 edges -- which are sharpened once a while -- on both side of the blads? Where is the vertical supporting force come from, so I think the area of the edge also affected the balance.
    I am a little lost here. But let me try to muddle it through.

According to you VerticalSupport=m*G*sin@, which is applied to the blads by the ice surface.

So vertical support is proportional to sin@. The smaller @, the smaller is the value of sin@. So if a skater has deep edges, i.e. small @, the vertical support is also smaller. So it takes a lot more skill to maintain a deep edge?

Back to Sasha's extension. JMO Extension is from tip of pointed toe to the tip of the fingers. She has the pointed toes, but we have quite a discussion about her fingers, which are OK basic ballet, not the most extended. So she loses some points in the overall extension. She lifts her free leg high, that is amplitude, not extension

Irina has the DEEPEST EDGES
    Last edited by rtureck; 08-28-2003 at 06:40 AM.

Check Out Lulu's Edge :D

That's a nice spiral, but a free leg's extention could be much better, than that. Compare to this one:
    Actually Michelle's extension is comparable to Sasha's. Where Sasha is better is in her amplitude. Michelle's extension can't get so is Sasha), but Sasha's amplitude and flexibility are unrivaled.

Sorry, but mistaking amplitude and/or flexibility for extension is a real big pet peeve of mine.

On another note, I'm not a big fan of the 180 deg. split in sprials, I just don't think its very attractive... I think it works well in other moves though (charlotte ect). looking at the pics of lulu and michelle's spirals, I don't think Sasha's 180 degree split would look right if her edges were that deep. It would just be very strange looking to me. That said, I think should she improve her edges, she should ditch the 180 split otherwise ti would look strange. JMO

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Sashas Edges

Joesitz:

In defense of Sasha. She does have edges but they are not in the Dorothy Hamil class! It will take time.
    Don't forget Dorothy was from the "old school" of figure skating - tracing figures - of course there is no comparison.

Give Sasha a break! I think she has a lovely line and beautiful flow. Her edges are not as deep as they could be, but skaters development today in this area is not the same as it was in the old school figures days. That's why they need to work more at developing deep edges. Ice dance would help improve this area.

Custom Title
    That is so sweet how you jump right in to defend Sasha!

Perhaps from now on you should be known as :

"Sir Registered--Most Loyal Fan."
    Aww, thanks. Oh, and notice, I'm not spreading tales about my least favorite skaters, saying they don't have basics, either.

(You guessed a gender wrong, I'm a she.)

:o

Custom Woman
    Gee, my first day back and what do I find? Mean-spirited snipes at a Sasha fan, with a few people assuming Registered is not Registered but AC. Even if Registered were AC, I'm sorry to see such snide remarks at GS. I've made such remarks myself in the past and always regretted it when I did.

Thanks to all those who posted photos. I loved them all but I especially liked the one of Jeff Buttle. Incredible lean and he looks so totally into it.
    Rgirl

Yep It's me!
    Originally posted by registered
    Aww, thanks. Oh, and notice, I'm not spreading tales about my least favorite skaters, saying they don't have basics, either.
    You are most welcome.

Although....I have just reread this thread, and I am still as perplexed by your second sentence as I was when I first read it.

I see no one "spreading tales" (i.e. falsehoods) of their least favourite skater. And I'm going to assume (although I *really* hate assumptions) that you mean Sasha when you say least favourite skater.

There is a six page thread on this forum in which everyone listed their least favourite skater. Sasha's name came up three times. Three times on a six page thread. And, none of those three posters participated in this thread.

Everyone on this thread has done nothing but wish the very best for Sasha, noted that she is an exquisite skater, noted that she is going far, and complimented her on continuing improvement on those elements of her skating that she is the weakest in. Not the weakest in the general field, just the weakest for her.

What more could a skater ask for from fans?

I would think any huge Sasha fan would be very pleased that she has this kind of support.
    Many skaters do not.
    Last edited by Norlite; 08-28-2003 at 06:44 AM.

Custom Title

I see no one "spreading tales" (i.e. falsehoods) of their least favourite skater. And I'm going to assume (although I *really* hate assumptions) that you mean Sasha when you say least favourite skater.

There is a six page thread on this forum in which everyone listed their least favourite skater. Sasha's name came up three times. Three times on a six page thread. And, none of those three posters participated in this thread.

Everyone on this thread has done nothing but wish the very best for Sasha, noted that she is an exquisite skater, noted that she is going far, and complimented her on continuing improvement on those elements of her skating that she is the weakest in. Not the weakest in the general field, just the weakest for her.

You should be very proud that Sasha has this kind of support. Many skaters do not.
    JMO, since some posters here do not WORSHIP Sasha the same way that some of her fans do, so these Sasha fans equate that to "spreading tales".

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast