Lee Ann Miller - Is she the greatest Pairs choreographer? | Golden Skate

Lee Ann Miller - Is she the greatest Pairs choreographer?

Check this out and get a glimpse of McL/Bru's LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-oI-HAcYdU

Lee Ann is remarkabled, imo. The choreo is all there.

The skaters: It's still got the rough edges but by GP Finals (I think they will make it) there will be medals, but they are skating in a field of tried and true teams of many years now. Vancouver will be on the dark side of maybe, imo.

Based on this glimpse, I wouldn't be surprised for a podium finish at GPF. They are fresh, fast, and unexpectedly have excellent rapport.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I was privileged to watch Keauna McLaughlin/Rockne Brubaker's debut of their "West Side Story" free skate (choreographed by Lea Ann Miller) in person at the Indy Pairs Challenge club competition earlier this month (video link posted above) -- it was very exciting!

I just created an Indy Challenge competition thread in the "National Events (Worldwide)" forum and posted links to results, articles, photos and more home videos (not mine): http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23286

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks so much for that link. I would not go as far as to say she is the best choreographer ever. I think what made that program so great was Keauna and Rockne's chemistry together, the way they looked the parts, the costumes, the fact that she NAILED everything especially that throw loop at the end. WOW. am i right that there was only one throw though?

Still. a back loaded program. i see a lot of extra points there. I loved the mirror steps into the side by side 3 toes. I liked the lasso lift to "maria." They will really need to skate the step sequence with more speed and conviction, but it will take getting used to first.

lcd

Match Penalty
***... it's Lea Ann Miller

Her choreography has certainly helped bring teams with all the "technical" goods... to that next level. Her choice of music - while not novel or unusual like, say, David Wilson - is always tremendously effective. Whether it be Turandot for Shen & Zhao, or now West Side Story for McL & Brub.... we've certainly heard them plenty of times before, but the "fit" of the music is so clearly right, the choreography brings out the emotions underlying the relationships, and very very importantly, it reflects her experience IMO working with professionals, who skate "performances" for the audience... she understands what will "work" and what the audience 'wants to see.' Greatest? that's always a tough one... but "great!"... I would say, for sure.

***... it's Lea Ann Miller

Her choreography has certainly helped bring teams with all the "technical" goods... to that next level. Her choice of music - while not novel or unusual like, say, David Wilson - is always tremendously effective. Whether it be Turandot for Shen & Zhao, or now West Side Story for McL & Brub.... we've certainly heard them plenty of times before, but the "fit" of the music is so clearly right, the choreography brings out the emotions underlying the relationships, and very very importantly, it reflects her experience IMO working with professionals, who skate "performances" for the audience... she understands what will "work" and what the audience 'wants to see.' Greatest? that's always a tough one... but "great!"... I would say, for sure.
I agree. Greatest was used to get attention. I was not the biggest fan of S&Z until she gave them Turandot, and despite his injured ankle, their Nutcracker Pas de Deux was equal to the ballet. If you notice, her choreo is all dance steps including the tricks. Everything is with the music. No need to sell it to the audience. S&Z have maintained that. We'll see how McL/Bru do it in the GP Finals which I think they will make.

lcd

Match Penalty
S/Z's Turandot program had one of the great strategic endings... the entire final 30 seconds was like a protacted primal scream/entangling bow... matching the music perfectly... the audience was already on their feet with 30 seconds to go, and even the final pose that was chosen captured everything that had built up before it. I think Rockne has a similar level of energy/magnetism to his movements and would expect Lea Ann's choreography to utilize that strength to particularly good effect considering the relative lack of such energy/character amongst many of the other top senior men in the world today

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I'm going to be honest, I don't really remember what programs Miller choreographed, so I cannot truthfully judge whether or not she is the best pairs choreographer. If I base my opinion on McL&B's "West Side Story," then heck no. I honestly do not care for that program at all. I may feel differently come Nationals, when it is polished and all, but as of right now, there is very little that I like about WSS. Which is sad to me because I really do like Keauna and Rockne, but I just cannot find much enjoyable about that program. But its more than just the choreo, I don't really like the cuts in the music, either, and I really dislike the costumes (especially hers). Maybe, though, once they get past the stage where they look like they are thinking about every little move, it will look better. Still, the choreography as it stands does nothing to make me deem Miller the best pairs choreographer.

lmarie086

Medalist
As of right now, and I will say that it's most likely because the program still needs some polishing and fine-tuning, this was not my favorite program.
I loved Miller's programs for S&Z (I :love: both Turandot and the Nutcracker), but will wait to see on this one. But as I love this team, I think I'll be won over.

And even so, that was a great skate they put out. Great to see her nail everything.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Well, I loved it. I'm fast becoming a major fan of McL/B, I love their skills and the excitement of their skating...their program last year was spectacular. I admire Lea Ann's choreo...I always admired her back in the day when she skated with Bill Fauver, they were a very nice team. I find her choreography to be so lyrical, like was already mentioned, her choreo is filled with dance steps and I think that's so important to keep a program seamless, whether it be pairs or singles.

WSS is a well-used piece but I really liked it for McL/B...it suits their power and also they are able to emote well despite being a relatively new team. I think this program will age well and they will nail it. Hope to see them as National champs again!