Evan's new style | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evan's new style

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I don't like the idea of Bolero....I guess I'm old fashioned and think that music is for the most part, off limits. Kind of like how East of Eden is a Kwan signature music/skate. I can think of only 1-2 skaters who could do Bolero justice and frankly, I think the perfect program for the music was already skated by Torvil and Dean.

I'd like to see Evan more artistic...seems like he's trying to move forward and grow in his own way, taking risks, trying something a bit new. Hope it works out for him. I do however, like his tasteful costumes - esp. that silk cream shirt he wore last year - it had some pleating in the front...nice.

E.g. this was mentioned in the article:

"I didn't really have input choosing the music. I didn't really have very much input in the choreography. That's exactly what I wanted," Lysacek says. "It was exactly what I asked for. I asked Tatiana to basically reinvent my skating and reinvent my style. Hopefully she's proud of the product. I really am working hard to make me proud of the product I'm putting out because I want to represent her well. She's so selective in who she works with that I really do want to represent her well."

I think that the above is very polite and well put by Evan!
Thank you Jaana. He is a gentleman and he speaks out. Good for Evan.

lcd

Match Penalty
Whoa... good luck with Bolero. Even Michele struggled to overcome the Torvill/Dean 'it's their signature music' thing... and SHE had gone to Christopher Dean for choreography too. (Admittedly, there were apparently tons of changes from his original version for her as his programs are notoriously complex).

Reinvent? Hmmm.... I'm not sure going with either War Horse music or "signature" pieces is such an 'inventive' way to go... we'll have to see

merrybari

Final Flight
Whoa... good luck with Bolero. Even Michele struggled to overcome the Torvill/Dean 'it's their signature music' thing... and SHE had gone to Christopher Dean for choreography too. (Admittedly, there were apparently tons of changes from his original version for her as his programs are notoriously complex).

Reinvent? Hmmm.... I'm not sure going with either War Horse music or "signature" pieces is such an 'inventive' way to go... we'll have to see

Bolero is bound to be different - from ice dance (team) to single (female) to single (male) - all are very different disciplines so I have no trouble believing Evan's/TT's interp will be equally so.

AS to reinvent - why not? They're not trying to reinvent the music but rather Evan's STYLE through the music. I'm sure they'll pull it off with flying colors as neither are fearful of trying something different.

Last edited:

vlaurend

Final Flight
Well, it's not a bad idea for Evan to explore other styles, just as Johnny Weir had his "manly guy" experiment the season before last. You never know if something works for you unless you try it, and if this Tarasova thing doesn't work, he can always go back to his tried-and-true Macho Man In Black style for the Olympics. I applaud his willingness to step outside his comfort zone this year.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I think Evan has always shown the ability to do different styles. He actually has alot of dancibility and a bit of "it" factor. I watched the Singing In The Rain program again , and thought that many men could not pull off that casual and airy feeling. Having said that I dont think he has the pure lines of a dancer, so it will be interesting to see what direction and influence he will take this year. Maybe he will be more contemporary?

I think Evan has always shown the ability to do different styles. He actually has alot of dancibility and a bit of "it" factor. I watched the Singing In The Rain program again , and thought that many men could not pull off that casual and airy feeling. Having said that I dont think he has the pure lines of a dancer, so it will be interesting to see what direction and influence he will take this year. Maybe he will be more contemporary?
That's so true. I think many posters see his last two LPs as very similar in style, and I could agree with them too, but it doesn't mean he can't do anything else. I think waiting till the Nationals to judge a good style for any skater should show up at that competition.

Lysacek - a TT/Gershwin. Let's see it.

Weir - Another first rate lyrical piece but the same style

Carriere - When he finds his perfect style, he could win. He is not lacking in the Technical matter.

Abbott - Slowly getting his style but it gets better each year. If he hits the Tech, he will be podium bound.

Rippon - A natural lyrical skater who has become Morozovzide. Will it work even with a 3A?

Bradley - If his style doesn't interfere with his Tech.

Gumdrops

Rinkside
I'm really not sure about him doing Bolero, but I think the Gershwin will really suit him.

I never found there to be anything inherently wrong with Evan's skating and presentation. But, if he feels that he can grow artistically and present a different side of himself, well, that's great.

I like him in black though. He's got that long, lanky physique and black looks good on him. I suppose some color would be nice as long as it's not eye searing. I never liked Tarasova's taste in costumes so I'm hoping for the best here.

decker

On the Ice
I like him in black though. He's got that long, lanky physique and black looks good on him. I suppose some color would be nice as long as it's not eye searing. I never liked Tarasova's taste in costumes so I'm hoping for the best here.

I agree on Evan and black. Tarasovian costumes are just fine on people who have the physique and personality to pull them off. But I can see Evan looking just ... wrong ... if his costume is too busy and flashy.

I'm intrigued by his music choices. Can't wait to see the programs!

Susan

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I agree on Evan and black. Tarasovian costumes are just fine on people who have the physique and personality to pull them off. But I can see Evan looking just ... wrong ... if his costume is too busy and flashy.

I'm intrigued by his music choices. Can't wait to see the programs!

Susan

I never had a problem with the black either. I really liked the Zorro outfit. Sexy. Tatianna has done some good costumes, for example sasha had beautiful dresses with her, but the taller Shizuka did not looks so great in that feathery swan lake thing.