Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Evan's new style

  1. #16
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Binthere View Post
    Sounds like there was an appropriate level of growth and "risk" taking in a non-Olympic year... while he has "reinvented" himself, it is still most likely within the range of what internat'l judges and fans would expect.
    What is the origin of the term "reinvented himself"? I don't think he said that. Seems to be 3rd person.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,560
    I am still skeptical about "representing Tatiana well", but I am really looking forward to seeing the new Evan Lysacek. I expect him to be much better artistically with TAT's work. There is nothing wrong to let the experts choose the music and costumes for you if you have no ideas about them.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    re: costumes:
    "I tried my best to keep my mouth shut, but sometimes I had to open it.
    It eases my mind that it appears he did maybe put the brakes on a little bit. She has had some pretty wild ideas in the past.

    I think he has a well developed and strong sense of his style - both skating and costuming. It says a lot that he is ever willing and actively seeking new ways to expand on it at all levels.

    I can hardly wait to see the results of this new collaboration. It bodes well that his team is highly receptive to the changes as well.

  4. #19
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by mycelticblessing View Post
    If it was left to him, I can imagine Evan in black for the next two seasons, skating to Concerto de Aranjuez and Turandot.

    I'm glad that he's trying out something new. I can't wait to see him at his first Grand Prix assignment. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though. Tatiana Tarasova can be outrageous with costumes.
    Yeah let's hope it's not another Rhapsody in Moo!

    Ant

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    What is the origin of the term "reinvented himself"? I don't think he said that. Seems to be 3rd person.
    E.g. this was mentioned in the article:

    "I didn't really have input choosing the music. I didn't really have very much input in the choreography. That's exactly what I wanted," Lysacek says. "It was exactly what I asked for. I asked Tatiana to basically reinvent my skating and reinvent my style. Hopefully she's proud of the product. I really am working hard to make me proud of the product I'm putting out because I want to represent her well. She's so selective in who she works with that I really do want to represent her well."

    I think that the above is very polite and well put by Evan!
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-15-2008 at 06:56 AM.

  6. #21
    Custom Title dwiggin3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    765
    I don't like the idea of Bolero....I guess I'm old fashioned and think that music is for the most part, off limits. Kind of like how East of Eden is a Kwan signature music/skate. I can think of only 1-2 skaters who could do Bolero justice and frankly, I think the perfect program for the music was already skated by Torvil and Dean.

    I'd like to see Evan more artistic...seems like he's trying to move forward and grow in his own way, taking risks, trying something a bit new. Hope it works out for him. I do however, like his tasteful costumes - esp. that silk cream shirt he wore last year - it had some pleating in the front...nice.

  7. #22
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    E.g. this was mentioned in the article:

    "I didn't really have input choosing the music. I didn't really have very much input in the choreography. That's exactly what I wanted," Lysacek says. "It was exactly what I asked for. I asked Tatiana to basically reinvent my skating and reinvent my style. Hopefully she's proud of the product. I really am working hard to make me proud of the product I'm putting out because I want to represent her well. She's so selective in who she works with that I really do want to represent her well."

    I think that the above is very polite and well put by Evan!
    Thank you Jaana. He is a gentleman and he speaks out. Good for Evan.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Thank you Jaana. He is a gentleman and he speaks out. Good for Evan.
    I couldn't agree more. Well and truly said. Thank you Janna and Joesitz!!

  9. #24
    Custom Title rosee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    maybe he will even wear gloves
    Didn't he wore gloves in the SP last year ?

  10. #25
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,666
    he did wear gloves last year for his SP

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,173
    Whoa... good luck with Bolero. Even Michele struggled to overcome the Torvill/Dean 'it's their signature music' thing... and SHE had gone to Christopher Dean for choreography too. (Admittedly, there were apparently tons of changes from his original version for her as his programs are notoriously complex).

    Reinvent? Hmmm.... I'm not sure going with either War Horse music or "signature" pieces is such an 'inventive' way to go... we'll have to see

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Whoa... good luck with Bolero. Even Michele struggled to overcome the Torvill/Dean 'it's their signature music' thing... and SHE had gone to Christopher Dean for choreography too. (Admittedly, there were apparently tons of changes from his original version for her as his programs are notoriously complex).

    Reinvent? Hmmm.... I'm not sure going with either War Horse music or "signature" pieces is such an 'inventive' way to go... we'll have to see
    Bolero is bound to be different - from ice dance (team) to single (female) to single (male) - all are very different disciplines so I have no trouble believing Evan's/TT's interp will be equally so.

    AS to reinvent - why not? They're not trying to reinvent the music but rather Evan's STYLE through the music. I'm sure they'll pull it off with flying colors as neither are fearful of trying something different.
    Last edited by merrybari; 08-17-2008 at 07:39 AM.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    425
    Well, it's not a bad idea for Evan to explore other styles, just as Johnny Weir had his "manly guy" experiment the season before last. You never know if something works for you unless you try it, and if this Tarasova thing doesn't work, he can always go back to his tried-and-true Macho Man In Black style for the Olympics. I applaud his willingness to step outside his comfort zone this year.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    222
    I think Evan has always shown the ability to do different styles. He actually has alot of dancibility and a bit of "it" factor. I watched the Singing In The Rain program again , and thought that many men could not pull off that casual and airy feeling. Having said that I dont think he has the pure lines of a dancer, so it will be interesting to see what direction and influence he will take this year. Maybe he will be more contemporary?

  15. #30
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginask8s View Post
    I think Evan has always shown the ability to do different styles. He actually has alot of dancibility and a bit of "it" factor. I watched the Singing In The Rain program again , and thought that many men could not pull off that casual and airy feeling. Having said that I dont think he has the pure lines of a dancer, so it will be interesting to see what direction and influence he will take this year. Maybe he will be more contemporary?
    That's so true. I think many posters see his last two LPs as very similar in style, and I could agree with them too, but it doesn't mean he can't do anything else. I think waiting till the Nationals to judge a good style for any skater should show up at that competition.

    Lysacek - a TT/Gershwin. Let's see it.

    Weir - Another first rate lyrical piece but the same style

    Carriere - When he finds his perfect style, he could win. He is not lacking in the Technical matter.

    Abbott - Slowly getting his style but it gets better each year. If he hits the Tech, he will be podium bound.

    Rippon - A natural lyrical skater who has become Morozovzide. Will it work even with a 3A?

    Bradley - If his style doesn't interfere with his Tech.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •