Moran Open -Rippon, Oda, Suguri and others | Golden Skate

Moran Open -Rippon, Oda, Suguri and others

MasterB

Final Flight
Hello all,

I just watched Adam and Oda compete at the Moran Open in New Jersey. For all the work he is doing with Morozov, Oda might've as well stayed in Japan. The short program was beyond boring. He fell on the triple axel, but the rest of his jumps had their usual beauty to it.

Adam is more suited for the passionate Morozov choreography but he too failed at the triple axel. Adam will have a lot of pressure on him this year to perform well since his spectacular showing in Juniors this past season.

On a different note: Ando and Fumie both withdrew from the competition (bummer). Elena from Georgia skated poorly, in fact she skated worse than last year.

I will go back tonight and watch the long programs. I wish them all the best.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Just because both men missed thier axles does not mean their coach/chreographer change was a mistake. It is still early in the season and they probably were not fully prepared. Thanks for the update though, and let us know how they skate their LP's.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
Weren't Oda's programs choreographed by Lori Nichol?

Thanks for the info and waiting for LP report!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand why it's "disappointing" for a skater to have a rough skate in August when most of them have only had new programs since July and have only had 2-3 weeks of training. Athletes have to peak, you know. Why in the world would an athlete strive for perfection at a meaningless fluff competition which is supposed to serve as a debut dress rehearsal for their new programs? If these major mistakes were happening at Nationals, then I could understand the room for concern, but this is the very beginning of the new season for crying out loud.

WTH?! @ some of the reactions I've seen from fans here.

Okami

On the Ice
For all the work he is doing with Morozov, Oda might've as well stayed in Japan.

His choreography was done by Lori Nichol before he switched to Nikolai.

I wouldn't expect too much from him performance-wise this season. If he barely manages to give an interview without having his voice shake, how is he expected to perform in an engaging way? At the time when he chose his music and had his programs created he was (and perhaps still is) under heavy mental trauma; losing weight, not being able to compete at Nationals and Japan Open though his Federation wanted to force him into doing so.
I think it's difficult to expect caring for an engaging choreo from someone who is just struggling to go on.
I'm not surprised his sparkle is gone. Perhaps he'll improve as the season goes on, thanks to fans' support, perhsps he'll never regain it. But I'm not disappointed in him. He has never disappointed me. Those who don't see how much he struggles to please everyone - have.

As for Adam, I wouldn't worry too much. At the beginning of the previous season I thought his programs were plain bad, especially the spins, but he totally captivated me at Nationals.

I wish them all the best.

Somehow I doubt it.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Sounds like the show didn't meet your expectations, MasterB. Well, it's only August.
For all the work he is doing with Morozov, Oda might've as well stayed in Japan. The short program was beyond boring.
But Morozov didn't choreograph Oda's short, Lori Nichol did. There're people who love her choreo, she's a popular choreographer, therefore Nobunari's choice might be justified.

Adam is more suited for the passionate Morozov choreography but he too failed at the triple axel. Adam will have a lot of pressure on him this year to perform well since his spectacular showing in Juniors this past season.
Ah, 3A isn't everything. Take a look at this:
http://www.isufs.org/results/wjc2008/WJC08_JuniorMen_FS_Scores.pdf
See how one can win a world title without one? But frankly, I don't expect Adam to excel in the upcoming season.
On a different note: Ando and Fumie both withdrew from the competition (bummer).
Oh too bad. I was wondering how Miki was doing.
Elena from Georgia skated poorly, in fact she skated worse than last year.
This is really heart breaking. I was hoping she'd find her pace.

libby

Match Penalty
I am especially sorry to hear that Elene Gedevanishvili is still skating so poorly. I had such high hopes for her after that very promising performance at the Olympics in Torino, but since moving to the US in early 2007, she just seems to have fallen apart.

