Finlandia Trophy | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy

Sylvia

Record Breaker
2008 Finlandia Trophy is Oct. 9-12 -- link to the official site:
http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/

USFS published their entries on their International Assignments page today -- they are: Danielle Kahle [S12 at 2008 Nationals], Shaun Rogers [S8], and Navarro/Bommentre [S3].

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
USFS published their entries on their International Assignments page today -- they are: Danielle Kahle [S12 at 2008 Nationals], Shaun Rogers [S8], and Navarro/Bommentre [S3].

Can someone give me the link please??
I cannot find it. :no:

samba

On the Ice
I didn't understand why USFS decided to send Navarro/Brommente to Finlandia, since they're US Bronze medalists and were assigned two senior GP. This is a senior B event. USFS should have sent the younger teams for international experience than sending the veteran there. Due to budget cut, many young teams have no chance to do any international competitions.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
samba, I agree with you. It isn't like N&B trained in Finland or Russia and were close by.

But I'm very happy that Shaun Rogers is getting an assignment. Shaun's skating was rather in the doldrums last year. However, he skated well at Liberty this year, and I'm glad he's getting an international assignment. I even liked the programs' music and choreo, something that hasn't happened for me with Shaun in the past:

SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBz0MrAZDTw
LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_86VGAR_rvI

I didn't understand why USFS decided to send Navarro/Brommente to Finlandia, since they're US Bronze medalists and were assigned two senior GP. This is a senior B event. USFS should have sent the younger teams for international experience than sending the veteran there. Due to budget cut, many young teams have no chance to do any international competitions.
That is weird especially since the US has so many dance teams. But are there elite dance teams from other countries registered for Finlandia?

samba

On the Ice
I'm not sure what criteria USFS followed to give the assignments. I thought the dance teams need to compete at Lake Placid to "earn" the senior B assignments (Todd/Jane got Nebelhorn). USFS occasionally will send young teams with high potential to test out their senior debut before international competition (Emily/Evan will do Nebelhorn before their first senior GP-Skate America). In Olympic year, USFS sent elite team (Tanith/Ben) to the fall international competition before the big Game. In this case, N/B do not fit with any of the above criteria. My only guess was the team and the coach were rewarded a free vacation. Their coach also has more free time this year than any since he has only few teams left under his training.

I happen to like N/B from the start, and I am glad they are being more recognizable in the Sport. Maybe the USFS is giving them more practice in front of top teams so that the judges will get to know them better.

samba

On the Ice
They're 12th in the world, they've been in the international senior circuit together since 2005. She has been in the international senior circuit since 2001 (with different partners). He's been there since 2003 (with different partner). I would doubt very much if the international judges would not know them. Not counting the Junior circuit.
I like them too but I think this is senior B event, USFS should give the younger teams some chance.

They're 12th in the world, they've been in the international senior circuit together since 2005. She has been in the international senior circuit since 2001 (with different partners). He's been there since 2003 (with different partner). I would doubt very much if the international judges would not know them. Not counting the Junior circuit.
I like them too but I think this is senior B event, USFS should give the younger teams some chance.
I agree with that.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
There's still the Karl Schaefer Memorial (aka Vienna Cup) to which USFS can send a senior dance team or two... I've heard that this is a likely possibility.

Last edited:

chacha

Rinkside
N/B have withdrawn according to the USFS website. Does anybody know why? I hope not from injury.

ingwer

Rinkside
The entries have been published:

Ladies
Kiira Korpi FIN
Laura Lepistö FIN
Susanna Pöykiö FIN
Jenni Vähämaa FIN
Jenna McCorkell GBR
Elene Gedevanishvili GEO
Kristin Wieczorek GER
Akiko Suzuki JPN
Ana Cecilia Cantu Felix MEX
Katarina Gerboldt RUS
Nina Petushkova RUS
Sarah Meier SUI
Viviane Käser SUI
Viktoria Helgesson SWE
Kateryna Proida UKR
Alisa Kyreieva UKR
Danielle Kahle USA
Anastasia Gimazetdinova UZB
Men
Aleksandr Kazakov BLR
Kevin Van Der Perren BEL
Mikko Minkkinen FIN
Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari FIN
Valtter Virtanen FIN
Peter Liebers GER
Thomas Paulson GBR
Karel Zelenka ITA
Takahito Mura JPN
Luis Hernandez MEX
Maciej Cieplucha POL
Sergey Voronov RUS
Andrey Lutai RUS
Vladimir Uspenskiy RUS
Konstantin Menshov RUS
Uçar Alper TUR
Oleksii Blychenko UKR
Shaun Rogers USA
Ice Dance
Ina Demireva- Yuri Kurakin BUL
Caitlin Mallory - Kristjan Rand EST
Oksana Klimova - Sasha Palomäki FIN
Carolina Hermann - Daniel Hermann GER
Sinead Kerr - John Kerr GBR
Penny Coomes - Nick Buckland GBR
Natalia Mityushina - Matteo Zanni ITA
Joanna Budner - Jan Moscicki POL
Kristina Gorshkova - Vitaly Butikov RUS
Anastasia Platonova - Alexander Grachev RUS
Nadiia Frolenkova - Mykhaylo Kasalo UKR
http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/entries/

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The US isn't sending anyone in dance? That is sad, considering we have so many good teams right now.

samba

On the Ice
USFS sent N/B who withdrew. I believe they withdrew after the entry deadline. At least they sent two teams to Karl Schafer.:clap:

russell30

Final Flight
One of the favourites in the Ladies Kiira Korpi has withdrawn due to illness.

Good luck to Susanna Poykio on her comeback and we hope does well, could be her swan song year.

Laura Lepisto is probably favourite here, best of luck!!

Kati

On the Ice
One of the favourites in the Ladies Kiira Korpi has withdrawn due to illness.

Good luck to Susanna Poykio on her comeback and we hope does well, could be her swan song year.

Laura Lepisto is probably favourite here, best of luck!!

Sarah Meier as a reigning European silver medallist is perhaps the top favourite. But of course, the reigning Finlandia Trophy Champion Jenni Vähämaa along with Laura Lepistö and Susanna Pöykiö will be the home crowd favs!