Realistically, do you think Kimmie will make it to 2009 Worlds? | Golden Skate

Realistically, do you think Kimmie will make it to 2009 Worlds?

Will Kimmie make it to 2009 Worlds? And if not, will she retire before Olys?

• Yes, Kimmie will make the 2009 team for Worlds.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • No, Kimmie won't make the 2009 team for Worlds.

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Kimmie will probably retire from competitive skating before Olys if she doesn't podium in 2009 Nats.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • Kimmie will remain a competitive skater for Olys regardless if she podiums or not in 2009 Nats.

Votes: 33 28.9%

• Total voters

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Two part poll:

First:

Realistically, do you think Kimmie Meissner will get one of the two US spots for2009 Worlds? My inkling is no, not with Caroline, Mirai, and Rachael to contend with. Perhaps one of them could crack under the pressure, but I doubt that two of them would (barring Kimmie drastically improving her skating this year).

Second:

Also sadly enough, I have a feeling that if she doesn't podium in this year's Nationals, she will retire from competitive skating before the 2009 - 2010 season. Just my gut feeling. Does anyone else think that this would be a likely possibility?

gocaroline

On the Ice
No

I really like Kimmie as a great athlete and human being, but I have to say no to both questions.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I hope she makes the World team this year and continues to skate at least through the 09/10 season. I'm not too confident yet in the Zhang/Nagasu/Flatt trio. Caroline needs to seriously fix her jumps, increase her speed, improve her edges... flashy spins and spirals can only take you so far, and she is of the age where a growth spurt is a very real concern, and that could ruin her already wonky jumps. Mirai seems to crack in the big international comps. And she, too, is growing. Flatt is the most solid in terms of jumps, but once again, growth spurt. She doesn't look like she does a lot of off-ice training, she looks rather soft. She could be in serious trouble when she really starts growing. And she desperately needs to fix her posture and extension, she looks so clumsy on the ice. I want to see how all these kids weather puberty before I put all of my faith in them. Kimmie, on the other hand, has the advantage of having already gone through her growth sput, and therefore has more time to adjust to it before the Olys. Additionally, yes, she had a rough season, but still she improved significantly between Nationals and Worlds, and she is a highly motivated young lady, I would expect her to continue improving. Not that I don't think that Zhang/Nagasu/Flatt will improve as well, I just think that given their ages, one or more of them could be struggling with growth issues at any given time between now and the Olys, and Kimmie should not be counted out.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I voted for "no" and "go on." I do not think that Kimmie could make the world team this season. Even though her overall skating seems improving, she seems to suffer a bit too much on her elements. I think that Rachael, Mirai, Wagner, Zhang, and Alissa have a better chance to make the team.
But right before the Olympics season is a strange timing to retire. It would not hurt for her to stick around one more year from now on and at least give it a try. Who knows? She may have better jumps next season.

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
But right before the Olympics season is a strange timing to retire. It would not hurt for her to stick around one more year from now on and at least give it a try. Who knows? She may have better jumps next season.

What about if she finishes off the podium at Nats come March? Will she get much by way of GP assignments for the next season? If not, that would only leave her with Nationals to make an impression with as far as making the Oly or World teams, wouldn't it?

I don't keep up with all the ins and outs of GP assignment. She might get one I guess, as long as she did ok at Nats. But her international scores have been abysmal this season.

I'm just wondering, if she stuck around in a sort of "why not?" mode, whether she'd have any chances other than Nats to make an impression on the judges, the federation, etc. to make it worth her while. Unless she just loves competitive skating -- which she no longer seems to do.

McWicked

On the Ice
What about if she finishes off the podium at Nats come March? Will she get much by way of GP assignments for the next season? If not, that would only leave her with Nationals to make an impression with as far as making the Oly or World teams, wouldn't it?

I don't keep up with all the ins and outs of GP assignment. She might get one I guess, as long as she did ok at Nats. But her international scores have been abysmal this season.

I'm just wondering, if she stuck around in a sort of "why not?" mode, whether she'd have any chances other than Nats to make an impression on the judges, the federation, etc. to make it worth her while. Unless she just loves competitive skating -- which she no longer seems to do.

Have a little faith and some patience :agree:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Have a little faith and some patience :agree:

I'd love to be proven wrong, but when Kimmie didn't come out of the gate after finishing 4th at 2007 Worlds tearing to get her title back, and now that she's had 2 pretty bad seasons following one only okay season since her title, the faith's worn pretty thin. Plus, like I said, she doesn't seem to care that much anymore -- not that I'd blame her if she doesn't. Does she still love it, or does she just not know what else to do?

