The most overrated skaters/programs/comps | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The most overrated skaters/programs/comps

lulu

Final Flight
Thanks Anke. Don't worry, I don't agree with everything you say either;)

Again, I wasn't trying to offend anyone. :)
Truth be told there are things, in some cases more than one ;) that I like about all of the skaters I mentioned. And there are things that I don't care for as much as others might.
That's the end on that subject.

Speaking of overrated comps-How about the 4CC? Or is it even overrated? I read somewhere that it will someday overtake Europeans in terms of prestige and importance. That might happen someday-but not now. The problem I think, is that the USFSA seems to treat the 4CC as a "poor cousin"-by not sending their top tier skaters to it. I wonder how the 4CC is viewed in Asia? I do notice that nations like China and Japan do tend to send their top level skaters (S&Z and Honda for example). So maybe it is viewed differently there.

Last edited:

ATW27

On the Ice
I'm not sure if USFSA sees Four Continents as a second-tier event; i think it's more a case that the Michelle Kwans and the Tim Goebles see it as such. With Worlds looming very soon on the horizon, and the fact that the event is usually held in Asia, the top U.S. singles skaters (I say singles - notice that the top U.S. pairs and ice dancers usually attend) just don't seem to see it as worthy of their time and effort. This year, Four Continents will be in Canada, so it will be interesting to see if having it this close to home will make it more appealing (of course, if Michelle is sticking to her streamlined schedule that worked so well last year, that means she may still pass on it). Also note that the top Canadians are usually there as well. So you could wonder if the lack of top U.S. singles is what's holding it back. It seems it's just not a prestigeous (sp?) enough title for them, and the irony is it could become prestigeous if they did attend (!). About the only good thingabout the situation is that it give a chance for skaters like Jenny Kirk (and Tatiana Malinina and Jeff Buttle) the chance to say "hey, I won an ISU Championship!"

Andy