Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Underrotation/pre-rotation in combos

Hm, the way I have been trained for combos is different - the goal is that each jump in the combination should be the same (height and distance). My coach looks at the blade lengths between take offs and landings of all jumps in a combo and corrects whichever jump a little bit so that they end up the same. For example, I have an Axel-toe loop-loop combination and we've worked on shortening the Axel a little bit so the distance is smaller but the flow out is faster and now the toe loop matches up to the Axel (the loop is still a squeaker when I am able to do it).

^supposed to look like a blade! C_T_T_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    BTW, some advice I've heard about combinations in general (from coaches and from at least one commentator on TV although I can't remember specifically where) is to try to aim for distance on the first jump, especially on the landing, and height on the second.
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Hm, the way I have been trained for combos is different - the goal is that each jump in the combination should be the same (height and distance).
    I think it's a combination of the two. Ideally the two jumps should be equal in height and distance but that not nessecaraly the way to think about it. Most people will loose speed during the first jump so you have to put more effort on jumping higher in the second one. Equally if you throw all your energy to jumping the first one as high as possible, you have nothing left for the second jump so for some people it might help to think about 'long and low' on the fisrt jump to maintain flow and hight on the second jump but what you see is two equal sized jumps. Every skater will have different things they focus on, so I see where your both coming from.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2