Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 76

Thread: Finlandia Trophy

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    202

    Finlandia Trophy

    When is it?

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,402
    2008 Finlandia Trophy is Oct. 9-12 -- link to the official site:
    http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/

    USFS published their entries on their International Assignments page today -- they are: Danielle Kahle [S12 at 2008 Nationals], Shaun Rogers [S8], and Navarro/Bommentre [S3].

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    USFS published their entries on their International Assignments page today -- they are: Danielle Kahle [S12 at 2008 Nationals], Shaun Rogers [S8], and Navarro/Bommentre [S3].
    Can someone give me the link please??
    I cannot find it.

  4. #4
    Sestriere 1999 ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Meli_Huber View Post
    Can someone give me the link please??
    I cannot find it.
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216
    As you can see, it's in the Athletes section of the USFS site.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216
    As you can see, it's in the Athletes section of the USFS site.
    Thank you!

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    345
    I didn't understand why USFS decided to send Navarro/Brommente to Finlandia, since they're US Bronze medalists and were assigned two senior GP. This is a senior B event. USFS should have sent the younger teams for international experience than sending the veteran there. Due to budget cut, many young teams have no chance to do any international competitions.

  7. #7
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,127
    samba, I agree with you. It isn't like N&B trained in Finland or Russia and were close by.

    But I'm very happy that Shaun Rogers is getting an assignment. Shaun's skating was rather in the doldrums last year. However, he skated well at Liberty this year, and I'm glad he's getting an international assignment. I even liked the programs' music and choreo, something that hasn't happened for me with Shaun in the past:

    SP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBz0MrAZDTw
    LP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_86VGAR_rvI

  8. #8
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    I didn't understand why USFS decided to send Navarro/Brommente to Finlandia, since they're US Bronze medalists and were assigned two senior GP. This is a senior B event. USFS should have sent the younger teams for international experience than sending the veteran there. Due to budget cut, many young teams have no chance to do any international competitions.
    That is weird especially since the US has so many dance teams. But are there elite dance teams from other countries registered for Finlandia?

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    345
    I'm not sure what criteria USFS followed to give the assignments. I thought the dance teams need to compete at Lake Placid to "earn" the senior B assignments (Todd/Jane got Nebelhorn). USFS occasionally will send young teams with high potential to test out their senior debut before international competition (Emily/Evan will do Nebelhorn before their first senior GP-Skate America). In Olympic year, USFS sent elite team (Tanith/Ben) to the fall international competition before the big Game. In this case, N/B do not fit with any of the above criteria. My only guess was the team and the coach were rewarded a free vacation. Their coach also has more free time this year than any since he has only few teams left under his training.

  10. #10
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I happen to like N/B from the start, and I am glad they are being more recognizable in the Sport. Maybe the USFS is giving them more practice in front of top teams so that the judges will get to know them better.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    345
    They're 12th in the world, they've been in the international senior circuit together since 2005. She has been in the international senior circuit since 2001 (with different partners). He's been there since 2003 (with different partner). I would doubt very much if the international judges would not know them. Not counting the Junior circuit.
    I like them too but I think this is senior B event, USFS should give the younger teams some chance.

  12. #12
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by samba View Post
    They're 12th in the world, they've been in the international senior circuit together since 2005. She has been in the international senior circuit since 2001 (with different partners). He's been there since 2003 (with different partner). I would doubt very much if the international judges would not know them. Not counting the Junior circuit.
    I like them too but I think this is senior B event, USFS should give the younger teams some chance.
    I agree with that.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,402
    There's still the Karl Schaefer Memorial (aka Vienna Cup) to which USFS can send a senior dance team or two... I've heard that this is a likely possibility.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-07-2008 at 02:48 AM. Reason: to correct a typo because I hate making typos!

  14. #14
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bismarck
    Posts
    12
    N/B have withdrawn according to the USFS website. Does anybody know why? I hope not from injury.

  15. #15
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10
    The entries have been published:

    Ladies
    Kiira Korpi FIN
    Laura Lepistö FIN
    Susanna Pöykiö FIN
    Jenni Vähämaa FIN
    Jenna McCorkell GBR
    Elene Gedevanishvili GEO
    Kristin Wieczorek GER
    Akiko Suzuki JPN
    Ana Cecilia Cantu Felix MEX
    Katarina Gerboldt RUS
    Nina Petushkova RUS
    Sarah Meier SUI
    Viviane Käser SUI
    Viktoria Helgesson SWE
    Kateryna Proida UKR
    Alisa Kyreieva UKR
    Danielle Kahle USA
    Anastasia Gimazetdinova UZB
    .
    Men
    Aleksandr Kazakov BLR
    Kevin Van Der Perren BEL
    Mikko Minkkinen FIN
    Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari FIN
    Valtter Virtanen FIN
    Peter Liebers GER
    Thomas Paulson GBR
    Karel Zelenka ITA
    Takahito Mura JPN
    Luis Hernandez MEX
    Maciej Cieplucha POL
    Sergey Voronov RUS
    Andrey Lutai RUS
    Vladimir Uspenskiy RUS
    Konstantin Menshov RUS
    Uçar Alper TUR
    Oleksii Blychenko UKR
    Shaun Rogers USA
    .
    Ice Dance
    Ina Demireva- Yuri Kurakin BUL
    Caitlin Mallory - Kristjan Rand EST
    Oksana Klimova - Sasha Palomäki FIN
    Carolina Hermann - Daniel Hermann GER
    Sinead Kerr - John Kerr GBR
    Penny Coomes - Nick Buckland GBR
    Natalia Mityushina - Matteo Zanni ITA
    Joanna Budner - Jan Moscicki POL
    Kristina Gorshkova - Vitaly Butikov RUS
    Anastasia Platonova - Alexander Grachev RUS
    Nadiia Frolenkova - Mykhaylo Kasalo UKR
    .
    http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/entries/

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •