What if the "flutz" and "lip" jumps were ratified? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What if the "flutz" and "lip" jumps were ratified?

Mafke

Medalist
If you are talking about the change from figures to no figures, you have a very good point! IIRC, figures used to be 2/3 of the total score. Major adjustment there. And I bet they all took off on the correct edge for their double lutzes. Oh, well. . .

It wasn't quite that dramatic but it was quick, probably more rapidly than it should have been:

In 1988 figures = 30 %
in 1989-90 = 20 %
in 1991 = 0 %

And some skaters good at figures did flutz (dagmar lurz) but it wasn't as common as now.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Not to mention the huge adjustment from figures to no figures, since figures used to be 2/3 of the total score. BTW, I bet they all took off on the correct edge for their double lutzes. Oh, well. . .

What I noticed when I watched a few programs by Peggy Fleming and some of her colleagues on youtube a few weeks ago, was, that they had good take-offs, but mostly they all had such a beautiful perfect running edge on their landings. I never noticed that before - there was no ice in the air, no wobble, nothing shaky - just amazing. It is probably harder with triples and most of these ladies only did doubles - but still, beautiful to watch.