Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Irina: Please! No more head-grabbing opera heroines!

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Lisa

Second, Yagudins technical skating doesn't suffer because of them - on the contrary, Morozov and TT succeeded in creating a perfect harmony between the steps and the sword play arm movements.
    Third, Yagudin is able to execute difficult steps and arm movements at the same time, and he acts well (even more so in his "Gladiator" LP).
    Your thoughts?
    ITA. Thats why Yagudin made Morozov's footwork hiswon. Why other skaters appears just mimic mechanically. They don't have the same level of technique skill as Yagudin has.

Rinkside
    Lisa and Mzhang,

I agree with both of you. The sword/knife fightings in Alexie's last two LPs are not simple acting or arm movement. They are always combined with difficult footwork. And he executed with such presicion. It added to his tech difficulty, not just presentation.

It bothered me when skaters do a lot of arm movements that are isolated from the rest of the body, eg. Irina's hair grabbing, and Plushy's flashy and abrupt arm movements. When they do these moves, they are either standing or doing simple cross-over. These movements are put there just for the drama. That's what I would call "pure acting".

Lisa - Ok, after thinking more about it. I have to agree. The sword play was really getting into the essence of the Gladiator's character, not the whole 3 hour acting job. However, I still think Yagudin could win without that nuance.

When you think of it, picture the Gladiator doing a quad or Tosca doing a Triple loop. It doesn't work both ways.

Joe

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    However, I still think Yagudin could win without that nuance.

When you think of it, picture the Gladiator doing a quad or Tosca doing a Triple loop. It doesn't work both ways.

Joe
    Of course he could! :D

Mmmmmmm ..... you mean Montserrat Caballé doing a 3A/3L wouldn't work??????

Custom Title
    Mathman - I guess we should ask Ottavio Cinquanta to include "realism" among the criteria for CoP. Still no 6.0 - but lots of points! :D

kay - What you said about Plushy - I couldn't agree more. In his case, it distracts from his truely excellent skating. IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2