Votes: 25 44.6%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I haven't seen it

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters

icenut84

Final Flight
Who did you think deserved to win this one? For me, it was Abt all the way. Yagudin just made too many mistakes, and Abt skated beautifully and completely cleanly - I'd say it was probably the performance of his life. He also had a very musical programme, and is a very good skater technically, despite his inconsistencies (usually through injuries).

So who would you have given it to?

Last edited:

curious

Final Flight
Poor Abt won the comp but they gave it to Yags. According to Yags press conference his bad performance was Plush's fault for not competiting there. Funny guy:D

just another case of judges 'holding up' someone for whatever reason. there was no question about it. Abt won!

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Sasha, for sure. I just could not believe Yags won that competition with such a sub-par performance. I guess it goes to show you that there is biased judging even when skaters come from the same country--it's not just an "east vs. west" problem.:eek: :rolleye:

sk8guy2k2

On the Ice
I recall that Yags had so many mistakes, but Abt just had a 2foot landing on one of his jumps. I would have given it to Abt, no doubt about it

icenut84

Final Flight
sk8guy2k2 said:
I recall that Yags had so many mistakes, but Abt just had a 2foot landing on one of his jumps. I would have given it to Abt, no doubt about it

Robin Cousins (Brit commentator) thought that he might have touched down with his free toe on his first triple axel, but if he did it was so slight that you couldn't even tell for sure on the slow-mo replay. It wasn't a 2 footed jump, any way you look at it. Just clarifying.

Sadie

On the Ice
Geez, where was I during Euros?? How did I manage to miss it? Well, I usually enjoy Yagudin more than Abt, but since I didn't see what happened.....

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Going against the majority here... I think Yagudin won rightly. Yes, he made mistakes and Abt skated a superb pogram, but you can't compare the difficulty between the two programs. A program isn't just jumps and I think Abt's program was easier and actually emptier in terms of content.

Many times the judges put a performance with flaws over a clean one and there are reasons behind that. Plushenko also skated pretty bad at Worlds and he still deserved to win, even though Goebel had probably one of the best skates of his life that night (at least to me).

IMHO.

shine

Record Breaker
It was Abt all the way. This is another reason why the 6.0 system needs to go. The judges will have to base their marks on each individual element and can never get away with holding up certain skaters for "unknown" reasons.

windspirit

On the Ice
I already voted, but I didn't comment... I haven't seen it, so I don't know. From what I've read (here and on other boards; in the newspapers, etc.) I'd go with Abt, but I do know of a few people who first felt that Abt was robbed, but after reviewing the programs carefully they changed their minds.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted haven't seen it. That is the one competition I don't have of Alexei. I know that many times on this board that same competitin has been brought up.

I like what RIskatingfan had to say about the competition. I think it might be on the same line as Campbell's last year between Weiss and Alexei.

Dee

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I saw it live.

The mistakes of Alexei weren't all that aparent Live, not like on TV where they harp on the mistakes and show 2 foot landing over and over again in close up and slo-mo. Yes, a flaw or two was evident, but over all it was an exciting and energetic program with interesting choreo that kept you on the edge of your seat.

Abt, though clean, was a big ole bore live. Nowhere near the excitement or intensity of Yags. It was more like, "oh, how nice for him that he could finally skate clean. Next."

It continuously amazes me that people would have placed him over Yags.

curious

Final Flight
I guess that's what happens when Plushy is not competiting with Alexei. It would have been a completely different story but Abt was better and like I said he deserved the gold.

Lisa

On the Ice
I totally agree with RIskatingfan, though, as far as I can tell, Abt skated at his best that evening, I've never seen him better.
If one just compares the two FS, there was a less impressive but clean program vs. a very impressive program with slight mistakes. So IMO both could have won. But a competition does not consist of FS only, there are the Sps too, and Yags Sp was ways better than Abts. No doubt about it.
As a result, I would have put Yags over Abt, too.

icenut84

Final Flight
Lisa said:
But a competition does not consist of FS only, there are the Sps too, and Yags Sp was ways better than Abts. No doubt about it.
As a result, I would have put Yags over Abt, too.

But the other performances (qualifying and short) are not really a factor in this, as whoever of the two won the free would have won the gold, I believe.