Thread: Triple Toe Walley

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Here is a very simple explanation of the Walley jump:

http://figureskating.about.com/od/gl...w/g/Walley.htm

The Walley is one of my favorite jumps.

Here is a video of Kurt Browning who is a master of the Walley jump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgNbG0MiE84
    T
    Thanks LadSkater for the clip. I wasn't around during that period of time.

Browning v. Curry in a competion would be hard pressed to pick a winner. Kurt's opening spiral was super. The 'tricks' were a part of the overall dance, and dancing to a Tarantela on skates can not be the easiest music to use. I didn't really notice any walleys. At about a 5th of the tape, they looked like loop jumps.

btw, has anyone seen a Tarantella by dance couples?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Believe it or not, Faiella & Scali's OD last year was a pizzica, which is a variety of tarantella.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Believe it or not, Faiella & Scali's OD last year was a pizzica, which is a variety of tarantella.
    That was easily my favorite OD last year (as in "I enjoyed it the most" as opposed to "had the best construction" or "was skated the best")

[QUOTE=dorispulaski;329355]
    At about the 4:40 mark, Elaine (Zayak: mafke) does a single walley, followed by a triple toe walley double loop. Unfortunately, the quality of the clip does not make it that easy to see the edge. ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYccx...=related<br />

Many thanks for that link. Now, after watching it approximately 12,348,729 times*, I can say the following:

1. the walley does take off from an inside edge (shallow, but inside)

2. the "triple toe walley" seems, in fact, to be a plain old triple toe loop preceded by a LFO three and a change of foot to a RBO edge (as opposed to a RFI three approach for a 'typical' toe loop from a counterclockwise skater). This is the same approach Kwan had as the first jump in her 3t3t combo.
    Crucially, even if she goes from the LBI edge to a RBI edge the direction of rotation is clearly counter-clockwise through the entire sequence which means even if she's momentarily on a RBI edge, she shouldn't be unless she takes off from a standstill (which she doesn't ) or changes the direction of rotation (which she doesn't, how can you skate clockwise on a RBI edge while swinging your free leg around for the toe pick to jump counterclockwise?).

So, barring further evidence the "triple toe walley" seems (as I've always understood) to be a modified entrance for a triple toe loop rather than a true toe walley (for which a triple version is exceedingly unlikely).

*12,348,729 might be an exaggerated figure .... but only a slight one
    Last edited by Mafke; 09-02-2008 at 05:03 AM. Reason: spelign

[QUOTE=Mafke;330433]
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    So, barring further evidence the "triple toe walley" seems (as I've always understood) to be a modified entrance for a triple toe loop rather than a true toe walley (for which a triple version is exceedingly unlikely).

*12,348,729 might be an exaggerated figure .... but only a slight one
    The toe walley came late in the figure skating originals. There was only the Walley which one could nowadays say it was a wrong edge loop jump take off. However, the definition of a Walley is to take off on a back inside edge so no wrong edge loop jump is involved.

The Toe Walley, as like other 'toe off' jumps', is to assist the skater in executing a walley. It's basically doing a toe loop but from a back inside edge. More difficult than a toe loop but much less difficult than a genuine walley. There is a big difficerence in doing a Walley and a Toe Walley.

When one thinks of the Lutz which is a 'toe-off' jump, it is much easier than if a skater would be doing the jump without a toe-off. still, a difficult jump with or without a toe-off.

Landing my axel..............again skatergirl45's Avatar
    I am still trying to figure this out. I go into my double toe with an outside 3 turn and then step on the other foot's inside edge. Would that be considered a double toe walley because of the entrance?????

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl45 View Post
    I am still trying to figure this out. I go into my double toe with an outside 3 turn and then step on the other foot's inside edge. Would that be considered a double toe walley because of the entrance?????
    Yeah, I think you do understand it.
    If I got this right. You are apparently using a bit of footwork for your entrance. From your boe after the 3 turn you've put your other foot down in a bie and with your foot from the 3 turn you toe-off and turn an air rotation toward the toe-off side.

I am sure that is complicated to read, Try this: Get on a back inside edge anyway that it is comfortable for you. Do the same as you would for a toe-loop but don't rock over to a back outside edge. Jump and land as you would for the toe-loop. And the Walley is the same without the toe-off.

Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl45 View Post
    If you are truly taking off the BI edge, yes. If you flip the edge back over to an outer, it's a toe loop

Landing my axel..............again skatergirl45's Avatar
    Thank you! Every thing makes sense now...................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2