Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michelle on the Today Show

Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    And I have to say that I think Michelle could beat Emily and Bebe blindfolded, and Ashley and Kimmie if she comes back with her old form.
    You are probably right, but if Michelle did try for a comeback, those four skaters would be the least of her worries...

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Ant, as I said, I have not stopped thinking she isn't the greatest skater ever but the CoP says scores will win. MM scores are probably correct but the sources are from judges who have always carried MK in the past - even to the secret test for the Olys. With Sasha Cohen's best scores, wouldn't she be on that list? and I don't think her PB would give her an easy time at 2009 US Nats.

I'm just being realistic about a great skater who hasn't really skated for some time now. I would love to be wrong, but realistically, I think I am correct.
    No no, don't get me wrong i agree with what you wrote but i was just surprised that on the list of PBs Michelle's was as high as it was. Obviously that PB came from a COP competition, albeit not nationals. No doubt, some of those scores related to skaters in juniors who from memory are missing a couple of elements, therefore the score would be higher but given what we saw of Michelle under COP i didn't think she'd be anywhere near the top let alone second. I suspect MM left Sasha off the list because she doesn't seem to be talking of any comebacks, though i'm sure her PB would sit at the top of the list.

In reality i don't think she will come back, if she does i will cheers her on and enjoy whatever competitive program she gives us. In all likelihood her body would give out before she managed to compete - that's what happened last time.

Ant

Michelle competed only once under the new judging system. That was 2005 Worlds, so of course that is her "personal best" under the CoP. She finished fourth.

Rachael Flatt's best score was at 2008 Junior Worlds. Caroline Zhang's personal best came at the 2008 Grand Prix final, Mirai Nagasu's was at 2007 Junior Worlds, and Ashley Wagner's top score was at 2007 Eric Bompard. All of them scored much higher at 2008 U.S. Nationals.

Sasha is still number three on the all-time list. In 2003, the first year of the CoP, Sasha ruled the roost on the Grand Prix circuit. She scored 198.06 at Skate Canada. The next year the ISU tweaked the scoring system and scores dropped dramatically for a couple of years.

Number one on the list is Mao Asada, 199.52 at 2006 NHK in Japan and number two is Irina Slutskaya, 2005 Cup of Russia.

Kimmie Meissner is the highest ranking active U.S. skater in terms of personal best. 189.87 at 2006 Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    In reality i don't think she will come back, ...
    Ant
    As likely as Mathman not posting on a thread that has the name Michelle in it.

I'm kind of surprised when she said that. I didn't think that she would come back. I am really surprised. I am afraid OGM would be very difficult for her. I am also afraid that I am doubtful if she could make the team. But saying it on TV is a big thing. Perhaps she would have thought about it a lot before saying so.

Loving pairs, dance and figure skating mycelticblessing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    I think all athletes need closure (I know I do). Kwan was never able to give us a proper goodbye and might still want do a final competition to close out her career.
    I would love to see her skate in a final competition. It would be like Silvia Fontana's skate in Turin, when its no longer about her placement, or medals. But just skating for herself and for the audience who adores her.

What would really be great, is if she got to skate to Rachmaninov's Prelude in C# Minor. It's such a pity that she wasn't able to perform to it in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I'm kind of surprised when she said that. I didn't think that she would come back. I am really surprised.... But saying it on TV is a big thing. Perhaps she would have thought about it a lot before saying so.
    Well, what she said on TV was that she admires Dara Torres, that attending the Olympic games got her excited about sports again, that her main priority is school, that she would like to continue her work with the State Department, that she feels like "something is missing" from her medal collection and she hasn't closed any doors about the future.

Pretty thin gruel for speculation either by fans or by skeptics, IMHO.

I would love to see Michelle in a final competition. Her Turin programs were reported as being competitive and I'd love to see her perform them. Even if she doesn't win, it would be something to see.

Also, as far as it promoting figure skating, ticket sales would likely soar. The year she replaced Sarah Hughes at Skate America, sales doubled within hours of the announcement. The networks would promote it like crazy and I'm pretty sure viewship would go up.

So, there's lots of bonuses to Michelle returning to competition - even if it is only a farewell.

Custom Title
    I cant see Michelle coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, what she said on TV was that she admires Dara Torres, that attending the Olympic games got her excited about sports again, that her main priority is school, that she would like to continue her work with the State Department, that she feels like "something is missing" from her medal collection and she hasn't closed any doors about the future.

Pretty thin gruel for speculation either by fans or by skeptics, IMHO.

Then was that some kind of suggestive lip service to make the show more appealing to the audience?

Rinkside
    I wish I could see her in competition again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Then was that some kind of suggestive lip service to make the show more appealing to the audience?
    It is possible that the television people told her to say something about the 2010 Olympics. But I don't think so. For one thing the interviewer was not well prepared for the segment, fumbling with her notes thoughout.

The last time Michelle was on the Today show, in the summer of 2006, she chose that forum to announce that she would try for the Turin games. The Today show hosts were paying so little attention that they didn't realize that she had made an announcement, and just went on with, "well,when you make up your mind we wish you the best. .. hey wait an mninute, what did you just say?"

I think this interview was just Michelle being Michelle. Smile pretty and tell them no more than you want them to know.

Ynkgraceonice,welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining us.

Quote Originally Posted by ynkgraceonice View Post
    I wish I could see her in competition again.
    This brings to question what was her last skating "appearance" anyway? Was it the 2007 COI tour?

Michelle's last 'competition' was Dec 2005 in the vote-in compeititon. She was in the top2 even though she had just resumed training and was clearly not in shape.

Also, according to Wikipedia, she last skated for COI in 2006 and then had surgery.

I think she has gotten on the ice when she went to China as a public diplomacy envoy, but it may have just been skating around with the kids - not a performance.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Michelle's last 'competition' was Dec 2005 in the vote-in compeititon. She was in the top2 even though she had just resumed training and was clearly not in shape.
    Not only in the top two, she won!

That is, she won the fans' vote. The "judges" (Dick Button, Peggy Fleming and Peter Curruthers) all went with Sasha.
    Also, according to Wikipedia, she last skated for COI in 2006 and then had surgery.
    Poor thing, she could hardly walk without support, much less skate. She was not able to take part hardly at all in the opening and closing group numbers, and her solo had no jumps.
    I think she has gotten on the ice when she went to China as a public diplomacy envoy, but it may have just been skating around with the kids - not a performance.
    She definitely worked with some kids on ice in her last trip, the one to Argentina. Reports from both Denver and EWIP say that she is skating a little more and doing some doubles, up to double Axel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast