Need advice on Axel landing | Golden Skate

Need advice on Axel landing

Skatergirl13

Rinkside
I'm having a lot of trouble landing my Axel, like i only do 1 and a quarter rotations instead of 1 and a half. Can i please have some suggestions on how to improve? Thanks!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
How long have you been working on your axel? Don't get discouraged because it's taking a long time to land, it's so different from other jumps that it can take a while to get. I havn't seen you jump so I don't know why your short on rotation, but some possible problems: make sure to jump out of the circle, not into it. Jumping into the circle makes it hard to go off the toepick and gain any height in the jump. Make sure you are driving straight through with the free leg and are compleatly transfering your weight over to your right side (left if you jump clockwise) your left hip needs to lift and your full weight needs to transfer. Don't muscle the jump, guys can sometimes get away with this, but it's bad technique and women can't do it and get full rotations. If you have a coach talk to them or if not see if a coach at your club will watch a couple and give you some sugestions on how to improve if the above dosn't help.
Hope that helps, good luck.

Last edited:

skatergirl45

On the Ice
Don't be discouraged!
Make sure you toe is pointed in the air so you come down on your toe. Also, make sure you jump up then turn.

PS-That is AWESOME for only working on it for two weeks!

Also, welcome to the board, I love your username:)

Skatergirl13

Rinkside
Thanks for your advice everyone, i'll try to remember it all lol..

PS: Skatergirl45, your user name is cool (and i didn't know that ours were so similar before i made mine lol :biggrin:)