Maybe if she had stayed with Galina Zmievskaya she would be more consistent, but apparently they had a personality conflict and Elene left her after less than two months and moved over to Roman Serov. He doesn't seem to be having much success with her. I don't know if the problem is a lack of training, a coach who can't handle her, physical changes, an attitude issue, or maybe just that she is overwhelmed by culture shock - possibly all of the above. But what a shame for such an incredibly talented and promising skater to not live up to her potential at all.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
It might also have to do with her home country recently being invaded. We can see if she does better later on the Grand Prix.

libby

Match Penalty
It might also have to do with her home country recently being invaded. We can see if she does better later on the Grand Prix.

Except that she skated so poorly all of last season, well before her country was invaded, so it appears that has little to do with it.

It's far too early to be judging programs at this point in the season. Lori has a way with lyrical type of skaters. Let's see the short in the GP. Oda has the Japan segment only. By then he should be showing his best. If Lori's choreography doesn't work he can easily switch to his exhibition of Tosca which was close to brilliant. The LP will interest me which will be the Morozov take over to make him come out swinging (those arms, I mean) like a boxer.

I feel I discovered Adam at the 2006 Middle Atlantics. The lyricism was overwhelming and he has always had good technique on what he can do. I was not overwhelmed when Morozov got the arms going. I preferred the Russian guy. I think it was Borodulin. Not sure.

Sorry to say, Gedevanishvili has never impressed me. I really do not believe she could podium in the Northeastern Regionals if she had US citizenshiip.

Oda has had the 3A for some time now. Adam has not. Let's see.

C_T_T_

On the Ice
Has Elene kept her SP from last season? I thought it was a great program and it was sad she didn't skate it clean. I was hoping she'd keep it another year.

I read on FSU Miki and Fumie will skate in the LP. ETA: Sorry Miki will but no word about Fumie.

My biggest wish for Nobunari Oda is that he can exorcise the mental demons that have plagued him for a year. If he can put the past in the past this season, and just skate his heart out without distraction and self-doubts, that wil be his gold medal right there. :yes:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
My biggest wish for Nobunari Oda is that he can exorcise the mental demons that have plagued him for a year. If he can put the past in the past this season, and just skate his heart out without distraction and self-doubts, that wil be his gold medal right there. :yes:

Beautifully put Mathman.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Well I was there for the LPs and I was certainly not disappointed by either skater. Oda landed a great 3A-3T combo off the top and a 3Z-3T late in his program, along with 2 or 3 other triples (the only mistake was a pop on his second 3A). Rippon fell on his 3A attempt (looked rotated though) and doubled a 3R, but other than that he was clean too. They both had nice spins with good speed and centering, and their flow and stroking is very smooth. For an early-season competition, they both did very well and I'm expecting both to have super seasons.

Miki did not skate (she sat in the stands in the row above mine with the whole Japanese team) but Fumie did. She double-footed her first lutz and doubled the second (I think) and she fell on a triple, but she nailed both flips and had incredible speed and lightness. I think the move to Morozov is helping her, and she interprets the choreo very well (but why oh why did she have to pick Otonal?!)

nylynnr

On the Ice
Obviously, we all see things differently but I did not think Oda disappointed. IMO he looked more powerful and mature than ever before, especially in the free skate. His jumps, including a triple Axel-triple toe, were crisp, and his spins, especially a new sit-change-sit, were better than ever. I thought he was in near mid-season form.

He is competing at Nebelhorn, then NHK, so he has plenty of time to work out any "kinks." As was noted here, Nichol choreographed these programs -- one last fall, one in Feb. -- so Oda has had time to work through them.

Murakami, too, looked good, save for a few of his spins (and those issues are relatively easy to correct). His quad toe was strong and he rotated the triple Axel, although he fell, and landed six other triples in the free. He should do well at the JGP in Mexico. I think Morozov is doing a fine job with these two Japanese skaters.

Okami

On the Ice
Thanks for the report, nylynnr.

Did Murakami use his hip-hop program, or rather some new programs? I saw a part of the hip-hop one in a Morozov documentary and I thought it looked good, but I never got to see the whole program.

