Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: What if the "flutz" and "lip" jumps were ratified?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think this is a great point.

Raphael Arutunian threw a fit when they started hittng his student Mao Asada with e's. He said, basically, that Mao has been flutzing all her life, it's not fair to suddenly start giving deductions for it now.
    HA! He should cry on someone's shoulder about that. How does he think the students who skated under 6.0 felt when the entire fabric of their competitive lives was ripped out from underneath them and replaced with COP? I think that's a far more difficult and unsettling thing to happen than the wrong edge call rules.

Ant

^supposed to look like a blade! C_T_T_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    HA! He should cry on someone's shoulder about that. How does he think the students who skated under 6.0 felt when the entire fabric of their competitive lives was ripped out from underneath them and replaced with COP? I think that's a far more difficult and unsettling thing to happen than the wrong edge call rules.

Ant
    I can't find the actual interview on youtube now but I'm pretty sure he did and talked about how difficult that was for Michelle Kwan.
    I thought his point was that they should have been given more time, perhaps a season, before they introduced the 'e' deduction and that he wouldn't attempt to change her jump during the season beacuse it could throw her right off but judging by what I've read elsewhere I seem to have interpreted what he said differently from most people.

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    How does he think the students who skated under 6.0 felt when the entire fabric of their competitive lives was ripped out from underneath them and replaced with COP?
    Or what about all the singles skaters (especially ladies) in the late 80's who'd spent years and years training for the wrong sport and found out they would need lots more triples fast past the age that triples usually got added? The switch from 6.0 to CoP was relatively mild in terms of changing the rules and the elements required.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Or what about all the singles skaters (especially ladies) in the late 80's who'd spent years and years training for the wrong sport and found out they would need lots more triples fast past the age that triples usually got added? The switch from 6.0 to CoP was relatively mild in terms of changing the rules and the elements required.
    IMO, I like the scoring of CoP but I do not like its restrictions. There were basically no restrictions with the 6.0 except back sommersalts and Zayak.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Not to mention the huge adjustment from figures to no figures, since figures used to be 2/3 of the total score. BTW, I bet they all took off on the correct edge for their double lutzes. Oh, well. . .

Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    If you are talking about the change from figures to no figures, you have a very good point! IIRC, figures used to be 2/3 of the total score. Major adjustment there. And I bet they all took off on the correct edge for their double lutzes. Oh, well. . .
    It wasn't quite that dramatic but it was quick, probably more rapidly than it should have been:

In 1988 figures = 30 %
    in 1989-90 = 20 %
    in 1991 = 0 %

And some skaters good at figures did flutz (dagmar lurz) but it wasn't as common as now.

Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    Not to mention the huge adjustment from figures to no figures, since figures used to be 2/3 of the total score. BTW, I bet they all took off on the correct edge for their double lutzes. Oh, well. . .
    What I noticed when I watched a few programs by Peggy Fleming and some of her colleagues on youtube a few weeks ago, was, that they had good take-offs, but mostly they all had such a beautiful perfect running edge on their landings. I never noticed that before - there was no ice in the air, no wobble, nothing shaky - just amazing. It is probably harder with triples and most of these ladies only did doubles - but still, beautiful to watch.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6