Michael Weiss' Freedom Blades | Golden Skate

Michael Weiss' Freedom Blades

S

SkateFan4Life

This isn't meant as a bashing thread, but what possible value is there for Michael Weiss to wear those "Freedom blades"? Do these blades enable him to skater faster, higher, better? I think not. The only thing Weiss can do with his new blades are the offbeat, funky moves when he "stands" on his heels, etc. These may be fine for exhibition programs and professional shows, but they really do not belong in eligible competition. They just don't add anything to his choregraphy. On the contrary, I think they detract from the overall flow of the program - Weiss's herky-jerky stops and starts on the blades. Yuk!

Looks as though Weiss is doing everything he can to add as many unusual moves to his future-professional repertoire.

Lisa

On the Ice
You've got a point .... Maybe - and this is only a guess - he was looking for a trademark. Plush has got his Bielmann spin, Yags his footwork, and people will always remember (ex: Cohen/Kwan/Joubert include "Yagudin-footwork" into their programs).

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
When was the last time anything this innovative has appeared in the line of figure skating blades or boots? Yeah, I know most fans can't stand him, but I say "kudos" to Michael Weiss for at least trying something new..........42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
When was the last time anything this innovative has appeared in the line of figure skating blades or boots? Yeah, I know most fans can't stand him, but I say "kudos" to Michael Weiss for at least trying something new..........42

*high fives Show*

Mike isn't going to be an Alexei Yagudin, or a Kurt Browning, or a Yevgeni Plushenko. He knows that.

Funny how people can't stand Mike but he's in more conversations than most of the top skaters... maybe he's got something going ;)

merfsk8s

Rinkside
If Michael Weiss is going to use those blades - then he needs to do some really stellar moves on them and hold them for some period of time. As it was last season (and maybe he was still nervous about how the judges would react) he hardly did anything that different or spectacular w/the blades and when he did a unique move or two - like the sort-of spread eagle on the backs of his blades - he'd hold it for about 1/2 a millisecond. What was the point of making a big deal about the blades if they aren't going to help your skating either technically or artistically - and, I didn't see that they did either for his skating.

He desperately wants to be a big name in skating - it seems he desires legend status in a big way, but he doesn't seem to realize that he doesn't necessarily have to be flashy to become a legend. If he'd just focus on technique and expression and put out some clean, breathtaking programs - instead of doing gymnastics on ice or TRYING so hard to be unique - he could become something really special - an excellent skater. As it is, he's like a sideshow act...

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I agree completely, Merfsk8s! I think Mike is missing the whole point. You actually have to MASTER the basic skating skills (like landing the jumps) before you need to start worrying about trademark, innovative moves. I tend to be hard on Weiss. I will say I think he is a pleasant skater with a nice style. BUT....he needs to deliver the goods and quit playing the press and mind games.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think Mike should spend some time viewing roller skating competitions. Moves on the back wheels have been done for years. Mike should watch, learn, and try them on his freedom blades.

dpp

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
that roller skating thing might be something....

I thought basic skating skills were control of the blade, not jumps?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
ToniChelle,

I meant "basics" in a sarcastic way. I view even semi-consistent jumping ability a standard and basic of skating today. Mike, as of late, isn't even semi-consistent. I just find the idea of trying to invent new moves ridiculous if you aren't properly focused and successful with the ones that count. I think he needs to get the triple axel under control before he starts to worry about signature moves or even the quads. But, having said that, it would be nice to see him finally pull it all together and go out with a set of clean performances (triple axel and all!). Whatever happend to the "Mike Pike"? Anybody else remember that? Seems he might have given that one up.

toutestgrace

Rinkside
Are there any moves performed off the heel that are attractive? I can't picture it. So far, it just looks like a gimmick that doesn't even fit with the rest of the program.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
ToniChelle,

I'm not sure, but I know he used the "Mike Pike" in the late 90s sometime. I didn't really pay that much attention to him last year.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Considering Michael is a former Olympian, three times U.S. Champion, and twice World Bronze medalist, I think it's safe to say that he's "pulled it all together" a few times in the past. Sure, he's had bad press and has been known to be opinionated, so are a lot of other people in the limelight. Give the guy a break. He's an arrogant, talented figure skater, not a mass murderer...42

mmandel

On the Ice
Lisa said:
You've got a point .... Maybe - and this is only a guess - he was looking for a trademark. Plush has got his Bielmann spin, Yags his footwork, and people will always remember (ex: Cohen/Kwan/Joubert include "Yagudin-footwork" into their programs).

I have to agree with Lisa - he needs a trade mark. I also think it's a marketing ploy between Mike & the Freedom Blades company. Mike gets their money & Mike markets their goods. But wait...I haven't heard that other skaters use the Freedom Blades. How's the company still in business. :laugh:

ladybug

On the Ice
Maybe Mike is being paid to endorse the Freedom Blade. Who knows, maybe he had something to do with the Inventing of the blade. I find it strange that the ISU would approve such a blade. They have so many rules but nothing on this.

I have seen Mike perform live and he really utilizes the Freedom Blade at COI. Nothing wrong with a skater trying something new and trying to make skating more interesting. Most skaters just copy each other at least Mike has come up with a new blade and now a new back flip.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Let me start off by saying that when I watch Mikey skate and don't think about his big mouth, he's actually quite a good skater. He's got nice artistry and presentation. He can sell a routine to a crowd. But the times he's been able to do that have been in shows (COI and Hallmark).

ITA with everyone who says he needs to pull it together in competition to become a legend. Yes, he has world and national titles, but if he's gotten any of those in clean, well-skated competitions, please let me know. While there is something to being less bad than everyone else, it would be nice if he won because he actually skated well.

Lose the freedom blades for competition, learn a triple axel, forget the quad lutz, make sure you can land the triple lutz in the short program, and then we can talk about legends...

Laura :)

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
PrincessLeppard said:

Lose the freedom blades for competition, learn a triple axel, forget the quad lutz, make sure you can land the triple lutz in the short program, and then we can talk about legends...

Laura :)

Pretty much

Mike is Mike. He's at an age of doing what he wants. I with him on whatever.

In the meantime, how would you like a skate blade changed so that the toe rake would allow for a spin on top? Think of the variations a skater would have.

Joe

Sk8harvest

Rinkside
Mike and the Freedom Blades

I enjoy many aspects of Mike's skating, I think he has some charisma and style. But I agree that he hasn't done anything particularly interesting with the freedom blades. Someone said he interrupts the flow of his program when he throws in that spreadeagle on his heels - I agree. I would love to see him focus on landing his jumps consistently and cleanly, even if he has to forget about the quad and the freedom blades for a while.