• Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, 2001 Worlds

19 18.45%
  • Anissina & Peizerat, 2001 Worlds

9 8.74%
  • Sale & Pelletier, 2002 Olympics

21 20.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who, if any, would you have given the gold to?

Rooting for the Kerrs!

Who, if any, would you have given the gold to?

The threads on silver and bronze medal performances got me thinking. Which of these, if any, would you have given the gold to if you had been a judge? Please try to judge properly, ie don't vote just because skater A is your favourite and you wanted them to win. Who do you honestly think deserved the gold medal out of these? (You can vote for more than one)

I chose Mishkutenok & Dmitriev. Gordeeva and Grinkov are a wonderful pair team. They have a perfection of movement about them. But that night, M&D had excitement, a beautiful and dramatic program and skated it wonderfully. I would have hated to be a judge.

I am really biased on a lot of the other choices.

Old school Tim fan
    I voted for Michelle but also I would pick S/P.

Michelle Kwan Fan
    For me, it's definitely Paul. I also thought Michelle's Lyra Angelica was such a masterpiece that it should have been gold.

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster

Thumbs up

Lulu, without a doubt! She was robbed big time! I've never seen such a breathtaking Ladies program before! The BEST!!! ever!

Anke

Tripping on the Podium
    I voted Michelle 1998 and S&P 2002.

Michelle skated so wonderful in 1998 and I remember thinking WOW! S&P definately deserved gold not to be tied with gold. There performance was much better.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    I had no idea you could vote for more than one choice.

Anyways, I voted for Michelle Kwan in Nagano 1998 and Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze in 2001 Worlds.

Custom Title
    Lu Chen's Rach, it was a masterpiece and I think the judges only gave it to Michelle because of her extra triple.

Gold Medalist
    I voted for LuLu...

Both Paul and Michelle deserved the Gold that night..........42

Michelle and Sale and Pelletier.

On the Ice
    Nancy Kerrigan should definitely have won gold in '94. I recently re-watched the Ladies Compeition and was struck with just how much better Kerrigan skated than Oksana. Kerrigan was cleaner with better presentation. Oksana threw in an extra jump, fluttered her arms around and danced on her toe picks in some of the most God-awful creations ever known to pass as skating costumes. And, surprise, surprise, the scores reflected Eastern bloc judging. Sometimes I wonder if the judges would have given Kerrigan gold no matter what she did, b/c of the knee bashing incident. She was a constant reminder of that debacle and it seemed that many in skating wanted to forget that whole thing happened (no matter how popular it made the sport).

Sale and Pelletier clearly deserved to win gold outright in '02, they clearly skated better than B&S. However, they were using an old program and it seems that some judges hold that against competitors. Just ask Todd Eldredge.

(Personally, I think that they should have new programs each season, but I understand why they sometimes choose not to do so. But, it doesn't seem fair when some competitors have new programs and others are using programs that have been used for a couple of seasons.)

Eva-Elena
    I would have given it to Irina Slutskaya. She really deserved that golden medal at Olys.

Custom Title
    Paul of course! He was superior to Petrenko artistry wise and technically it was extremely close. I also would have given Chen Lu the Gold in Edmonton. Her "Rach" was beyond sublime artistry wise and ranks among my favorites of all time. But...I wouldn't say she was robbed. It was a close decision and should have been. Michelle skated an intricate, artistic program that included more difficult jump content and better quality spins. Tough one to call! I also would have given Nancy the Gold in 94 (based on the strength of her technical content).

So, let us see:
    92 Olympics
    Paul - 5.6/6.0
    Petrenko - 5.7/5.8

94 Olympics
    Kerrigan - 5.8/5.8
    Baiul - 5.6/5.9

96 Worlds
    Chen Lu - 5.8/6.0
    Kwan - 5.9/5.9

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    I think it'll be interesting to see the results when lots of people have voted. There's one I forgot to add - Alexander Abt in 2002 Europeans. He came 2nd to Yagudin, but most people (including me) thought he deserved to win.

The other ones I myself voted for were Mishkutenok & Dmitriev in 94, Torvill & Dean in 94, Nancy Kerrigan in 94 and Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze in 01. In all of those cases, I think these skaters performed routines that were technically superior to the ones that beat them, choreographically superior in many ways, and were all performed beautifully. I would have given gold to these skaters in these competitions. And Abt in 02 Euros, but I forgot to add that one...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast