Evan's new style | Golden Skate

Evan's new style

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Gloves! That would be quite the ticket for sure!

I can't wait to see Evan do something different...he definitely did need to make some adjustments.

And no Spanish music! That would be even better.

I've never been a fan but I am very impressed by his willingness not even to reinvent himself but to hand himself over to be reinvented. He sounds like championship material to me. It will be an interesting season!

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
It was a different creative collaboration than he'd ever experienced, and he says it suited him perfectly at this point in his career.

I was hoping Evan'd be more specific reg his 'Russian experience'. Did he skate in CSKA, or in a training facility outside Moscow (like Novogorsk?). Did he like it?
Did TAT make any jokes? What did he do on his days off there? etc. etc.

But, ok, it's not typical of Evan. I think TAT will probably talk about these things, next time she's a commentator.

momjudi

On the Ice
It just puzzles me that at this stage of his career, Evan is still allowing someone else to choose his music and his costumes. If he truly wanted to reinvent himself, he would chose his own music and costumes and let the world see the "real Evan" and not the image someone else is giving him.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It just puzzles me that at this stage of his career, Evan is still allowing someone else to choose his music and his costumes. If he truly wanted to reinvent himself, he would chose his own music and costumes and let the world see the "real Evan" and not the image someone else is giving him.

I think that it is very clever of Evan (or any skater) to use a professional person to bring out his real person, in my opinion. Another person can often see lots of things that a person her/himself might be unable to. Besides, it is not selecting music and costumes that bring out a real person, in my opinion. It is the entity consisting of music, skating, choreography and Evan´s person on the ice that will give us the whole picture.

On the other hand, I think that perhaps Evan should have left the costumes for Lori to choose, LOL. Anyway, I´m very curious to see what Tarasova has selected for him. Fortunately though, the costumes can be changed if he does not feel comfortable in them. A comfortable feeling is very important, in my opinion.

Last edited:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight

:rofl:If it was left to him, I can imagine Evan in black for the next two seasons, skating to Concerto de Aranjuez and Turandot.

I'm glad that he's trying out something new. I can't wait to see him at his first Grand Prix assignment. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though. Tatiana Tarasova can be outrageous with costumes.:laugh:

I don't find that fair to put to Evan. I believe all skaters rely on their team to assist in selecting music, costumes, choreography, coaching, etc. While Bolero originates as a Spanish Dance, he is using it for the SP, I believe. Given the CoP scoring, it's just a matter of fulfilling the requisite elements in the program. If he makes his 3A correctly and lands the almighty quad, he will do well in the SP regardless of music.

However, the Gershwin number will be a bit of a challenge from what Lori saw in him. Here, the roar of the crowd plays a distinct role in the outcome of CoP scores, imo. There are enough change of rhythms in Gershwin to make the skater look good if used properly, Can TT make him feel like Kulic who also skated to Gershim and did an admirable job? That's what I waiting to see. Will he have rhythm?

Medusa

Record Breaker
I'm glad that he's trying out something new. I can't wait to see him at his first Grand Prix assignment. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though. Tatiana Tarasova can be outrageous with costumes.:laugh:

I am looking forward to the "new" Evan and I love Gershwin. I just hope he doesn't end up as a crazy giraffe with a weird waistcoat (honestly, what were people thinking?? :laugh:).

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:laugh: Are you being serious? Why in the world would this "puzzle" you? As opposed to 98% of the skating world who also allow others to choose their music and costumes. I don't see how you can possibly single out Lysacek, as if he's the only one. He's a skater, not a music editor/costume designer. It would be really cool to see more skaters have more creative input, but the reality is that the majority don't take an active role in that regard.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I so agree. A few on this board and others have said that Evan does not understand that music he is skating too and is lacking artistically. Well i say no wonder. How can skaters such as he and Miki (who admitted last season she never has a hand in her music choices) ever hope to grow artistically. I think you have to have at least half of the say otherwise your skating will come out all pretty much the same, something both of these skaters have suffered from in the past.

I am looking forward to the "new" Evan and I love Gershwin. I just hope he doesn't end up as a crazy giraffe with a weird waistcoat (honestly, what were people thinking?? :laugh:).

Yeah, if that is what Russian style is let's just stick to black eh?

Binthere

On the Ice
Sounds like there was an appropriate level of growth and "risk" taking in a non-Olympic year... while he has "reinvented" himself, it is still most likely within the range of what internat'l judges and fans would expect.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: However the giraffe like waistcoat brought that skater G O L D.

Sounds like there was an appropriate level of growth and "risk" taking in a non-Olympic year... while he has "reinvented" himself, it is still most likely within the range of what internat'l judges and fans would expect.
What is the origin of the term "reinvented himself"? I don't think he said that. Seems to be 3rd person.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I am still skeptical about "representing Tatiana well", but I am really looking forward to seeing the new Evan Lysacek. I expect him to be much better artistically with TAT's work. There is nothing wrong to let the experts choose the music and costumes for you if you have no ideas about them.

merrybari

Final Flight
re: costumes:
"I tried my best to keep my mouth shut, but sometimes I had to open it.

It eases my mind that it appears he did maybe put the brakes on a little bit. She has had some pretty wild ideas in the past.

I think he has a well developed and strong sense of his style - both skating and costuming. It says a lot that he is ever willing and actively seeking new ways to expand on it at all levels.

I can hardly wait to see the results of this new collaboration. It bodes well that his team is highly receptive to the changes as well.

antmanb

Record Breaker
:rofl:If it was left to him, I can imagine Evan in black for the next two seasons, skating to Concerto de Aranjuez and Turandot.

Yeah let's hope it's not another Rhapsody in Moo!

Ant

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
What is the origin of the term "reinvented himself"? I don't think he said that. Seems to be 3rd person.

E.g. this was mentioned in the article:

"I didn't really have input choosing the music. I didn't really have very much input in the choreography. That's exactly what I wanted," Lysacek says. "It was exactly what I asked for. I asked Tatiana to basically reinvent my skating and reinvent my style. Hopefully she's proud of the product. I really am working hard to make me proud of the product I'm putting out because I want to represent her well. She's so selective in who she works with that I really do want to represent her well."

I think that the above is very polite and well put by Evan!

Last edited: