Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2008 BC SummerSkate

Custom Title

2008 BC SummerSkate

The number two skater in Canada is beaten by an unknown American skater. I keep being impressed by Mira's progress. Her skating skills are really good now and she has impressive speed and top notch spins. Is it just that the Americans are way ahead of the Canadians? I believe the Americans also came first and second in other levels, as well, at this week's competition.

Custom Title
    Do you have the American skater's name?

Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post
    I keep being impressed by Mira's progress. Her skating skills are really good now and she has impressive speed and top notch spins.
    Mira appreciates your continued support and good wishes.

Custom Title
    Its the training season. What's the American's name already!

Custom Title
    I'm not exactly sure what the big deal is. She's been beaten by lots of Americans in the past on the GP series.

To answer the question: the American skater is Laney Diggs, coached by Frank Carroll.

More interesting to me is that Cecylia Witkowski, a relatively obscure Canadian junior skater, was only about one point behind Mira in the short program. (Mira didn't skate the long program). Mira has some work to do - but as flying camel pointed out, it is the training season.

Custom Title
    BTW, Laney Diggs finished 20th and last at 2008 US Nationals. So Canada's #2 lady was beaten in BC by US #20. In her SP, Mira fell on the 3F and underrotated the 2A (as usual).

But the other top Canadian skaters who competed at the Quebec championship didn't do too much better, and some of them were worse.

Cynthia Phaneuf fell on both 3Z and 3F in her SP. Joannie Rochette popped the 3F (so no combo) and doubled the lutz. Joannie didn't do the FS, but Cynthia did, and she was unable to land either 3Z or 3F. Myriane Samson didn't land one triple jump in her FS. Doesn't look as if these 3 ladies headed for Skate Canada are anywhere near ready, and Skate Canada is just a little over 2 months away.
    Last edited by chuckm; 08-19-2008 at 01:28 AM.

Figure Skater Music Editor singerskates's Avatar
    Windsor, ON CAN, at WFCU Centre for Spring Skating School
    A lot can happen in 2 months. Joannie hasn't been around much to train doing shows and stuff for most of the summer and spring. Joannie should get it together by the time Skate Canada comes around. She's a quick study but not an instant study. I'm better that Joannie had her program for a week or two before competing.

And even if Joannie doesn't do as well as I'd hope she would do at Skate Canada, she could do a Jeffery Buttle and end up winning the World title. But anyone has the chance with the COP to do anything at any time. That's what I love about COP, it's not a given but it's a much fairer marking system that the secretive 6.0 system. It's whatever each competitor brings out on competition day at each competition. Each time you start out fresh. No giving skaters free points just because they were world champion the year before or 3 years ago. The skaters are in the drivers seat with COP/IJS/CPC.

Custom Title
    Perhaps this thread could be retitled "2008 BC SummerSkate" and moved to the "National Events (Worldwide)" forum?

Results link (includes detailed protocols):
    http://www.skatinginbc.com/Content/C...%20Results.asp

Senior Ladies SP results: http://www.skatinginbc.com/Images/co...008/SWSRS.html
    Senior Ladies SP protocols (currently posted at the wrong link): http://www.skatinginbc.com/Images/co...008/SWSSD.html

Best excuse and I am not being facetious: It's early in the season. Good luck to Mira in future comps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what the big deal is. She's been beaten by lots of Americans in the past on the GP series.

To answer the question: the American skater is Laney Diggs, coached by Frank Carroll.

More interesting to me is that Cecylia Witkowski, a relatively obscure Canadian junior skater, was only about one point behind Mira in the short program. (Mira didn't skate the long program). Mira has some work to do - but as flying camel pointed out, it is the training season.
    Cecylia has been assigned a JGP. She skated 2 solid programs in BC with good levels and PCS scores but salchow and toe are her only 2 triples so expect her short program score to go down a lot when she does her JGP. But at least she is consistent with what she has. She scored 49.48 in the short and 81.52 in the long for a total of 131.00. However I think that those marks look inflated given her technical content and she still popped one of her 2 axels in the long.

The most disappointing skate in BC was the free skate of the JGP-bound Rika Inoda in junior ladies. She won the free but only with a score of 58.69 which is very low indeed. No protocols are up yet for junior ladies but that score suggests no triples at all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by singerskates View Post
    And even if Joannie doesn't do as well as I'd hope she would do at Skate Canada, she could do a Jeffery Buttle and end up winning the World title. But anyone has the chance with the COP to do anything at any time. That's what I love about COP, it's not a given but it's a much fairer marking system that the secretive 6.0 system. It's whatever each competitor brings out on competition day at each competition. Each time you start out fresh. No giving skaters free points just because they were world champion the year before or 3 years ago. The skaters are in the drivers seat with COP/IJS/CPC.
    Ah, but Buttle had won multiple World medals and an Olympic medal before he won the Championship. Joannie is not in the same league as Jeff, who had always received very high PCS scores even when he didn't skate well because he has a gift for interpreting music that Joannie has never had. Joannie is a strong, athletic skater, but she has yet to impress the judges because she just can't seem to skate two clean programs. Not being quite ready for the season is not going to change the ISU's impression of her.
    Last edited by chuckm; 08-19-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    The most disappointing skate in BC was the free skate of the JGP-bound Rika Inoda in junior ladies. She won the free but only with a score of 58.69 which is very low indeed. No protocols are up yet for junior ladies but that score suggests no triples at all.
    Jr. Ladies FS protocols currently can be found at the "Junior Ladies Short" link: http://www.skatinginbc.com/Images/co...008/JWFSD.html
    Inoda landed 3S+2T and 3T+2T but had downgrades on her 3F, 3Lo and 3S.

Custom Title
    Here's a summary article about the young U.S. skaters at BC SummerSkate: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    There are also 2 photo galleries of backstage Team USA shots on Icenetwork.

BC SummerSkate was one of 3 "Developmental Internationals" for U.S. skaters this year (along with Triglav Trophy in Slovenia back in the spring and COS Thornhill last weekend) -- for more info on this USFS program:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Ah, but Buttle had won multiple World medals and an Olympic medal before he won the Championship.
    Multiple World medals? One silver (2005) in what was probably the worst Worlds in quite a few years.

I enjoy Joannie's skating and am glad that we get to see a lady out there among the young girls. I don't know what's lacking in her skating - perhaps the wow-factor. Her jumps are alright, her spins are alright, her skating skills are alright... The Buttle-comparision works to some extend, because IMO there is nothing really wow about Buttle's programs - except for his outstanding musicality. And that makes perhaps the difference - after seeing Joannie I think, oh, that spin was okay, the Salchow was nice, footwork was alright... With Buttle it is often that through his musicality the program seems to belong together, all his good elements come together and create something whole and really enjoyable (though it rarely grips me as Lambiel's, Weir's, Joubert's or even Verner's programs do). And I remember Buttle's programs, I can't remember any of Joannie's though. All of this is of course just my opinion ;-)
    Last edited by Medusa; 08-19-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added a Disclaimer

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    BTW, Laney Diggs finished 20th and last at 2008 US Nationals. So Canada's #2 lady was beaten in BC by US #20. In her SP, Mira fell on the 3F and underrotated the 2A (as usual).
    Laney's combined score of 139.88 is no suprise given her personal best of 140.10. You're shortchanging her if you only judge her based on her performance at Nationals.

Since the USFS gave Laney the Summmerskate assignment, it will be really odd if they overlook her performance. And beating Mira is better than medaling at Gardena, right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast