Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bebe Liang out of Golden West

Custom Title
    Such a shame. I hope the injury is not too serious. I was really looking forward to seeing her in the GP events this year. She is one I think will be a major US contender in couple of years, plus she is an adorable kid.

Defender of over-the-hill decrepit skaters
    Okay, before people start panicking, no one's saying Bebe definitely ISN'T skating in the GP. She's still got 10 or 11 weeks until her first GP event so if her current injury is minor, it should be healed up and her hip perfectly fine by the time the comp rolls around. She's just not skating in the Golden West comp this week.

Re: Bebe Liang out of Golden West

Originally posted by maxell1313
    Someone on the SkateFans list said she's withdrawn due to a "minor hip injury". <snip>
    Once again, another talented skater out because of the demand for more 3/3 and quad jumps. Stupid, stupid, stupid!
    As the orginal source of the injury report, I find the above to be way over the top. What part of "minor" do you not understand? Don't people realize that Goldenwest is simply a local club competition? She's a little sore - THAT'S IT!

Skaters withdraw from club competitions due to injury all the time. Juveniles who couldn't do a double Axel to save their lives get hurt all the time. It is the nature of athletic competition. It is ignorant, foolish, and potentially damaging to a skater's career to make the leaps of logic such as what is being done here and in other forums. Sheesh. I guess next time I'll say she slipped on a banana peel.

Custom Woman
    Last year at Jr. Worlds Bebe skated her LP on a seriously injured and very painful hip. The commentators applauded her "guts." I shook my head and thought, "Here's another skater with incredible potential who may never realize it.

As for comments about Tara and how she put in the 3/3 just so she'd win and be "the popular one" but it didn't work out that way, I think it misrepresents Tara's situation. Tara was the first ladies skater to do a very difficult 3/3--the 3lp/3lp. She was also very young when she perfected it -- 14, 15. At that time, NOBODY, not coaches, not skaters, nobody knew the damage that doing 3/3s could wreak. Tara has been criticized a lot for a comment she made in an interview when she said, "I was practicing like 50 3/3s a day." Greedy Tara, some said. I say, Where was her coach, Richard Callaghan, to say, "Tara, you're overtraining the 3lp/3lp. You're risking injury." She was 14 and a bundle of energy for gosh sakes! Sure her hip started hurting but it's ingrained in elite athletes to "work through the pain." A little pain now, then I'll rest it and it after the Olympics and I'm sure it will get better. Even after the Olympics when she was in constant unbearable pain, it took doctors several years to diagnose the hip problem.

I'd like to propose a moratorium on "It's Tara's own greedy fault" posts. Tara was the first to be able to do a skill that turned out to be much more dangerous than it looked. Nobody is saying Yagudin's hip injury is his "own greedy fault" for doing all those 4s and 4/3s. Tara was doing what athletes are told to do: push yourself to your limits and beyond.

Every skater who gets to Worlds and the Olympics has winning as their one and only focus, especially if they go into the Olympics as World Champion. She did not get good advice from her coach or the other training staff. As I understand it, Callaghan concentrated on Todd Eldredge since it was really his last shot at an Olympic medal and Tara was mostly left on her own to train.

Tara is not a bad person. She has good values. She does charity work. She has suffered incredibly for being the first woman to consistenly land a 3lp/3lp, not only from the pain of the injury, but from the lack of proper diagnosis from the medical profession. Though in some ways you can't blame the doctors. Hip injuries of that kind and severity were never seen in athletes before, especially ones that young.

Tara is going to be either in pain or restricted physically for the rest of her life. She will never be able to skate again at even a professional level, and whatever you feel about Tara, the girl LOVES skating. Michelle has been probably the most beloved skater who ever lived for close to a decade. She's won it all and more, unless you count the OGM--and that determination was in the judges hands, not Tara's. So starting now, how about giving Tara a break on the whole 3/3 and hip thing. You don't have to like her, but you also don't have to diss her every time the subject of ladies' hip injuries comes up. JMO.
    Rgirl

On the Ice
    I enjoy Bebe Liang's skating a lot, and I hope that the reports and speculation about her injury are greatly exaggerated.

It really seems that something needs to be done to prevent young athletes from pushing their bodies to the brink in order to achieve success. This may be a bit off topic, but with the U.S. Open going on right now, women's tennis seems to be echoing these concerns. With the bar being raised in the game in terms of speed and power, the frequency of injury is much greater, and it seems that the top players are singing a different tune. Sure, they all want to win, but in interviews, most players seem to be talking about how weary their bodies are, how difficult it is to cope with the demands of the tour, of playing week in and week out, and how important it is to pace themselves and stay in good physical condition in order to continue playing good tennis.

Perhaps a bit of this mentality needs to be injected into today's figure skaters, especially now that the technical bar in the sport has been raised, and now that, as RGirl says, more is known about the devastating effects of overtraining.

It's a complicated issue, and I'm sure that each skater has his or her own motivations for acheiving success, whether it stems from their own desire to win at all costs, or to create a decent living for their families, or from a general "love of skating", but the health of the skater should definitely come first, because without that, great skating wouldn't be possible.