He is competing at Nebelhorn, then NHK, so he has plenty of time to work out any "kinks." As was noted here, Nichol choreographed these programs -- one last fall, one in Feb. -- so Oda has had time to work through them.

Just to add - his choreo was changed in the late July/early August. Here is a message he posted at his fan site:
Good evening!

Nobunari here. I'm glad to write here again☆

I arrived in Canada! I'm here to have my choreography readjusted by my Mrs.Lori Nichol!

That aside, Canada is cool!!!! Today for the first time in awhile the weather is good, and the refreshing wind feels great~☆ (those who are in Japan now, forgive me!) The choreography adjustment is planned for next week, so now I'm just spending the weekend here.

Speaking of which I got e-mails from people who read the interview at Icenetwork.com, when I read them I was in shock!!

A quad in the SP......!!!??? I'll do it in the LP first, I was meaning to say, but it looks like I didn't transfer my thoughts properly...

That's why please don't expect it! (smile)

But of course, it goes without saying that I practice with all my power!!!!!!

In October I'm scheduled to participate in the Nebelhorn Trophy, in August I have a local tournament in America. I'm both glad & nervous at the same time...

I'll write again soon!

Thank you all for your support as always.

Nobunari, from TORONTO

MasterB

Final Flight
Moran Open Again -Adam and Oda ACT II

First off: I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section.

After watching the short programs I was debating whether to see the long program. Well, I went and it was way better. The crowd was larger.

Adam skated first, he landed everything clean with the exception of the triple axel and one missed triple loop. Please note that I will be harsh with the criticism because I view him as a top tier skater. I applaud his efforts at trying the axel because without a quad that jump will be key for him. The program was skated well overall but it lacks a certain spark during the footwork section. It just doesn't make you jump out of your seat, and I don't think that it ever will (I do hope I am wrong about this). If he skates the program this well he might be able to bump Carriere (I rather watch paint dry) out of that third spot. To secure that spot the triple axel needs to be landed clean.

Oda - skated next and opened with a beautiful triple axel-triple toe combination. he landed just about everything else but missed the second triple axel. The program overall did not do anything for me, it was rather flat. He did have a nice plain skating outfit on. The best part of seeing him skate was watching Miki (yelling like a banchee) rooting for him.

Fumie - to my delight she skated her long program. Her music was Otonal. She hit the first three triple jumps (lutz,slacow and flip). She popped the second lutz and fell on a simple triple toe. She rebounded with the last jump a triple flip. Even if she were to skate this program clean I don't think she could challenge the other Japanese ladies. I support her efforts 100% and wish were well. "I say skate until your legs fall off". After her skate she was thanking Morozov for his support. She seems so gracious and appreciative of her performance.

Elena - I can't for the life of me remember what she skated to. She opened with a beautiful triple lutz and then popped the flip, which I expected. She did managed to hit a triple salcow and a double axel-triple toe combination. She had on a terrible black outfit that did nothing for her figure and it accentuated her womanly body (if you know what I mean).

Forte - Joelle is an old friend of mine and I remember her when she was just a little girl. She had retired from skating but has decided to give it another try. She actually is skating way better now that she ever did. She started with a shaky triple loop but went on to hit a total of six triples (not bad at all).

Well, that's it for now.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Thank you for your reports of yesterday's and today's programs, MasterB.

She opened with a beautiful triple lutz and then popped the flip, which I expected. She did managed to hit a triple salcow and a double axel-triple toe combination.
Sounds heartening, especially the "beautiful triple lutz" part. A popped 3F may be due to Elene's trying to relearn the take off.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thanks so much for the review. Otanal is a beautiful piece, but rather predictable for Fumie. I somehow feel that we have seen this from her already. I agree that even if she is clean she will have a challenge making the world team....but i hope she proves me wrong.

Glad Adam and Oda skated better. I am interested to see how they both do this year. I hope Adam does get that 3rd world team spot instead of Carieere, who does nothing for me.