McWicked

On the Ice
She still loves it, Im sure. She could be full time student in college instead. This must be tough on her, she cant rely on her body anymore, she really needs to adjust, she's a bit more than 5'4 not 5'5 but almost, plus her personal issues. Kimmie will overcome this, im sure.

Bill508

Rinkside
Kimmie should retire now.

Kimmie should retire now and gracefully leave the skating scene. Emily should do the same. They are not in the same class as the top Japanese, Korean or European skaters.

McWicked

On the Ice
Kimmie should retire now and gracefully leave the skating scene. Emily should do the same. They are not in the same class as the top Japanese, Korean or European skaters.

Emily, true. But not Kimmie yet, we could've said the same about Joannie last season, but she made a great comeback, Kimmie's just changed coaches, I give her more time.

Bennett

Record Breaker

Hummm, I did not think about this in that way. Thank you for your insights. I agree that it would be very difficult not to have any GP assignments and still try to remain a competitor for the Olympic team. That would be tough...... Let's just hope that she will do well at the upcoming Nationals. Depending on the outcome, the picture could be a lot different.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily, true. But not Kimmie yet, we could've said the same about Joannie last season, but she made a great comeback, Kimmie's just changed coaches, I give her more time.

What was so terrible about Joannie's performance last season? Maybe you are referring to the '06-'07 season? Last season she won two bronze medals at both Skate Canada and Cup of Russia, where she placed 2nd in the LP behind Yu-Na Kim, and would have advanced to the Grand Prix Final if she had easier draws, alas she had to go up against Yu-Na Kim once, Mao Asada once, and Yukari Nakano twice. She had the 4th highest point total in the Grand Prix of all the ladies. She won her 4th Canadian National title, won the silver medal at 4CC behind Mao Asada and ahead of Miki Ando, and placed 5th at the World Championships, her highest finish thus far at Senior Worlds. She was credited with landing 6 to 7 triples in all of her international long programs last season, a trend that she is continuing into this season so far.

Last edited:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
I agree with those who think we need to wait and see what happens at Nationals this year. I think it's possible for Kimmie to make it to the podium. The other US ladies haven't been that consistent so far this year. Kimmie just needs to put two good programs together and hope for some errors from the rest of the field.

Confidence and steady nerves is what Kimmie really needs. I can't even imagine how deflated she must feel. I do think this is the turning point for her. The big question is---does she have what it takes to turn this around? Personally, I hope she fights for it.

Dizzy

antmanb

Record Breaker
I don't think she will make the team but i don't think Caroline or Mirai will the ones to keep her from it. I think Ashley and Rachel will be the ones on the top two steps and who knows what Caroline or Mirai will able to do.

I don't see any reason for her to retire if she doesn't make the world team. The US has a really long history of a very deep ladies field with skaters knowing that making nationals is achievement enough, let alone getting to go to worlds. I think failing to make the team could be exactly what Kimmie needs - she coudl take a proper vacation from training/competing and get straight to work on her programs for the Olympic season - think of the extra time she would have compared to the skaters who go tot worlds.

About the GPs - i suppose she might get one at the end of the season? I suppose it depends, if she doesn't make the world team, on which ladies choose to go to 4CC (how many spots do the US have for that?) if she went there she should be able to bump up her standing to get at least one GP and the US could give her a second one at Skate America.

Ant

Star85

Rinkside
I never was a Kimmie fan. With the ladies field getting deeper in the US, and with Kimmies poor performances in the last few seasons, I say NO. She will not make it to worlds. You never know what can happen. She could skate clean, and the other girls could have bad skates, and she could make it. But in all probability, and the way things look now?...
And the chances of Mirai, Caroline, Rachael, and Ashly all doing badly at nationals isn't very likely. Plus, there are other up and coming skaters who may supprise us like Mirai and Rachael did last year.

I think Kimmie will stick it out until the olympics and the end of next season though.

lcd

Match Penalty
Skating careers are a journey. Hate to write anyone off too quickly. Look at Shizuka? And... while she didn't win again, remember when Elaine Z. came back? that was a success in its own way too.

Eurofan

On the Ice
I'm in the "wait and see" camp. Doesn't Callaghan have the reputation of being a "jump doctor"? I remember that Nicole Bobek (very inconsistent jumper) had her most successful year training with him. And unlike Kimmie, Nicole wasn't exactly hardworking. So if Callaghan was able to help party-girl Nicole win national gold and world bronze, he could help get Kimmie back in form. But we'll find out soon enough.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Kimmie will hang up her skates.