My question is, what can be done in the sport in general to make skaters' health a main priority? Does the responsibility ultimately lie with parents and coaches? Do training methods need to be changed, i.e. more focus on secure edging and the "basics"? Or does the rulebook need to be changed, in order to make winning possible without the risk of serious injury?

rGirl - You're changing a Bebe thread to a Tara thread. There certainly are good reasons for bringing up Tara. Anytime there is a hip problem, she comes to mind. I think it's because everyone was concerned about her health - even her nonfans! And we all hope to see her find her way in life.

Dave Amorde - Good to hear that report on Bebe's hip! It's no secret that she is my top 2nd tier skater with an outside chance to take the gold in Torino.

EricAba - "My question is, what can be done in the sport, in general, to make skaters' health a main priority?"

good question! I don't think the ISU could make a rule as they did with Elaine Zayak, but I think they could make a what I would call a "Lipinski Warning". It would be there for all skaters, coaches, parents and guardians to read. Whether they take heed, is another matter, but at least the reminder is there. I don't think a rule imposing triples for the junior ladies would work, although that would be a great help. I don't think it affects everyone.

rGirl - You are quite knowldegable in this area. Why is it that young men do not seem to have this problem? (or do they?)

Joe

Custom Title
    Besides I don't think she did the combos to be popular. She did it to win. I just think she thought winning would put her over Michelle popularity wise and it didn't happen. I know it was on her mind and she couldn't understand it. In fact she thinks people hate her. Her words, not mine. I just wonder if winning and ruining her hip was worth it. Tara is a good person as far as I can tell and I did enjoy her skating (although not a fan). She's the only one who I really think was a true rival to Michelle and I miss the girl. Well I think Sasha may be if she gets it together.

Defender of over-the-hill decrepit skaters

Re: Re: Bebe Liang out of Golden West

Originally posted by Dave Amorde
    As the orginal source of the injury report, I find the above to be way over the top. What part of "minor" do you not understand? Don't people realize that Goldenwest is simply a local club competition? She's a little sore - THAT'S IT!
    Dave, pull your head out of your nether-regions and go re-read my original post. The "stupid" part to which I was referring was about the increase in injuries due to younger and younger skaters being required to perform more difficult triples and 3/3 jumps. I fully understand the term "minor" although I question your understanding of basically everything else. You might also want to read the entire thread instead of choosing one post and blowing up. Really.

RGirl, I agree with you that it sould have been Tara's coach who should have put a check on her jumps. That's what the coaches are their for!

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    Rgirl: I'm sorry if you find the criticisms of Tara hurtful, but its her own words that set her up for such criticism. I'm sure you will agree that Tara is a role model for young skaters, and in general, she's a good one; However, to make a direct quote that repetitive jumping gave you a serious injury but "it was worth it" (her words, not mine, I read the publication myself which was produced last year) because you got an Olympic Gold medal is utterly irresponsible and inappropriate. Yeah, its worth it kids, I might be injured and that injury will affect me all my life, but I'm a STAR!!!!! This has nothing to do with her charity work, her work with children and her other fine qualities. Its just one area where she set a really bad example and she doesn't appear to be doing anything to change that.

Maxell, my head isn't up my "nether-regions". I don't know where yours is. I doubt you have any clue what Bebe's training regimen is, what the original cause of her injury was, or anything else about this delightful girl's situation. To use the word "stupid" in any context regarding Bebe Liang is insulting, plain and simple. To say that it is a result of "3-3's and quads" is purely irresponsible conjecture on your part.

Skating Soprano
    Originally posted by Joesitz
    Anka - Shame on you. BeBe is a Sasha wannabe. Total bravura style of skating. I'm hoping the hip problem is no worse than Sasha's was back in 2001.
    I see bebe as dffrent than sasha by a LOT.

Btw, sasha hurt her back, not her hip.

Tripping on the Podium
    I don't get the Bebe and Sasha comparasion either

Custom Title

Tara Dissd

RGirl, I agree it was up to Taras coach and parents to put the limits on the jumping.She wasnt aware at 14 0r 15 that that pain was dangerous. However after surgery and being told by her Dr. to let her hip heal it was her responsibility to listen and follow Drs, orders. She was still in great pain and went back on the ice.However her plight hasnt had any effect on the skating world and these young skaters. The coaches and parents dont seem to protect these younsters from themselves. Injury after injury and they keep going. I think you are right about Michelle and the 3/3 if it causes injury stop. The skating will last a few yrs. the hip injurywill be forever.

lavender, I agree I think Tara thought the OGM would put her over Michelle and rightfully so but what usually goes with the OGM slipped by her and she never was embraced and loved by the General public and the media that went to Michelle. Im sure that hurt her because she did take a back seat when she thought she would be the Star

yazeem,you hit the nail on the head.However I do feel sorry for her she reminds me of the poor little rich girl. Tara still wants to be the star and is riding that medal for all its worth. I would think it would serve her well to go to school or do something she can fall back on. Im not sure how long she can skate and acting is tough to break into. Many skaters have gone to school or aregoing now, good mature thinking.

Joesitz, I also think Tara is fading and will be a footnot in a book as the youngest OGM champ. Does present a sad story

Go NJ Devils
    Originally posted by Smiley0884
    I don't get the Bebe and Sasha comparasion either
    They and Tara Lipinski are very short, very motivated people with a lot of energy, drive, and ambition?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast